Sherbrooke Open - results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherbrooke Open - results

Sherbrooke, Quebec, hosted a 71-player tournament this past weekend featuring one GM and four IM's. GM Bator Sambuev won with a perfect 5-0 score.

Hopefully - some games will be available.

http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/index.php?...rie=37&id=2491

Re: Sherbrooke Open - results

Hi Hugh:

I assume it was just FQE-rated?

Bob

Comment

Can someone explain to me why tournaments in Quebec and Ontario hardly ever get FIDE rated even though they have the necessary players? This is a contributing factor to why Canada lags behind internationally in chess. The benefits easily outweigh the negatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
        Can someone explain to me why tournaments in Quebec and Ontario hardly ever get FIDE rated even though they have the necessary players? This is a contributing factor to why Canada lags behind internationally in chess. The benefits easily outweigh the negatives.
        Good question. I would think its related to the cost. The CFC charges $2.20 per player for FIDE rating events, even though FIDE only charges for every player calculated. So for example, in a typical Alberta event of lets say 30 players, where only 5 or 6 calculations are made, we end up paying 30 x $2.20 instead of the actual invoice which would be 5 or 6 x $2.20.

I think the CFC has to change its policy a bit on FIDE rating fees.

Comment

How to Get a FIDE Rating?

Hi Tony:

I've never quite understood this FIDE rating.

In a 5 - round swiss in the Open section, suppose there are 30 players and it is to be FIDE-rated.

1. Does there have to be a certain percentage of players with already established FIDE ratings, to be able to get it rated?

2. If I am playing ( since I sometimes like to play up if allowed ! ), and I don't have a FIDE rating, how many FIDE-rated players must I play in order for FIDE to calculate a FIDE rating for me?

3. If I meet the proper number of FIDE-rated opponents in the 5 rounds, do I need to achieve a particular result minimum, in order to get a FIDE rating?

4. If I qualify for a FIDE calculation, do I get a rating/provisional rating right away? or do I have to play a certain number of FIDE-rated games first before I get a rating?

5. Do I have to pay, in my registration fee, a FIDE rating fee, even though I might not end up qualifying to get a FIDE calculation?

Thanks.

Bob
          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 25th May, 2009, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Re: How to Get a FIDE Rating?

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Hi Tony:

In a 5 - round swiss in the Open section, suppose there are 30 players and it is to be FIDE-rated.

1. Does there have to be a certain percentage of players with already established FIDE ratings, to be able to get it rated?

2. If I am playing ( since I sometimes like to play up if allowed ! ), and I don't have a FIDE rating, how many FIDE-rated players must I play in order for FIDE to calculate a FIDE rating for me?

3. If I meet the proper number of FIDE-rated opponents in the 5 rounds, do I need to achieve a particular result minimum, in order to get a FIDE rating?

4. If I qualify for a FIDE calculation, do I get a rating/provisional rating right away? or do I have to play a certain number of FIDE-rated games first before I get a rating?

5. Do I have to pay, in my registration fee, a FIDE rating fee, even though I might not end up qualifying to get a FIDE calculation?

Thanks.

Bob

I am no expert on this, but I will answer to the best of my ability.

1. I don't know how many players have to be FIDE rated, but I will guess it is 3 as for anyone to get a FIDE rating, they have to play against 3 players.

2. Answered in #1.

3. I'm not sure what the rating floor is for FIDE. If you played against 3 FIDE rated players in one event, you will get "calculated".

4. I don't know.

5. That would depend on the organizer I would think. Since the CFC charges $2.20 per player for FIDE rated events, I would build this into the entry fee. In Alberta, the ACA pays both FIDE and CFC rating fees, so that is part of the reason why Alberta doesn't charge large entry fees.

I could research this further and find the answers, but I am sure someone else on here knows, so I will leave it to them (I am too lazy right now)

Comment

Hi Tony:

Thx for getting me started. Maybe someone else can compliment your information.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                Bob, you may read FIDE handbook http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook?id=11&view=category

Comment

I assume it was just FQE-rated?
                  The Sherbrooke tournament was FQE-rated only.

The RA Spring Open and RA Winter Open (both in Ottawa) will be rated on the July FIDE list.

The top two sections of the Quebec Opens of 2007 and 2008 (and top two sections of the 2009 Canadian/Quebec Open, which was held in Montreal) were all FIDE-rated. About 100 players were FIDE rated in each event.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                    All my Regular events are now submitted to be FIDE rated for all players in all sections.

The most recent was the Ontario Open, and the next one is the Eastern Ontario Open.

Comment

Yes, thats the Quebec open once a year. You really think once a year in a province like Quebec is enough? Judging by a lot of these tournaments you've posted about, many more could of been.And yeah, I noticed Aris, keep up the good work. Hopefully now some other places might follow in your footsteps.

Comment

Hey Eric, I have talked to most of the Toronto organizers and their claim is that only a handful of players are interested in it being FIDE rated (me being one of those handful) and the rest dont really care. I can see those players point, but I agree with you that to further Canada's progress, almost everything should be FIDE rated.

Comment

In Quebec - you always have the "politics" factor. You cannot have a tournament FIDE-rated unless it is CFC-rated as well. The only CFC-rated (open) events in Quebec each year are the top two sections of the Quebec Open, and (usually) the Outaouais Open in Gatineau/Hull.

"Private" closed FIDE-rated events have been held at irregular intervals in Montreal (e.g Le Bolduc 1, 2,....,n).

Comment

Working...
                          X