• Show
Clear All

• William Lombardy

William Lombardy is in the news.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/15/ny...near.html?_r=0

Re: William Lombardy

William Lombardy

March 15, 2016

Jack, I was just about to post this when I found you had beaten me to the punch!

Further on William Lombardy’s rent problems and eviction battle is at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/15/ny...near.html?_r=0

In May of 2014 he owed $27,125 in back rent on his home in Stuyvesant Town (NYC) where he has lived for 39 years.

Mr. Lombardy arrived in Stuyvesant Town in 1977, to help take care of Jack Collins, the renowned coach who had supported both him and Mr. Fischer. In 1982, he met a woman at a tournament in the Netherlands, and two years later they married and had a son, prompting a move into the two-bedroom apartment where Mr. Lombardy lives. In 1992, his wife returned to the Netherlands with their son, Raymond.

He maintains he always paid his rent but Stuyvesant Town records suggest otherwise.

In July 2014, a judge ruled in favor of the landlord, in part because Mr. Lombardy had not appeared in court. The next month, he did arrive to contest the new eviction notice, and Judge Anne Katz directed him to seek counsel through Manhattan Legal Services.
    Mr. Lombardy rejected a settlement and filed a federal lawsuit in September of 2015. The case has been dismissed twice.

After 18 adjournments, Mr. Lombardy returned to housing court on November 23 for another hearing. By this point he owed nearly $49,000 in rent. At that hearing he rejected the court’s offer of a guardian to handle his affairs. He left without a trial and the judge ruled in the landlord’s favor.

A final notice of eviction is now pending but it may not come to that:

“I don’t want the apartment anymore; it’s too late, I’m out of here,” said Mr. Lombardy, who said he now hoped to return to Kansas for good.

Comment

Wow! We're all familiar with stories of bad landlords but this appears to be a case where the landlord deserves some sympathy. Eighteen court dates deferred? $47,000 in rent arrears and the landlord *still* can't get the tenant out?
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

I guess being a landlord has its challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
          That is a bit of an understatement.

Comment

every coin has its flip side

Originally posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
            True enough. Every coin has its flip side.

500,000 homeless in the USA.
            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
            X