Save the date - Banff Open Nov 11-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save the date - Banff Open Nov 11-13

I am helping organize and play in the Banff Open this year. It will be 6 rounds, Nov 11-13, held in the National Park of Banff, Alberta. I am happy to announce that the Banff Centre is giving us our playing site at the Kinnear Centre, which will give the players a magnificent view of the majestic mountains. We expect about 30 to 40 players as it will be a modest prize fund with an entry fee in the $30 to $35 range. I am hoping to get a deal for players to stay at a local hotel, but more details will be posted later.

There was the first Banff Open held last year, but this is the first time I will be involved and the Alberta Chess Association is helping fund and run the event this year also. More information will be posted on the Alberta Chess Association's website.

Hope to see you there.

Re: Save the date - Banff Open Nov 11-13

Here is the link for the tournament http://www.albertachess.org/2016BO.php

Comment

The ACA is guaranteeing $1000 and the Society of Chess Aficionados is donating another $100 to the prize fund. See website for reduced hotel rates.

Comment

I am happy to report we are up to 20 advance entries. The top 3 advance entries are Daniel Kazmaier, Ian Findlay and Vlad Rekhson. We are hoping for at least 50 entries which would certainly encourage me to make this an annual event:) There is a lot of excitement here in Banff and even the Mayor, said she will try to make it to the wine and cheese party on Saturday, November 12. So far we have participants from as far east as Quebec and as far south as Reno Nevada and as far north as Edmonton. The $1100 guaranteed prize fund was a nice surprise. Thank you ACA and SoCa.

Here is the link for the tournament http://www.albertachess.org/2016BO.php

Comment

The Three Ravens restaurant located across from the playing venue has been voted once again in the top 100 restaurants by for foodies. http://www.opentable.com/m/best-food...t_rid=29984269
          The main courses go from roughly $35 to $45. I would advise making a reservation if you plan to take advantage of this great restaurant. Anyone from out of province will really enjoy Alberta beef. There is also MacLab located in the same building as the playing site and meals are in the $10 to $15 range, with great sweet potato fries.

Comment

I am happy to report, I got confirmation today that Karen Sorensen, the Mayor of Banff will be attending our wine and cheese party on Saturday November 12 to greet the players. We are up to 29 entries. For those on a tight budget there is also the bed and breakfast option. You can stay at the Tan - Y - Bryn B&B for about $60 a night. For those of you who are rich, you can stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs for $479 a night. Here is the link for the tournament http://www.albertachess.org/2016BO.php

Comment

I am happy to announce the Banff Centre has generously agreed to provide free coffee and snacks before each round. I have seen the room set ups today the the view is magnificent! Truly the best venue I have seen for a chess tournament.

Comment

Great news thx! Players jackd' up on endless amounts of free sugar & caffeine should provide for some exciting combos :D

Just a question; from all the games and/or game scores is it possible to determine the most awesome winning combo?

Comment

It has been my experience that that is usually hard to do. I have played in tournaments with a 'brilliancy prize' and it is often a painstaking task to determine the winner.

Comment

Thanks, I thought as much.

I was thinking of offering a SoCA Brilliancy Prize.

Comment

Yes, I thought that is where you were going. More trouble than it is worth, but thanks. We appreciate your donation and your work with the logo and the other help you have given us. Tournament had 35 entries as of this morning, but I did get an email with a couple of withdrawals, whom I am trying to convince to stay. The view from the tournament site is truly breath taking. Also you can walk out to a balcony in the playing room. Hopefully everything will go smoothly. Everyone at the Banff Centre has been very helpful. I have met with them to go over the set up etc, and hopefully no surprises. Also hopefully, I am picking up all the chess sets, boards and clocks, so people will not have to bring their own. I hope to make an announcement on Sunday.

Comment

This year's numbers shouldn't really be all that important, IMHO of course. I thought the tournament was more about location than it is about the number participants. This is a majestic location for a chess tournament! Next year's promotion should be amazing with all the publicity shots from this year's action and we look forward to contributing then.

Comment

Next year marks the 150 birthday of Banff. The liberal gov't has already promised free park passes for that year. This will mean that the visitor rate will be up considerably, but if we repeat in November, then it we should be fine.

Comment

I am happy to announce that Robert Sasata (2341) and Dale Haessel (2310) head the list of entries to the Banff Open starting Friday. Also we have 39 advanced entries so far, more than the Alberta Open. Maybe even more importantly, my wife did a Costco run yesterday to stalk up for the wine and cheese party on Saturday night with the mayor of Banff attending. I know chess players are not on parties, but this should be exceptional. We believe we should exceed the $1100 guaranteed prize, since we only deduct $5 per player and also add $100 that was donated by the Society of Chess Aficionados.

Comment

A total of 32 players participated in the 2016 edition of the Banff Open. Robert Sasata and Jerry
                              Kobalenko tied for first with a score of 5/6. FM Ian Findlay, Omid Malek and Georgi Kostadinov
                              shared the third place with 4.5/6. Final standings are available on the tournament webpage.

Thank you once again to the ACA, Society of Chess Aficionados and the Banff Centre for making this a successful event. We plan on holding it again around the same time next year. Also thanks to Mayor Karen Sorensen for mingling with us at the wine and cheese party. I got lots of favourable comments from the parents and the players who loved the magnificent views and the free coffee, snack and water service. Also many thanks to my wife Janice Price for her hours of preparing the food for the wine and cheese party.

Comment

Working...
                              X