Is the FQE CFC deal still on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the FQE CFC deal still on?

I recently had a question about CFC membership from an FQE member. I thought there was a deal for "exchange of service", but when I looked it up it said "for three years starting January, 2012."

Sorry, this is probably something I should know...
    Marcus Wilker
    Annex Chess Club
    Toronto, Ontario

Re : Is the FQE CFC deal still on?

Originally posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
    I recently had a question about CFC membership from an FQE member. I thought there was a deal for "exchange of service", but when I looked it up it said "for three years starting January, 2012."

The deal is still on. CFC members living outside Quebec (for example Ottawa) never have to become FQE members, even if they play in some FQE-rated tournament. FQE members living in Quebec never have to become CFC members, even if they play in some CFC-rated tournament.

Comment

Re: Re : Is the FQE CFC deal still on?

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
      The deal is still on. CFC members living outside Quebec (for example Ottawa) never have to become FQE members, even if they play in some FQE-rated tournament. FQE members living in Quebec never have to become CFC members, even if they play in some CFC-rated tournament.
      Louis, let's be careful not to give a false impression. The CFC and FQE offices have extended the agreement on the expectation that the politicians will come to an agreement soon. AFAIK, this has not happened yet. As such, allowing FQE members to play in CFC events (and vice vera) could end at any time. I encourage CFC and FQE officials to ratify a new agreement soon.
      Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Monday, 13th June, 2016, 10:57 AM.

Comment

^+1.

But as is my way, I have to say that it really bothers me that our nation is fractured to such a degree that we need to strike these deals.

Constitutionally speaking, there must be a way for both entities to end this division.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
          ^+1.

But as is my way, I have to say that it really bothers me that our nation is fractured to such a degree that we need to strike these deals.

Constitutionally speaking, there must be a way for both entities to end this division.
          Your statement notwithstanding, it seems as long as Quebec insists on having a distinct status, there will always be two solitudes...

It would be interesting if someone did some analysis of the growth(?) that each organization achieved since the initial agreement.

Not sure how to determine that: perhaps number of FQE members who played in CFC-rated games and number of CFC members who
          played in FQE-rated games. I know that the CFC published the tdlist.txt file containing membership information - no idea if FQE provides
          similar information. In any case, I have to believe the net gain is rather small - especially considering the limited growth of the CFC.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

^+1.

Well, is the CFC even capable of offering services in French? That will always be the problem.

What I find sad about this deal is that the FQE is pumping cash to another organization and we're not so sure what we're really getting in terms of services to the members.

To me, it seems like the FQE is just funding the Olympiad team.

Comment

There is no way that a reunification will occur until the CFC is able to provide the degree of service that Francophone players get from the FQE, in their own language. Why would the FQE agree to give up what they have for an inferior product.

Comment

The olympic team is not the only benefit. The ability to play in either CFC or FQE tournaments without needing memberships in both organizations is beneficial, especially for those along the Quebec-Ontario border. And don't forget the WYCC.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                  The olympic team is not the only benefit. The ability to play in either CFC or FQE tournaments without needing memberships in both organizations is beneficial, especially for those along the Quebec-Ontario border. And don't forget the WYCC.
                  So we're talking about what, 40 or 50 guys living in the Ottawa-Gatineau region? And why is it that the money goes only one way while the rating services go both ways? Never understood that one. CFC agrees to rate games for Quebec players and the FQE agrees to rate games for ROC players. Why is it that one federation should pay 8000$ a year to the other? That's not an exchange of services.

And don't get me wrong. I don't disagree on principle with the agreement, I disagree with the way it's presented to the FQE members. I'm your typical FQE member and I have noticed absolutely zero change in the services I receive for my membership fee. And yet I'm supposed to believe that I did get better services?

As I said, that 8000$ is not for services to the members. It's just to pay for the Olympiad team, CYCC and whatnot. If that's the case, why not tell it like it is from the start?

Comment

Well, is the CFC even capable of offering services in French? That will always be the problem.

What I find sad about this deal is that the FQE is pumping cash to another organization and we're not so sure what we're really getting in terms of services to the members.

To me, it seems like the FQE is just funding the Olympiad team.

To me personally a couple of changes I did when president of the EOCA that I'm most proud of one; working with Raymond Lacroix(sp?) to offer EOCA services in French ... a no brainier in a civilized world. Second most proud of ... TD remuneration.

From my perspective a Canadian civilized society respects all our founding peoples and reaches out to include those who have followed.

As president of the CFC I would have French services being developed in a heart beat! From day one get people in place to make it happen. I can't express strongly enough, without getting tossed off this site, how very wrong it is not to honor French AND its culture!!! Not just the language but the whole culture! My buddy Paul Maisonneuve and me had great talks on this very subject, R.I.P. Maisy. And I feel the exact same way about our First Nations people including our Inuit as I feel about French Canada!

What a complete and utter waste of our national identity the Chess Federation of Canada has become, it doesn't even know WHERE they are and how great they can be. Absolute shame.

On the matter of pumping in cash:

Keep your cash!

Does the CFC pump cash into Quebec? Um no, they don't (AFAIK). As for memberships the mag should be multilingual! And anything else offered in English should be offered in French too ... seriously, this is natural stuff.

Of Quebec the only thing I would ask for is an open arrangement hopefully as much as Quebec would ask the same of those outside of Quebec. No one should be forced to become a member of anything. All I'm interested in is being able to use the membership I have to play anywhere I want and have my games rated across Canada ... ALL of Canada, and the same true for any FQE member.

Sorry to rant on, to me this is serious stuff, as it should be to all.
                    Last edited by Neil Frarey; Monday, 13th June, 2016, 10:30 PM.

Comment

To me personally a couple of changes I did when president of the EOCA that I'm most proud of one; working with Raymond Lacroix(sp?) to offer EOCA services in French ... a no brainier in a civilized world. Second most proud of ... TD remuneration.
                      Thanks for your input. We need more people with your kind of mindset. I agree on both counts: language is important and TD should be paid.

Comment

Re: Is the FQE CFC deal still on?

Originally posted by Marcus Wilker View Post

The last I heard, (from someone close to the FQE) is that the FQE made an offer for the renewal of the contract but the CFC never responded. I know nothing.

Comment

I am not aware of an offer currently sitting on the table that has not received a response.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                            I am not aware of an offer currently sitting on the table that has not received a response.
                            You must have exceptionally strong opinions on this matter, Ken. Your sentence contained eighteen words. : l
                            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Just trying to make sure my sentence clearly said what I intended for it to say. ;^)

Comment

Working...
                              X