• Show
Clear All

• new Grandmaster, anyone?

Apologies for the delay, but this should have been noted earlier:

http://chess.ca/newsfeed/node/888

and

https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=2613280

way to go Raz!

and sorry for the delay. A great Olympiad performance by Canadian men, and crashes on ChessTalk are no excuse.

Re: new Grandmaster, anyone?

Congratulations Razvan!

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
      Apologies for the delay, but this should have been noted earlier:

http://chess.ca/newsfeed/node/888

and

https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=2613280

way to go Raz!

and sorry for the delay. A great Olympiad performance by Canadian men, and crashes on ChessTalk are no excuse.
      Congratulations to Razvan!! Well done.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Warmest congratulations.

Comment

Congratulations, Razvan!! :)

Comment

Congratulations, Razvan !!! :)

Comment

Razvan's application had its moments in Baku. One of his norms- the Spice Cup- was rejected because it did not have a licenced Arbiter involved. Paul Truong was the Arbiter and his FA title was accepted by the Arbiters' Commission in Tromso, but not ratified by the General Assembly because we were not quorate on the final day. Thankfully both Commission Chairs (Arbiters Commission and Qualification Commission) were receptive to my plea and the norm was accepted. Had this failed, a new application with the Calgary International norm would have been required along with new application fees and the title award would have been delayed until the next Presidential Board meeting.

As it turned out, only the arithmetic was needed to confirm that Razvan crossed 2500 during August and here we are. Congratulations Razvan!
              Last edited by Hal Bond; Monday, 26th September, 2016, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Congratulations. I hope to see him attending Webster University.

Comment

Congratulations to Razvan !!!

You are indeed a great role model to a lot of junior players in Canada....

I really hope there will be a news article on his journey to become a Grandmaster. An interview with CBC or something like that will be a huge story for many to follows....

He is Canada youngest Grandmaster at the moment...

To achieve GM title is really not easy and something all of us should celebrate....

Our Olympiad chess team has done us very proud as well with their excellent performance of 11th place.

Comment

Congratulations Razvan.

It is great to see such a fine young man achieve this outstanding goal.
                    Razvan demonstrates the benefits of hard work and sportsmanship.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                      Congratulations. I hope to see him attending Webster University.
                      Congratulations to Razvan but, Andy, maybe he has his sights set higher than Webster University.
                      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                        Congratulations to Razvan but, Andy, maybe he has his sights set higher than Webster University.
                        Webster allows him to continue playing chess in a structured environment. I think Webster is a great choice.

Comment

Webster allows him to continue playing chess in a structured environment. I think Webster is a great choice.
                          You seem to be making the assumption that he wants to continue playing chess while going to University... That may or may not be true (or even a good idea) depending on the chosen field. For example, if he chose the pre-med track he might not have time for chess; if he chose a more liberal arts track he might have a LOT of time on his hands... :)

It may be that Webster is only a good choice IF you are getting a chess scholarship... I don't really know much more about Webster. I see some others have chosen UTD (Univ Texas, Dallas?) over Webster - I guess it depends on your relationship with Susan Polgar et al. Now I am reminded of those crazy articles about Wesley So and his mother and the U.S. Championship etc. Suddenly chess with aliens becomes interesting too.
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I don't know the Preotu family so I guess it was presumptious of me to comment. All I meant was that perhaps Razvan is capable of much more than being on the chess team at a middling midwestern U.S. university.
                            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
                            X