• Show
Clear All

• Ilyumzhinov’s Travels

Ilyumzhinov’s Travels

August 25, 2016

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov was not allowed on the flight Moscow - New York

Thursday, 25/08/2016

http://chess-news.ru/node/21936

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov has failed in a quest to fly to the United States to convey personally his answer to the Ministry of Finance. The failure was at the Delta Airlines front desk at Moscow Airport.

“An employee of the airline told me just before boarding the plane that I was denied entry into the United States and the airline will refund me the money for the ticket,” said the FIDE head.

Earlier, Ilyumhinov said that in the opinion of his lawyers three things could possibly happen on his arrival in the States – 1) he would not be allowed in, 2) he would be arrested or 3) he would be allowed to pass the border control.
    _________

As we have just seen, he never was allowed to make it to the U.S.

Comments are all over the place – Why Delta? Why not Aeroflot? Why does he need a plane, when he has flown with aliens? Ilyumzhinov - a person who has organized many tournaments in which a lot of GMs have earned a decent living. Maybe he made bad decisions, but he did a lot of good. US Sanctions are pure politics.
    ________

Tarjei J. Svensen

FIDE President Ilyumzhinov's travel expenses in the last 3 years:‬

2013: €211,594‬
    2014: €184,299‬
    2015: €183,204‬
    TOTAL: €579,097‬

Which is the equivalent of CAN $ 844,455.31

Reposted September 26, 2016

Re: Ilyumzhinov’s Travels

Ilyumzhinov's Travels

August 25, 2016

Some Skepticism

Mig Greengard ‏@chessninja

And it's just Ilyumzhinov's word that he was talking to the Treasury about a visit, blah blah. Nothing from Delta, nothing from Treasury.

Mig Greengard ‏@chessninja

Wondering if any other sources have more. Being on Treasury sanctions list doesn't automatically mean being put no no-fly or no-entry lists.

Reposted September 26, 2016

Comment

Working...
    X