• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Dvoretsky has passed away

Mark Dvoretsky has passed away

September 26, 2016

From chess24.com:

Mark Dvoretsky, the world’s best-known chess trainer, has died today at the tragically early age of 68. His death was reported by the Russian Chess Federation, with a minute’s silence held at the start of the Tal Memorial. Mark was a talented player who switched to coaching at an early age and became a mentor for generations of top players. He shared his knowledge with the chess world at large in highly-regarded books, and was always open to new ideas.

Mark Izrailovich Dvoretsky was born in Moscow in 1947 and graduated in Mathematics from Moscow State University. He became a chess professional and rose to prominence in the early 1970s, winning the 1973 Moscow Championship, finishing in a tie for 5th place in the formidable 1974 USSR Championship and making a name for himself internationally when he won the 1975 Wijk aan Zee B tournament by a full 1.5 points. In the same year he received the International Master title and, according to Chessmetrics, was the world’s 20th best player. The grandmaster title (much harder to obtain back then) was surely just around the corner, but then Mark took the decision to turn his back on playing and become a coach.

His subsequent career was glittering, as his many students – Artur Yusupov, Sergey Dolmatov, Aleksey Dreev, Nana Alexandria, Viorel Bologan, Ernesto Inarkiev, Alexander Motylev, to name but a few – rose to the heights of world chess. Together with Artur Yusupov he held a chess school that attracted the likes of a young Peter Svidler and he went on to author two dozen books, including the seminal Dvoretsky’s Endgame Manual.

In an interview for the Russian Chess Federation earlier this year, he hinted at health issues that had curtailed his career as an individual coach – while also explaining how he’d managed to play a key role in the lives of so many players:

Do you now regularly work with any promising chess players?

No. At some point I realised that one of the factors of success (my work was almost always successful, over the course of my whole life) was that I completely immersed myself in the job. I thought all the time about the problems of my students, paying attention to the smallest details. Purely based on erudition, on technique, you can demonstrate some interesting things, but you can only really be a good mentor when you fully throw yourself into the work.

With age I now have less energy, and when serious health problems arose I sensed that however well I got on with a student it was very hard to maintain his interests and problems at the centre of attention – my own business distracted me. Therefore I no longer have students who I guide on a constant basis.

He was far from ready to retire, though, and threw himself into coaching sessions and his writing career.

Colin McGourty at:

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/mar...ses-away-at-68

Re: Mark Dvoretsky has passed away

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
    Sad news.

Good thing was that he shared his knowledge with others through his books.

Comment

September 26, 2016

A list of Dvoretsky’s books in English with publisher, date published and number of pages

1 Secrets of Chess Training Batsford 1991 218
      2 Secrets of Chess Tactics Batsford 1992 275
      3 Training for the Tournament Player Batsford 1993 189
      4 Opening Preparation Batsford 1994 304
      5 Positional Play Batsford 1996 288
      6 Attack and Defence: how creative thought develops Batsford 1998 287
      7 Endgame Analysis: School of Chess Excellence Olms 2001 260
      8 Tactical Play: School of Chess Excellence Olms 2002 264
      9 Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual Russell 2003 384
      10 Tactical Play: School of Chess Excellence Olms 2005 264
      11 Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual 2nd edition Russell 2006 408
      12 Secrets of Chess Training: School of Future Champions Olms 2006 219
      13 Secrets of Opening Preparation: School of Future Champions Olms 2007 277
      14 Secrets of Endgame Technique: School of Future Champions Olms 2008 227
      15 School of Future Champions: Secrets of Positional Play Olms 2008 240
      16 Dvoretsky's Analytical Manual Russell 2008 419
      17 Studies for Practical Players Russell 2009 216
      18 Secrets of Creative Thinking: School of Future Champions Olms 2009 206
      19 Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual 3rd Edition Russell 2011 408
      20 Tragicomedy in the Endgame: Instructive Mistakes of the Masters Russell 2011 264
      21 For Friends & Colleagues; Vol. 1: Profession: Chess Coach Russell 2014 384
      22 Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual 4th edition Russell 2014 424
      23 Recognizing Your Opponent's Resources Russell 2015 359
      24 For Friends and Colleagues: Vol. 2: Reflections on my Profession Russell 2015 360

________

For Dvoretsky’s words about the 4th edition of his Endgame Manual see:

http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...-quotes/page14

Quote #268
      Last edited by Wayne Komer; Tuesday, 27th September, 2016, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Its a bad year for premature deaths of chess personalities.

On his books you missed

Maneuvering: The Art of Piece Play 2016
        School of Future Chess Champions: Strategic Play 2003
        Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 27th September, 2016, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Sad news indeed.

One of the best trainer there ever was. His books are a goldmine for any student of the game.

RIP

Comment

Working...
          X