X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE General Assembly Decisions, Baku 2016

FIDE General Assembly Decisions, Baku 2016

September 27, 2916

The decisions made at the 87th FIDE Congress General Assembly in Baku, Azerbaijan 11-13 September 2016 are given on the FIDE website:

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...decisions.html

Some of them

1. To reject the proposal of the Jamaica Chess Federation to amend the GA Agenda by including a proposal for the FIDE President to resign.

(My reading is that the proposal never got to vote)

2. To approve the Treasurer’s report and that of the External Auditor.

(No discussion of Kirsan’s travel costs)

3. To approve the full membership of Kosovo Chess Federation and to use an asterisk with its name for the chess competitions.

4. To continue testing of the live ratings project and postpone the decision for the next year.

5. To authorize the Presidential Board to deal with the issues which refer to the interaction of several Commissions and approve the other Commissions Reports after necessary changes.

(Nick Faulks in the EC Forum today: So it's official - the reports of almost all Commissions were not accepted, and the GA has devolved to the PB ( in practice the Deputy President ) the right to rewrite them in any way it/he sees fit. There was, and will be, no wider discussion. This applies even to those Commissions, in control of the Laws, Titles and Ratings, where for good reason the politicians are forbidden by the Statutes from interfering.

I wonder how many delegates had any idea they were doing this.)

6. To approve the proposal of Georgian Chess Federation to change the venue of the World Cup to Batumi with the final match to be organized in Tbilisi with the extra day to be covered by the Organizers.

7. To award the organization of the Women’s World Chess Championship to Tehran, Iran, in February 2017.

(Nigel Short - 2017 Women's World Ch. awarded to Iran. Women forced to wear the Islamic hijab, flouting FIDE statutes against sex & religious discrimination)

8. To ratify the decision of the Presidential Board in Moscow, to award the organization of the 2020 Chess Olympiad to Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia.

9. To ratify the recommendation of the Executive Board to authorize Presidential Board to take a final decision on the proposal by the Chinese Chess Association for the modification of the Women’s World Championship cycle.

10. To reject the proposal of Mr. A. Filatov regarding the World Championship.

(Well, that is good news!)

11. To award the World Junior and Girls U-20 Championship 2018 to Turkey to organize the event in Manavgat-Antalya, Turkey, 15-29 September 2018.

12. To award the World Youth Championships U-14, U-16, U-18 2018 to Greece to organize the event in Neos Marmaras, Greece, from 24 October to 5 November 2018

13. To award the World Cadet Championships U-8, U-10, U-12 2018 to Spain to organise the event in Santiago de Compostela (Galicia), Spain, from 3 to 16 November 2018.

14. To announce the year of 2018 as the year of E. Lasker.

15. To approve the following as FIDE Honorary members:

- WGM Milunka Lazarevich (SRB)
    - IA Philip Haley (CAN)
    - IA, IO Ali-Nihat Yazici (TUR)
    - IA, IO Stewart Reuben (ENG)
    - IA Carol Jarecki (BVI)

Re: FIDE General Assembly Decisions, Baku 2016

Congratulations to Phil Haley. I have not heard much about Phil lately. I hope he is doing well.

Comment

Re: FIDE General Assembly Decisions, Baku 2016

FIDE General Assembly Decisions, Baku 2016

September 28, 2016

Peter Doggers discusses the Baku decisions today at:

https://www.chess.com/news/women-wor...ns-2773?page=2

There, Nazi Paikidze-Barnes answers Nigel Short’s tweet about lack of religious freedom in Iran by saying:

It’s very upsetting that I have to miss my first Women’s World Championship. For many reasons.

One assumes that one very large reason is this warning by the U.S. Department of State:

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the risks of travel to Iran. This replaces the Travel Warning for Iran dated March 14, 2016, to reiterate and highlight the risk of arrest and detention of U.S. citizens, particularly dual national Iranian-Americans. Foreigners, in particular dual nationals of Iran and Western countries including the United States, continue to be detained or prevented from leaving Iran. U.S. citizens traveling to Iran should very carefully weigh the risks of travel and consider postponing their travel. U.S. citizens residing in Iran should closely follow media reports, monitor local conditions, and evaluate the risks of remaining in the country.

Iranian authorities continue to unjustly detain and imprison U.S. citizens, particularly Iranian-Americans, including students, journalists, business travelers, and academics, on charges including espionage and posing a threat to national security. Iranian authorities have also prevented the departure, in some cases for months, of a number of Iranian-American citizens who traveled to Iran for personal or professional reasons. U.S. citizens traveling to Iran should very carefully weigh the risks of travel and consider postponing their travel. U.S. citizens residing in Iran should closely follow media reports, monitor local conditions, and evaluate the risks of remaining in the country.

_________

In the online comments people are criticizing the decision, and some, Nigel Short for being critical.

- I'm surprised that FIDE allowed and sanctioned this event, which subjugates women to customs, which are not necessarily part of their beliefs. I don't usually like many of Nigel Short's comments on things, especially in regard of matters of faith, but in this he has a good point.

- Nigel is a fascist warmonger, political propagandist and Islamophobe who wishes, like Hillary Clinton and half of Israel, to nuke Iran, so he makes the hijab (he can't even bring himself to say the word) a straw dog to make political points. he should be banned from FIDE.

- As in regular Olympics, security is a very important issue. Why not in chess? Why choose a country where you may not leave (by force), where you will be forced to follow traditions you don't want to, where your life will be at risk? These are the questions everyone should make.

Tim Harding on the English Chess Forum says:

Canadians would also be unwise to go, after the "Argo" movie - or maybe they wouldn't get visas.

I totally agree with Nigel that it's a disgrace. There should be a boycott.

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic....189201#p189201
      Last edited by Wayne Komer; Wednesday, 28th September, 2016, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X