CFC Handbook- Ratings Calculation Section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Handbook- Ratings Calculation Section

I do not believe sections 414 to 417 describe the rating impact for an established player when playing a provisionally rated player. Those sections appear to imply that the k factor for the established player is the same, and the opponent rating is the post-tournament rating calculated based on the average performance rating to date. Is this true? I always thought that the k factor for the established player was reduced depending on how provisional the opponent is.

P.S. Might be worth updating section 401 with Carlsen as the highest rated player ever.

Re: CFC Handbook- Ratings Calculation Section

Presuming that the CFC rating software does exactly what the handbook decrees, your interpretation of articles 414 to 417 is correct.
    Some other rating systems use "sliding" K factors based on various criteria but our system has only two K factors, 32 for players rated below 2200 and 16 for players rated above 2200.
    I will give you one example to show the importance of using the post-event performance rating of provisionally rated players. A friend of mine who plays a lot of casual chess at the chess club and seems to be about 1800 strength, agreed to be a floater in a local CFC rated tournament. He played only one game and won against a 1740 player. He was awarded a provisional rating of 2140 on the evidence of a single game. Should he play in another CFC rated tournament, he will probably end that tournament with a provisional rating much closer to his 1800 playing strength and his opponents in that tournament will be deemed to have played an 1800 player rather than a 2140 player, as it should be.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Working...
    X