Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Agenda for CFC voting member meeting Fall 2016 November 20 to 27

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
    I just dont understand why do they have to be so negative and to discourage people in the forum. Stay away from the forum will be the best way. It's already not easy to encourage kids and adults to play more competitive chess and then you have these people who always say negative things but CANNOT come up with some solutions.

And then they thought they are the one who is genius !!! and others PLAIN STUPID !!!

OMG....Are they stupid or we stupid ?
    The stupid ones you have to ignore unless they make a good point which you can then address if you notice it. The Chesstalk forum provides the opportunity to ignore someone so that you don't see their posts. It is a good idea to use this feature if you find yourself upset by what you read here.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
      I just dont understand why do they have to be so negative and to discourage people in the forum. Stay away from the forum will be the best way. It's already not easy to encourage kids and adults to play more competitive chess and then you have these people who always say negative things but CANNOT come up with some solutions.

And then they thought they are the one who is genius !!! and others PLAIN STUPID !!!

OMG....Are they stupid or we stupid ?

You and I, Gary, have very different visions of the future of organized chess. You want organized chess to be pretty much the same as it is now, maybe with a better more responsive CFC. You are much like everyone else involved in organized chess. You are on the inside, and you don't even bother to look out. Many of you have been criticizing chess for years, even decades -- the same complaints, over and over, because nothing gets done to address them.

Because I'm on the outside looking in, I can see things you cannot or will not see. I represent the vast number of people who are not in organized chess in any way (although I once was). I am describing THEIR views of organized chess, and you need to pay attention because these are the people that organized chess needs to win over. Without them, organized chess will just continue on its death spiral. It's a very slow death spiral, yes, that's why people like you don't actually perceive it.

There's a story about a frog in a pot of water on a stove element. The stove element is turned on at a low setting, so the pot of water slowly starts to heat up. The rate of change of the water temperature is so slow that the frog never realizes how hot the water is getting. Eventually the water boils and the frog dies. The frog could have jumped out of the water at any time, but never did because the frog NEVER REALIZED HOW BAD THINGS WERE GETTING.

Apparently this is not just a story. It has been proven to happen.

Everyone in organized chess (with maybe a few rare exceptions -- Peter McKillop, take a bow, and welcome to the "lunatic fringe" :D) is like the frog in that story.
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
        I represent the vast number of people who are not in organized chess in any way ...
        Good heavens, I had no idea. Was there an election I didn't hear about?

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          If someone want to see the articles and bylaws they need only look at the above link. The current articles and bylaws are contained in the first part of the above web page before the historical handbook.
          How many by-laws had the CFC passed? Have motions (like team selections and ratings) become by-laws? If not what is a legal name for them and how much power do they hold? The Act does not use "Motion" at all.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
            Good heavens, I had no idea. Was there an election I didn't hear about?
            No, there's just people talking that you don't listen to.
            Only the rushing is heard...
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Plz don't try to sterilize the community of chess. Negative commentary is incredibly useful.

I've spent my life in the business of creating ideas. I'm globally known as such. Even tho most (but not all) of my efforts have generated a humbling amount of positivity in some forum somewhere, somebody is crapping on one of my works ... right now ... for one reason or another. I don't have the time nor the staff to play catch-up but the ones that I do read say to me that I'm moving people ... and that's a good thing.

Chess Federation of Canada isn't the most vital entity on the planet ... we all know that to be true ... so be thankful for those that take the time to participate in a respectful manner.

Negative commentary isn't disrespectful, and to some measure it seems that here on CT there's checks and balances in place to take care of disrespectful comments.

Comment

...qualify as an Educational charity, but this was rejected - and we lost our status.
                Hi Fred, sorry to read that the effort failed to qualify re: Charity type: Education ... seems that it wasn't a problem for the Chess Institute of Canada to qualify as such.

...working towards being accepted into Sports Canada, which would allow us to issue tax receipts again.
                Good luck with that, Sport Canada is an entity which provides funding ... not charity status.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                  Hi Fred, sorry to read that the effort failed to qualify re: Charity type: Education ... seems that it wasn't a problem for the Chess Institute of Canada to qualify as such.
                  Hi Neil:

The problem was that, according to CRA, the organization trying to use chess education to get charitable status must have it as their "sole" goal. CFC did not. Chess Institute does.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Yes at the time of the annulment, we were made aware of what aspects of the CFC caused it to not be a charity - and certainly a strictly educational institution does qualify. As an example holding tournaments and maintaining ratings were part of the problem as well as selling books and equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      How many by-laws had the CFC passed? Have motions (like team selections and ratings) become by-laws? If not what is a legal name for them and how much power do they hold? The Act does not use "Motion" at all.
                      We passed one set of bylaws on corporate governance at the time of the continuation. There have been no bylaws considered or passed since. We have amended the handbook which holds power because I and the executive have honoured the promises we made at the time of the continuation. Once the update and subsequent review of the handbook is complete we can establish a new handbook or set of policies which has been stripped of all non compliant measures. A legal name for the handbook would be the somewhat incomplete policies of the CFC.

Comment

A legal name for the handbook would be the "Somewhat Incomplete Policies of the CFC" (My slight editing - BA).
                        :D

Comment

I oticed from your lik that the Mailing address is still Guelph Ontario.
                          That could have been changed very quickly.
                          So I guess nothing in your link is correct and we should not follow anything written there.
                          It is not surprising when the critics on chesstalk betray a complete lack of understanding in their criticisms.

http://chess.ca/handbook

If someone want to see the articles and bylaws they need only look at the above link. The current articles and bylaws are contained in the first part of the above web page before the historical handbook.

Olympiad selection meetings are confidential personnel meetings. They are also not member committee meetings. Not even I have access to the committee's deliberations.

http://chess.ca/handbook

How is one second for a reasonable time?

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                            I oticed from your lik that the Mailing address is still Guelph Ontario.
                            That could have been changed very quickly.
                            So I guess nothing in your link is correct and we should not follow anything written there.
                            I presume that you are referring to the address posted in the historical handbook. That address is no longer valid. You can find the address on the website at the bottom of the web page.

Comment

I presume that you are referring to the address posted in the historical handbook. That address is no longer valid. You can find the address on the website at the bottom of the web page.
                              I'm not stupid. I know where to find the address. You said you cannot update handbook without voting members approval. Well I think you better get your head screwed on and realize that some things ca be changed without a voting members vote. Really is the CFC an organization for NFP or a Joke.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                                I'm not stupid. I know where to find the address. You said you cannot update handbook without voting members approval.
                                I never said that. You are mistaken.

Well I think you better get your head screwed on and realize that some things ca be changed without a voting members vote. Really is the CFC an organization for NFP or a Joke.
                                I understand you are often cranky. Many things can be changed without a voting members vote particularly those things which fall under the duties of the executive. I do not have the capability to devote 100% of my time to CFC matters. The handbook has not been a priority for me given everything else on my plate. The CFC could survive without doing anything further with the handbook, even though it might get dicey if the executive changed.

Comment

Working...
                                X