X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nigel Short on the World Championship Match

Nigel Short on the World Championship Match

November 10, 2016

An interview by Tarjel J. Svensen with Nigel Short was published today on a program called Matt and Patt.

http://mattogpatt.no/2016/11/10/can-...-the-greatest/

Two quotes:

The British chess icon and former world championship challenger believes the contest versus Sergey Karjakin in New York will be close, but thinks Carlsen will improve his record with a new match victory.

Short has some fairly unique insight into the challenger’s development. He invited the then Ukrainian 15-year-old to a training session at his home in Greece in 2005.

The training session ended in fright and drama, when the Englishman was driving Karjakin and his mother Tatiana to the airport.

«We were almost killed. It was pretty unpleasant. This woman lost control in the wet weather, she skidded and came into our lane. If I hadn’t managed to swing into the opposite lane it would have gone very, very badly.»

_________

I think one may be legally able to watch the play-by-play in Norwegian. See the last paragraph of this article for details.

Re: Nigel Short on the World Championship Match

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
    «We were almost killed. It was pretty unpleasant. This woman lost control in the wet weather, she skidded and came into our lane. If I hadn’t managed to swing into the opposite lane it would have gone very, very badly.»
    The police showed up and asked both drivers for their identification. The woman objected, and Short demanded that she provide it because it's the rules. However, when he was asked, he indicated that it was an affront and a personal insult and refused to show it.

Comment

Working...
    X