• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do not pay for official wcc broadcast

https://worldchess.com

Worst chess website ever.

no video.

They claimed they would have Judit Polgar commenting, but there is no video feed and their website just gives error messages where the video feed should be:
    "Embedding is disabled on this page."

and

A network error occured. The reason might be:
    No Internet connection
    Domain Name could not be resolved
    The server refused the connection
    CORS is not enabled (see http://bit.ly/1ZxTYFv for more information)

Yes. Even their error message has a spelling error.

Can't even watch a demo board to see the moves
    The digital board that should show the current position is broken.
    The board pulses back-and-forth from the first position to the current one.

No online chat

The chat box stopped updating at 1:19pm. Possibly because all of the comments were negative?

Re: Do not pay for official wcc broadcast

It worked well enough after the first hour or so - (I don't know exactly when - I was able to rewind to the beginning - so nothing lost ).
    I didn't check the chat - I would tend to ignore that anyway.
    Polgar was better than I expected. Guests included Ken Rogoff.

Comment

Re: Do not pay for official wcc broadcast

Originally posted by Tony Boron View Post
      It worked well enough after the first hour or so - (I don't know exactly when - I was able to rewind to the beginning - so nothing lost ).
      I didn't check the chat - I would tend to ignore that anyway.
      Polgar was better than I expected. Guests included Ken Rogoff.

The video started working about 1/2 hour after the game started.

The demo board started working correctly about 1 hour after the game started; though it is so CPU and memory intensive that there is lag when scrolling up and down the screen (and my CPU and vid card are plenty fast enough).

The chat was delayed about 20 minutes, so conversations or comments on the moves had such a big lag that they didn't get going. GM Ian Nepo was online, but almost all of his posts were "hello"... probably because it took so long between his typing and them appearing online.

Having Ken Rogoff as a guest was an excellent bonus. So it was almost funny when they cut away from him to interview two kids playing blitz in the hall.

I don't have a 3D viewer, so I can't comment on their 3D video stream.

Having a choice of video angles is a good idea, but only one of them allows you to hear the commentary. It would be better if the alternate angles could be combined with the commentary.

Polgar's comments are good, but the broadcast seems to be aimed at non-club-level players, so her cohosts bring in as much non-chess content as they can. This is understandable, given the size of the potential audience, but I fear it's going to get very repetitive very soon, as the non-chess-playing commentators have already done the "how far ahead can GMs see?" and "Who was better, Bobby Fischer or Magnus Carlsen?" questions more than once already.

I liked the fact that interviewed Magnus's dad and Karjakin's manager during the game. This is one clear benefit of doing a broadcast from the site.

My Verdict: unless you really want to see the players sitting across from each other, the chess content is far better served by chess.24, where GMs van Kampen and Hansen work well together and do an instructive and thorough job of explaining the moves. If you're not so interested in the moves, then the official site gives you more to look at.

Comment

Working...
      X