Time for a New Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a New Computer

I'm shopping for a new laptop computer and considering what features I need to optimize a chess engine. At the same time I'm discovering that as a member of chess.com I have access to Stockfish 6 and the website database. Should I even bother worrying about chess applications on the computer if chess.com does it all?
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Re: Time for a New Computer

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    as a member of chess.com I have access to Stockfish 6 and the website database. Should I even bother worrying about chess applications on the computer if chess.com does it all?
    It depends on your wants and needs.

A chess engine running online will probably not give you the same CPU power as even a weak laptop at home, but it might still give you enough to do all the analysis you care to have.

CPU speed is so high with multi-core engines these days that almost any CPU will give you 3000+ Elo analysis.

You'll get a more noticeable performance boost with bigger and faster memory than you will with a faster CPU. If you frequently search large databases, then having them on a SSD will speed you up a lot (e.g. under 2 sec for the whole 6.8 million games in the ChessBase Megabase).

If you're moving from a 32-bit OS to 64, you'll get faster analysis and more RAM access.

BTW Stockfish 8 is available and freeware and is much stronger than SF6. There was a post about it on the Newsfeed last week, but the cfc site seems to be downforeveryone (sort of).
    Last edited by John Upper; Friday, 9th December, 2016, 09:29 PM. Reason: fixed number of games in mega

Comment

I agree with mr. Upper.

Multi-CPU will take care of analysis. Just make sure to set up the engine so that it leaves you with a couple of cores for other things. I have an old laptop and it's set up to analyze on 3 cores leaving the 4th one for other stuff and I can run infinite analysis without seeing a decrease in performance for light stuff such as internet browsing, email etc.

And a SSD is a must for accessing a local database.

Comment

These days even my phone can give me analysis equal to a GM. From my point of view, unless you are a seeker of ultimate truth just find a computer that does what you want, and the chess engines will work fine.

Comment

You might look at a laptop with Intel Xeon E3 like the Lonovo Thinkpad P70
          Last edited by Lee Hendon; Monday, 28th November, 2016, 01:03 AM.

Comment

I'm shopping for a new laptop computer and considering what features I need to optimize a chess engine. At the same time I'm discovering that as a member of chess.com I have access to Stockfish 6 and the website database. Should I even bother worrying about chess applications on the computer if chess.com does it all?
            Did you get any?

Comment

Not yet. One of my chess buddies works in the London Drugs computer department and he's researching for me.
              I've been really happy with my HP laptop but it's 8 years old and starting to slow down. It was recommended to my by Yan Teplitsky on Chess Talk in 2008.
              Paul Leblanc
              Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

researching for me.
                Yeah, that could take forever. You'll wait for a Boxing day then you'll see that there are no good deals and so on :)

Things to look:
                A display - Matte vs glossy. I prefer a matte surface type - ambient lights diffuses. Glossy ones reflects too much ghosts for me. So, many laptops are with glossy.
                CPU/RAM - that will fall in your targeted price range. More RAM could be beneficial for databases - players, openings, endgame tablebases.
                Solid state drive - then you should have an external storage for pictures/movies and other sensitive material.

If you again plan to use for a decade look for a reliable model. (A wife/me have great experiences with IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T series.)

Comment

Working...
                X