List of current CFC voting members?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: List of current CFC voting members?

Very interesting thanks for the financials, Fred.

You know, the more I think about it the more I like the idea of going a little further than my original position. I can fully see a very progressive and dynamic Chess Federation of Canada with having no memberships! Of course there would have to be an increase in rating fees, and we could even offer some sort of seasonal package deal to those who wish to play in 'x' number of events or more. But I think memberships are a thing of the past.

National Chess Day is an idea we were bashing around ten years ago, so yes I would love to carry that forward! I'd challenge our PM to a game to get some press! And yes! of course I'd win. But, I think tournament free entrance (no rating fee, no tournament membership fee) should be an on-going offer ... as free trails are with so many successful companies.

But for all of that, what the Chess Federation of Canada desperately needs is brand awareness.

Question: Do you know how many female members are currently in the CFC?
    Last edited by Neil Frarey; Monday, 12th December, 2016, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      There is a very special procedure for removal of a voting member. I did not think it prudent to invoke that clause when there was a person who did deserve to be removed. Inactivity is not a good reason or even one that is included in the reasons someone can be removed.

Member Discipline

The board shall have authority to suspend or expel any member from the Corporation for any one or more of the following grounds:

a. violating any provision of the articles, by-laws, or written policies of the Corporation;

b. carrying out any conduct which may be detrimental to the Corporation as determined by the board in its sole discretion;

c. for any other reason that the board in its sole and absolute discretion considers to be reasonable, having regard to the purpose of the Corporation.

In the event that the board determines that a member should be expelled or suspended from membership in the Corporation, the president, or such other officer as may be designated by the board, shall provide twenty (20) days notice of suspension or expulsion to the member and shall provide reasons for the proposed suspension or expulsion. The member may make written submissions to the president, or such other officer as may be designated by the board, in response to the notice received within such twenty (20) day period. In the event that no written submissions are received by the president, the president, or such other officer as may be designated by the board, may proceed to notify the member that the member is suspended or expelled from membership in the Corporation. If written submissions are received in accordance with this section, the board will consider such submissions in arriving at a final decision and shall notify the member concerning such final decision within a further twenty (20) days from the date of receipt of the submissions. The board's decision may be appealed to the class A voting members at the next regularly scheduled quarterly meeting.

The board decision may be overturned by a simple majority of class A voting members at the next quarterly meeting or alternatively in a special meeting called for by the board or 5% of the class A voting members.
      In other words: Let sleeping dogs lie.

Steve

Comment

....The member who released the information without the written consent of every voting member whose name was released would be subject to six months in prison and a $25,000 fine.....

This is in contradiction to what you wrote earlier:
        "The only person liable for the penalty appears to be the voting member who asks for a list of members and then uses it for some purpose other than the one for which he has a right to use the information for which is to contact voting members in order to influence or persuade them about a specific vote of the voting members."

I also am not a lawyer, but the way that seems to read is that it is ok to ASK FOR the list of members and receive it. If that's all a member does, there is no penalty for that. But now you say just releasing the list to another member without written consent of every voting member makes one subject to a penalty.

Which is it?

The intent of the clause seems to be that it is ok to receive the list of voting members, no permission required. It's what one DOES with that list that can incur penalties.

Given that, it seems ok that the CFC can publicly publish the list of voting members. If the intent was to prevent the list from being in the public domain, the Act would have been (or SHOULD have been) very specific about that.

I am not commenting on shaming members or kicking them out. I am only responding to the OP of this thread, who asked when he could see a published list of voting members. And I'm saying that it appears from the clauses that have been provided that the CFC is not subject to any penalty for publishing such a list without written permission from every voting member, or ANY voting member for that matter.
        Only the rushing is heard...
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Well you certainly have a different interpretation which seems predicated on a lack of reading comprehension and/or an inability to think things out.
          Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 12th December, 2016, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Well you certainly have a different interpretation which seems predicated on a lack of reading comprehension and/or an inability to think things out.
            Lame reply, and no explanation for your self-contradiction. You might as well have written: "Well.... our amps go to eleven."
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Don't worry Paul as the voting members die off they have to announce their retirement.

Comment

Paul, helpful honest straight forward talk from Drkulec is like what saying the Chess Federation of Canada, founded in 1872 ... LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                  Paul, helpful honest straight forward talk from Drkulec is like what saying the Chess Federation of Canada, founded in 1872 ... LOL!!!

Perhaps Vlad Drkulec should start a Youtube channel where he gives "fireside chats" to the restless CFC natives! He could smoke a pipe and look very presidential.... even as he quotes Taylor Swift song lyrics.

Or perhaps, Neil, you can beat him to the armchair!
                  Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Perhaps Vlad Drkulec should start a Youtube channel where he gives "fireside chats" to the restless CFC natives! He could smoke a pipe and look very presidential.... even as he quotes Taylor Swift song lyrics.
                    Loyal VM lapdogs at his feet.

Comment

Working...
                    X