CFC Newsletter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Newsletter

What is the current status of the CFC Newsletter? The last time I received a link was July 2016 (for the October 2015 issue) and we are now in December ...

(Apologies if I overlooked an announcement on this subject.)

Re: CFC Newsletter

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
    What is the current status of the CFC Newsletter? The last time I received a link was July 2016 (for the October 2015 issue) and we are now in December ...

(Apologies if I overlooked an announcement on this subject.)
    Frankly speaking this is one thing CFC really needs to improve on. Many members have voice out their opinions but seems like there is no clear RESPONSE from CFC yet and this is particularly quite disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
      Frankly speaking this is one thing CFC really needs to improve on. Many members have voice out their opinions but seems like there is no clear RESPONSE from CFC yet and this is particularly quite disappointing.
      Seriously, if you have nothing good to say about chess and also CFC, I think it's better to keep you mouth shut.

So sorry to have people like this around the chess circle
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
        Seriously, if you have nothing good to say about chess and also CFC, I think it's better to keep you mouth shut.

So sorry to have people like this around the chess circle
        LOL!!! :) :) The above text is going straight to my clipboard. I can see getting years of use out of this one. :)
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

I think the newsletter is far too long and holds very little local chess information. Making it smaller and getting it out monthly is far more enjoyable than reading 80-100 pages.
          We could always have a June big newsletter if the powers that be want that. But by the time the newsletter comes out most, if not all the news is old or obsolete.
          Why not each month have a game of the month that is thoroughly reviewed. More problems, or positions where we have to find the move of a current Master or Canadian game.
          Make the newsletter fun and enjoyable and people will praise it.

Comment

I'll take this on, so long as it doesn't impinge on John's (Upper) efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
              I think the newsletter is far too long and holds very little local chess information. Making it smaller and getting it out monthly is far more enjoyable than reading 80-100 pages.
              We could always have a June big newsletter if the powers that be want that. But by the time the newsletter comes out most, if not all the news is old or obsolete.
              Why not each month have a game of the month that is thoroughly reviewed. More problems, or positions where we have to find the move of a current Master or Canadian game.
              Make the newsletter fun and enjoyable and people will praise it.
              Hi John. As I recall the current format of the CCN was based on a poll we did either here or the CFC Forum. Canadian content was the demand, I recall. John covers all of the major CFC events and official FIDE events our players participate in. On top of that, any articles or games of a regional nature that I've sent to John have gotten in (I assume the same is true with other organizers).

"Chess Talk" CFC members aren't the only ones who notice the fact that the issues are falling further behind, and we (CFC Directors) are actively working to correct that. What if we continue this discussion on Jan 1st - and we'll see what the next 3 weeks bring.
              Last edited by Fred McKim; Thursday, 8th December, 2016, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                I'll take this on, so long as it doesn't impinge on John's (Upper) efforts.
                Thanks for the offer, Neil. Why don't you contact John and see if he could use your help.

Comment

Hi Fred McKim;
                  I submitted a game to John Upper from the Niagara Falls Open 2016 . I never saw it in print anywhere. To the best of my knowledge.
                  Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                  Hi John. As I recall the current format of the CCN was based on a poll we did either here or the CFC Forum. Canadian content was the demand, I recall. John covers all of the major CFC events and official FIDE events our players participate in. On top of that, any articles or games of a regional nature that I've sent to John have gotten in (I assume the same is true with other organizers).

"Chess Talk" CFC members aren't the only ones who notice the fact that the issues are falling further behind, and we (CFC Directors) are actively working to correct that. What if we continue this discussion on Jan 1st - and we'll see what the next 3 weeks bring.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                    Hi Fred McKim;
                    I submitted a game to John Upper from the Niagara Falls Open 2016 . I never saw it in print anywhere. To the best of my knowledge.
                    This takes us back to identified problem #1: the last tournament reported on is from the fall of 2015.
                    As I said earlier, I'm expecting some action on that problem before the end of the year.

Comment

Well, we had the Olympiad issue on 22 December; it is now three months later, and the last "domestic" issue was last July. Is it time to start the discussion again?

Comment

I did receive an email from John Upper on Monday (March 20) that the next newsletter would be out "within a few days".

Comment

I have little interest in the CFC newsletter... it is so far behind, it is more a record of the fact that events occurred. When I'm Tzar I'll scrap the newsletter, and use the money for something useful.

Pending my future Tsardom :D, I would prefer to see a short issue come out more frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                            .... When I'm Tzar .....
                            Pending my future Tsardom :D, .
                            An equal opportunity speller....

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                              I have little interest in the CFC newsletter... it is so far behind, it is more a record of the fact that events occurred. When I'm Tzar I'll scrap the newsletter, and use the money for something useful.

Pending my future Tsardom :D, I would prefer to see a short issue come out more frequently.
                              Are you perhaps considering throwing your hat in the ring this year, along with that of NJF?

In the old days they'd work their way up through the ranks, first being on another position of the CFC Exec (or OCA Exec, in that case). Sort of like being Secretary of the Party, rather than Tsar right off the bat.
                              Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                              Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Working...
                              X