2017 Saskatchewan Chess Championship ***$7000 prize pool*** FIDE and CFC Rated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Saskatchewan Chess Championship ***$7000 prize pool*** FIDE and CFC Rated

Saskatchewan's biggest Chess Tournament is back! After 20 years, the Saskatchewan Chess Championship will return on the 2017 Family Day long weekend. This three day event will have an estimated prize pool of $7,000. We have a whole lot of prize money to give away and very few participants so far! Special thanks to the Regina Hotel Association and our sponsors for making this possible.

This tournament is open to the public; any player may register in it regardless of where they live, age, or rating.

Register here: http://queencitychess.club/register

Space is limited to 80 participants, so make sure to register in advance!
    • When: February 17-19, 2017
    • Where: Executive Royal Hotel, 4025 Albert Street, Regina, SK
    • Entry Fee: $80 (Open Section); $60 (Reserved Section)
    • Format: 5 Rounds Swiss Style (1 Round Friday, 2 Rounds Saturday, 2 Rounds Sunday)
    • Time Controls: 90 minutes per player plus 30 second increment per move
    • Rating: FIDE/CFC
    • Other prizes: In addition to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, class prizes and/or special prizes may be given out depending on attendance. More info to come.
    • Eligibility: Open to the public, anyone from any province or country can play, regardless of age, rating, location, or skill level. Players who's rating exceeds 1800 should register in the "Open section"

Estimated prizes:
    Open Section (FIDE & CFC Rated) - 1st $3,000; 2nd $1,800; 3rd $1,200
    Reserved Section (Under 1800 Rating, CFC Rated) - 1st $500; 2nd $300; 3rd $200

Need accommodation? Special rates are available at the Executive Royal Hotel (rooms held until mid January). Contact us for the password, or any questions you may have.

Prize money:
    We have been given over $5000 in sponsorships for this tournament (Thanks to the Regina Hotel Association). All sponsorships and entry fee's are returned as prize money, less the expense of the tournament (Venue, arbitration, CFC fee's, etc...). This means that the prize pool will be greater than the sum of the entry fee's! Given our expenses, if we hit at least 60 players we expect the prize fund to be $7000. So please tell your friends and help us get as many people here as possible!

:D Special Events:
    Saturday Beer & Blitz: Join us for drinks and casual blitz chess at 7:30PM Saturday evening in the hotel lounge. We will be giving out one free drink to each participant, and happy hour specials run until 8PM!
    Puzzle Master Challenge:Each day of the tournament we will set up three special chess puzzles. At the end of the tournament, the top three puzzle masters will win a chess book of their choosing!

Registration List (Updated Jan 30, 2017): 50 players registered, a comprehensive list with ratings can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Tom Boshoff; Monday, 30th January, 2017, 11:30 PM. Reason: Updating registration list

Re: 2017 Saskatchewan Chess Championship ***$7000 prize pool*** FIDE and CFC Rated

Great news!

Comment

Re: 2017 Saskatchewan Chess Championship ***$7000 prize pool*** FIDE and CFC Rated

UPDATE: Preregistration list, Round times, and Pairing rules

Hi all, I tried to edit the original post but the link is broken. Some updates to our tournament below. Full details on our website.

The preregistration list has been posted and will continue to be updated weekly. It can be found on our here or on our website https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Round 1 will start at 6PM Friday February 19.

All pairings are determined with SwyssSys. We will try and avoid pairing players that play at the same club.

Comment

***Updated registration list, and clarification about prize money***

It appears I still can't edit the original post, so I will be posting updates as a reply.

Prize money:
        We have been given a $5000 sponsorship for this tournament. All sponsorships and entry fee's are returned as prize money, less the expense of the tournament (Venue, arbitration, CFC fee's, etc...). This means that the prize pool will be greater than the sum of the entry fee's! Given our expenses, if we hit at least 60 players we expect the prize fund to be $7000. So please tell your friends and help us get as many people here as possible!

Registration: 15 players registered so far, a comprehensive list with ratings can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...fvid=529272289

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Boshoff View Post
          We have been given a $5000 sponsorship for this tournament.
          Have you at least asked that? LOL

I looked at the website and could not find any sponsor names. Who/What are they?

Good luck with a tournament.

Comment

This tournament is primarily sponsored by The Regina Hotel Association. Essentially we need to fill hotel rooms to make this a recurring event. We also have smaller regular sponsors. The first paragraph of our website under the "Tournaments" page reads "Special thanks to the Regina Hotel Association for making this possible", and our other sponsors are shown on our tournament flyer and Facebook page. You make a good point though, it should be immediately obvious who's sponsoring us. We're new to this, so feedback is appreciated. I'll update the website accordingly.

Here's a list of all of our sponsors:

Regina Hotel Association
            Van Decor LTD
            Kingside investments & Insurance
            Saskatchewan Lotteries

Comment

Free drinks! ***UPDATE*** Special events added

Saturday Beer & Blitz: Join us for drinks and casual blitz chess at 7PM Saturday evening in the hotel lounge. We will be giving out one free drink to each participant, and happy hour specials run until 8PM!

Puzzle Master Challenge: Each day of the tournament we will set up three special chess puzzles. At the end of the tournament, the top three puzzle masters will win a chess book of their choosing!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Boshoff View Post

It appears I still can't edit the original post, so I will be posting updates as a reply.
                Hi Tom,

I was having the same issue. Try right clicking the edit button -> open in new window and then edit... worked for me.

Alex F.

Comment

Thanks Alex! I think they fixed this issue last night.

Comment

Just a reminder that hotel rooms are available through the Executive Royal Hotel. Contact us for the password!

http://www.reservations.com/hotel/ex...nKwBoCsiDw_wcB

Rooms are only held until January 15, remember to book your rooms early!
                    Last edited by Tom Boshoff; Tuesday, 3rd January, 2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

***Cheaper hotel rooms***
                      We're happy to announce that the hotel rate for this event has been dropped to $110 per night! Contact us or register online for the password.

We are now up to 36 registrations. Our capacity is 80 players, and I optimistically expect to sell out. Make sure to register early to guarantee your seat! Surprisingly, we only have one registration from Ontario, I thought this was the chess capital of Canada? Hope to see more ON players register!

Comment

The winners of the Saskatchewan Chess Championship will have their name engraved on this trophy:

https://www.facebook.com/QueenCityCh...64729947145263

Comment

I would love to play in something like this but for some reason the flight from Ontario to Regina is roughly as expensive as a flight to England. Weird.

Comment

Reminder - Tournament in one week

Wow, what a turnout! 65+ players have registered including 4 NM's, 1 FM and several CM's, including Saskatchewan's own Robert Sasata! This will surely be the biggest tournament our province has ever held. Thank you to everyone for supporting chess!

If you are planning to attend please register online in advance: http://queencitychess.club/register

Comment

Working...
                            X