Cascla (K'+|K-), or (<<'+|<<-): K. Spraggett vs Yusupov, Quebec City, M-2, 1989

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cascla (K'+|K-), or (<<'+|<<-): K. Spraggett vs Yusupov, Quebec City, M-2, 1989

I'm beginning my series of the 39 Casclas possible, to be illustrated by games from Canadian players, with one of the most famous and important games ever played by any Canadian.

GM Kevin Spraggett had defeated the #3 player in the world, Soviet GM Andrei Sokolov, in a dramatic quick games finish at Saint John 1988, to capture his opening Candidates match. He was now facing GM Artur Yusupov in the second Candidates round at Quebec City, January 1989. This is a very special game for me, since I was on hand for the first two games of the match, and after his win, GM Spraggett invited about 20 people, including me (who he didn't even know!) to join him for dinner! A very strong international tournament could have been staged with the guests at that dinner!

Cascla (K'+|K-), or (<<'+|<<-): White castles first on the Kingside, Black castles Kingside, White wins.

Kevin Spraggett vs Artur Yusupov
    Quebec City, M-2, 1989
    Reti, A06
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1131542

The match was tied after the regulation six games, went to two overtime games at regulation controls, and then GM Yusupov eventually prevailed in the first sudden-death game at faster controls (game 9).
Working...
X