• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Predictions

Here's my predictions for 2017:

Chess predictions:

1. Garry Kasparov will play in at least one FIDE rated match or event;

2. Kevin Spraggett will put out his long-awaited expose of the CFC, on his blog;

3. Canada will have at least one 2017 WYCC champion;

4. Canada will have at least one new GM titled player;

5. Canada will have at least one new WIM titled player.

Non-chess predictions:

6. The Toronto Raptors will win the NBA championship playoffs;

7. Montreal will play Chicago in the Stanley Cup final;

8. The Syrian civil war will not be over by the end of 2017, nor will ISIS be driven from Iraq by then;

9. There will rioting for more than a week in Jerusalem by the end of 2017;

10. There will be a magnitude 8.0 or greater earthquake in California.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Saturday, 31st December, 2016, 07:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: 2017 Predictions

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    There will be a magnitude 8.0 or greater earthquake in California.
    This has concerned me for some time. Why do you feel that California may get the big one this year? Do you think the arrival of this event can be in any way related to the social and political events of our times? Can shocking things like Brexit and Trump be related to geophysical events such as typhoons and earthquakes?

Comment

I was briefly listening to Cal Orey the other day, on a late night radio show. She thought, using unproven predictive methods relating to e.g. tidal forces, California was possibly going to get an earthquake soon. Increasing numbers of detectable earthquakes in modern times also falls in with prophesy, if one takes it with or without a grain of salt. Here's a link that briefly (and in a dismissive way) discusses a deceased theorist that Cal swears by (see the footnotes for further reference):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_sensitive

Comment

I believe prediction 1 cannot happen as Gary has a 2 year ban from FIDE.

Comment

Hi Garland

The ban is in effect only until mid-October. In any case, the following link mentions nothing about the ban extending to playing in FIDE rated events:

http://www.chessdom.com/fide-ethics-...two-years-ban/

Comment

A couple of belated (sports) predictions for 2017:

The Toronto Blue Jays unfortunately won't make the playoffs without Edwin Encarnacion. Also, the Toronto Maple Leafs will once again fail to make the playoffs.

Comment

Today's Leafs aren't the same Leafs of 2013 who bravely fought their way back down 3-1 in a play-off series to my Bruins only to squander it all game 7ven giving up a 3 goal late third period lead ...at home.

Brutal!

Today's lafs seem to have a very different structure. Competent and forcible front office, top level coaching, locker room of talented youth backed by capable goal tending ... all of which will be good enough for at least a hard earned 8th place Eastern Conference finish.

Sadly, this year my Bruins will be out of the play-offs once again. I guess that's what happens when ownership dismantles a 2011 Stanley Cup championship team.

Brutal!
              Last edited by Neil Frarey; Monday, 6th March, 2017, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                This has concerned me for some time.
                Why?

Do you think the arrival of this event can be in any way related to the social and political events of our times?
                I don't! Everything is connected, but not related.

Connected not by your shallow well heeled rigidly philosophic and institutionalized spiritual levels, but rather connected on a much more tactile dynamically fluid/plastic fundamental and elemental propagation level. Driven by one single chemical element and by its derivatives and by its mirrors.

In layman's terms, people are driven. Driven by a fundamental chemical element for and of itself. Those moments of discovery, those moments of 'ah ha', that flash of brilliancy, of clarity, all are driven.

As an example; Hokusai, Beethoven, the American Declaration of Independence, etc., etc.. All have been driven on a fundamental chemical level ...including ALL inventions. Edison was a driven man.

These above are not related, but they are connected. Connected not by some construct of spiritualism or by some flavor of philosophy, by rather by a tactile and primal element.
                Last edited by Neil Frarey; Monday, 6th March, 2017, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                  Why?

I don't! Everything is connected, but not related.

Connected not by your shallow well heeled rigidly philosophic and institutionalized spiritual levels, but rather connected on a much more tactile dynamically fluid/plastic fundamental and elemental propagation level. Driven by one single chemical element and by its derivatives and by its mirrors.

In layman's terms, people are driven. Driven by a fundamental chemical element for and of itself. Those moments of discovery, those moments of 'ah ha', that flash of brilliancy, of clarity, all are driven.

As an example; Hokusai, Beethoven, the American Declaration of Independence, etc., etc.. All have been driven on a fundamental chemical level ...including ALL inventions. Edison was a driven man.

These above are not related, but they are connected. Connected not by some construct of spiritualism or by some flavor of philosophy, by rather by a tactile and primal element.
                  Yes....well! Do we get to pick our one single element for ourselves? My guess for Frarey would be helium.....makes you speak in a silly, high-pitched squeak!

Of course I jest...
                  Fred Harvey

Comment

Connected not by your shallow well heeled rigidly philosophic and institutionalized spiritual levels, but rather connected on a much more tactile dynamically fluid/plastic fundamental and elemental propagation level.
                    Grandmasterov, if by this you mean to suggest that mass/inversion is both alchemy and metaphysics, then yes, you are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                      Grandmasterov, if by this you mean to suggest that mass/inversion is both alchemy and metaphysics, then yes, you are correct.
                      Thomsonov, seriously ... publish your work! M/I is brilliant and shines to this day.

I think there is a primal force that has existed before the dawn of time. It flows through everything that has ever been or will ever be. This force, Carbon (and its 'kin' such as Graphene, and all those within its Carbon Group* ... ie. Silicon et al), manipulates itself in a ever lasting continuum for the sole purpose of self-propagation. It could be described as nothing but an effin user.

With my first ever shorty, 10min film with the working title Lords of Graphite, I hope to bring this brooding seemingly all powerful protagonistic character to light. It acts for and of itself and as mentioned has pushed every discovery, all moments of 'ah ha', all flashes of brilliancy, of clarity, all pure genius ... for its own sake. Hokusai, Beethoven, the American Declaration of Independence, etc., etc., all have been driven on a fundamental chemical level ...including ALL inventions ever!

This master work has been in the mix for at least 8 years now ... of course not quite as long as your M/I ... :p

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_group
                      Last edited by Neil Frarey; Thursday, 9th March, 2017, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Today's Leafs aren't the same Leafs of 2013 who bravely fought their way back down 3-1 in a play-off series to my Bruins only to squander it all game 7ven giving up a 3 goal late third period lead ...at home.

Brutal!

Today's lafs seem to have a very different structure. Competent and forcible front office, top level coaching, locker room of talented youth backed by capable goal tending ... all of which will be good enough for at least a hard earned 8th place Eastern Conference finish.

Sadly, this year my Bruins will be out of the play-offs once again. I guess that's what happens when ownership dismantles a 2011 Stanley Cup championship team.

Brutal!
                        Hm, 1 outta 2.

In the 1st rd I think we play Washington(?) ...I hope we see some epic goal tending. Both Rask and Holtby have had near Vezina quality seasons! Having lead the league in both goals and points after a two game 100k rest Marchy will on fire! Boston in 6ix!

The Lafs play Ottawa(?). There's more Toronto fans in Ottawa than Ottawa fans in Ottawa ... lol! Ottawa in 6 ...yawn.

Comment

Looking at my predictions, #7 (Habs-Hawks cup final) was just blown out of the water, in the 1st round, even. Also, the Leafs got into the playoffs after all, as noted by GMerov. Everything else I predicted in this thread thus far is still possible... the Toronto Blue Jays in particular look set to make this a very long summer for Canadian baseball fans. :(

Comment

Working...
                          X