X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: CFC Loss of Charitable Status - The Separate Junior Program Option

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Erik:

It is my recollection (But my memory is medically defective), that when CFC had its Charitable Status rescinded, we did discuss the setting up of an arm's length separate CFC Junior Organization with Les Bunning, our pro bono lawyer who had fought the tax case for us for so long.

There were a number of reasons for rejecting the idea:

1. a separate bureaucracy, when CFC could hardly manage its own (And CFC already had the Chess Foundation of Canada as a separate CFC unit).
    The Chess Foundation is not a separate unit legally. It is run independently but in effect it is simply the way we organize our investments raised from the proceeds of selling life memberships and to a lesser extent the sale of our building. It puts the management of assets at arms length from the executive and voting members. The portion of the Chess Foundation which would be attributable to youth activities (Pugi Fund) is quite small relative to the full amount.

2. the issue was addressed as to who would benefit from the tax receipts from this new Junior Program..........it was felt that the families who would benefit were generally well-off; poorer families had trouble affording expensive world junior tournaments. It would be nice to benefit the families of these juniors, but at what cost?
    3. CFC wished to pursue the "Sport" route of issuing tax receipts.

So the decision was made to shelve the Independent CFC Junior Program possibility, for future discussion (And then, like many CFC good intentions, it fell off the radar).

Again, I'd like an exec (current or past) to confirm my recollection.

Thanks.

Bob
    There are lots of things the CFC could do with more manpower but at the moment we are stretched. It does not make sense to stretch things even further. Over the years I have been approached by people who have proposed reorganizing the CFC (including during the time of the continuation process) and separating out the foundation and the youth portion of activities. When it became clear that the youth portion of the foundation was much less (probably about 10% youth vs 90% adult) than the adult portion it became less interesting to them.

A youth oriented chess education foundation with or without charitable status can be very successful as we have seen and will continue to see across Canada. Charitable donations have been quite minimal over the years and probably do not justify the real costs of the CFC setting up a separate charitable foundation. These costs would probably be on the order of four or five thousand dollars per year not counting the additional burden on the executive director. Talking to the people who know the charitable donations have never covered these incremental costs.

We did receive a payment for the youth fund from Caesars Windsor and at a certain moment not being a charity led to some nervous moments but it probably went from the charitable donation budget to the promotion budget and we were able to finance our U16 Olympiad team from the proceeds.

Comment

• Re: CFC Loss of Charitable Status - The Facts

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
      While the CFC's international program gets no sports funding, the CFC dropped the ball as a children's chess charity could be set up as the Chess Institue of Canada has done in Toronto:
      http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/haip/s...3Bb%3Dtrue&m=1
      You could still set up five more Toronto based children's chess charities and perhaps one or two in Windsor and if you had the people to work with and promote these charities they would be successful. When I retire from chess politics I might do something along these lines. I don't have time for it at the moment.

Comment

• Re: Trump

Here we go again. This time the Associated Press talks about Trump's compulsive lying:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politi...id=mailsignout

P.S. Regardless of whether or not you're a conservative, how can you not feel embarrassed for the U.S.?
        Last edited by Peter McKillop; Monday, 24th April, 2017, 03:15 PM.
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Love 'The New Yorker'.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borow...ttack-on-trump
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
            Great article Peter, thanks.
            I am happy to see Trump's approval polls dropping again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              Great article Peter, thanks.
              I am happy to see Trump's approval polls dropping again.

And as Trump's approval ratings drop in these first 100 days.... Stephen Colbert's ratings are skyrocketing!

Colbert's nightly monologues deriding Trump are priceless. I've been watching the Youtube videos every day.
              Only the rushing is heard...
              Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                And as Trump's approval ratings drop in these first 100 days.... Stephen Colbert's ratings are skyrocketing!

Colbert's nightly monologues deriding Trump are priceless. I've been watching the Youtube videos every day.
                Hi Guys:

My opinion is a bit different.........humour is being generated by Trump by the ton!

But, for fear of being told I'm raining on your parade, have you noticed the changes to the USA that have been made in 100 days by the Republican Dictatorship, with the Donald figurehead........IMHO, no laughing matter.

Bob A

Comment

I think the biggest change is that the fog of secrecy around a number of Obama legacy "achievements" like the Iran nuclear deal and UN payments for global warming have been cleared away.

Comment

Bernie Sanders on Trumps first 100 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmR6XYVEKWI

Comment

Bernie who?

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                        Bernie who?
                        Given your apparent grasp of American politics, it's hard to tell if you're being serious or not.
                        everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Fwiw, I just lowered my shields out of curiousity to view a known troll's post. As usual, it wasn't worth it.
                          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Fwiw, you're a biblical literalist in 2017, and that's hilarious.

(If you want to sling ad hominem attacks on the Internet, you know I'm all for it.)
                            everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Pretty funny comment by Jeopardy! legend Ken Jennings:

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/stat...10172706271232

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                                Fwiw, you're a biblical literalist in 2017, and that's hilarious.

(If you want to sling ad hominem attacks on the Internet, you know I'm all for it.)
                                For what it's worth, you seem to be a immigrant (2nd, 3rd, etc. generation - probably born in Canada) who is happy to come to/or be part of a Judeo-Christian society and then take a dump on it, while enjoying the verbal freedom your home country would most likely never allow. Whether you are a good or bad person, I have no idea. But would it kill you to be thankful for the society you are in, which has accepted you so readily? People like Bonham get so angry at Trump - well that's why Trump has succeeded so very much, people are tired of those who abuse their freedoms. The very liberal-minded people continue to be abusive, but it is their "right". Taking issue with the bible or even biblical literalism makes you contradict yourself - look where you have chosen to live? Guess where the basis of the law comes from?

Comment

Working...
                                X