• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Trump

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
    Bob can ignore that message if he wants to
    Thank you.

Arguing with Vlad over climate change is pointless.
    The real danger is Donald Trump. I see he just fired FBI Director Comey.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
      Thank you.

Yeah, I read about that on Reddit.

Comment

Thank you.

Yes, and previously Sally Yates was fired as Attorney General, for defying an unconstitutional travel order imposed by HER BOSS, Donald Trump. She put her neck on the line for what she believed in, and is today being hailed as a Patriot. She has, in my estimation, complete credibility in anything she does or says. On the other hand, I have to regretfully say Bob that you have, in my estimation, zero credibility until such time as you stand up for your beliefs.

Vlad Drkulec has outright called you a liar. You have been silent in response to that. He can work with you because he has no real conviction, he only has self interest in the fact that you are evidently doing a good job for him. You need to show him that you don't work for someone who calls you a liar.

If you just can't "afford" to do that at this moment, understood, but the time has come to do something about that.

And by the way, I don't just talk the talk. I walked out last year on a company that was paying me VERY well when I found out they engage in anti-American business practices. Cost me money, but my conscience is clear.
        Last edited by Paul Bonham; Wednesday, 10th May, 2017, 01:11 AM. Reason: unconstitutional
        Only the rushing is heard...
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

.... I have to regretfully say Bob that you have, in my estimation, zero credibility until such time as you stand up for your beliefs.
          Well, that's not very nice. :(
          If you want an intelligent discussion regarding Trump, great.
          If instead you continue to troll me, forget it.
          I don't get drawn into these ridiculous chess talk flame wars (anymore).
          In my opinion, you lose credibility the more you indulge in them.

Comment

Bob, it isn't about trolling or about being nice or not being nice. If I wanted to troll someone, it certainly wouldn't be you.

Neither is it about flame wars. I'm not saying you should argue with Vlad -- I agree with you 100% that would be pointless.

This is about people with decent and humane values doing what needs to be done against soulless, heartless, selfish right-wingers. Not just talking about it: DOING IT. The election of Trump has caused a call to arms, and in that call to arms, it must be remembered that the pen is mightier than the sword. But in your particular case, you could take a step that demonstrates the strength of your beliefs by disconnecting yourself from Vlad Drkulec's CFC.

And it isn't just Vlad Drkulec... it's Kirsan and FIDE and the Russian mob.... just the wrong side to be on for someone of your values and ethics.

I'm not understanding why you aren't seeing that. What is blocking you?

Bernie Sanders didn't just slink into the background. He's still out there doing what needs to be done. You talk about credibility and flame wars: I can agree with your point, but I don't engage in flame wars. I engage in logical debate, and my opponents turn it into flame wars because that's all they have. Vlad Drkulec regularly projects his own weaknesses onto others, it is his regular and predictable MO. You should realize, Bob, that this is just a tactic, like a cheapo chess tactic when one is being strategically overwhelmed.

Does that mean I should stop pointing out logical fallacies? No! You wouldn't want Bernie Sanders to stop pointing out Trump's logical fallacies, would you?

Well, it appears I've taken you out of your comfort zone. So I'll stop here and you can just go on working under Vlad and letting him step all over you and your beliefs, demonstrating to anyone with eyes to see that you are completely under Vlad's thumb. The only thing I can conclude is that it's a sad situation.
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

When we were awaiting the decision of the Canadian Olympic Committee on recognition of the CFC as the national sporting federation for chess, things that came up on Chesstalk came up in the discussions with members of the committee. If we are going to maintain a presence on Chesstalk being engaged in flame wars is a necessity. The alternative is to voice no dissent and by default assent to what the trolls are saying. The only way I could see that working would be to invoke a policy which did not allow members of the board and employees to participate in Chesstalk. The downside of that would be that given the higher volume of posters on Chesstalk people would not find out about certain things that we need to disseminate such as the open spots for Canadians at the Continental Championship. There would be a number of unfortunate failures to communicate and people that deserved opportunities would lose them. From my point of view participating in Chesstalk is the lesser evil but just barely.

Chesstalk is largely a lawless zone. People have to start doing things which would cost the proprietor of the board large sums of money in a lawsuit before things get removed. My experience of courts is that even when you win, you lose and it is not worth it but if you are resolved you will win even in the face of implacable foes with unlimited resources. You can even make the bureaucrats cry when they realize that you will not compromise and they come to the ugly understanding about how powerless they really are when you are willing to dig your heels in and they fully understand the meaning of a scorched earth policy on your part.

My being involved in flame wars is based on my understanding of social psychology and marketing and what I perceive to be the best interests of the CFC. Simply publicly disagreeing with some of these people changes and degrades the propaganda value of their posts. Certain people like Paul Bonham and others who have since disappeared from Chesstalk don't need to be responded to since they have long ago lost all credibility and moved into the realm of ridiculous hyperbole (for example in the case of Bonham recently comparing me to Charles Manson).

At some point I will have to prioritize what I devote myself to and the flame wars will stop most likely at the same time that I give up on being CFC prez and no longer have the responsibility of defending the CFC. Until then, I will try to treat those who attack unfairly to an unpleasant experience though to be fair it is dialed down quite significantly from the old days.

Comment

Bob, it isn't about trolling or about being nice or not being nice. If I wanted to troll someone, it certainly wouldn't be you.

Neither is it about flame wars. I'm not saying you should argue with Vlad -- I agree with you 100% that would be pointless.

This is about people with decent and humane values doing what needs to be done against soulless, heartless, selfish right-wingers. Not just talking about it: DOING IT. The election of Trump has caused a call to arms, and in that call to arms, it must be remembered that the pen is mightier than the sword. But in your particular case, you could take a step that demonstrates the strength of your beliefs by disconnecting yourself from Vlad Drkulec's CFC.

And it isn't just Vlad Drkulec... it's Kirsan and FIDE and the Russian mob.... just the wrong side to be on for someone of your values and ethics.

I'm not understanding why you aren't seeing that. What is blocking you?

Bernie Sanders didn't just slink into the background. He's still out there doing what needs to be done. You talk about credibility and flame wars: I can agree with your point, but I don't engage in flame wars. I engage in logical debate, and my opponents turn it into flame wars because that's all they have. Vlad Drkulec regularly projects his own weaknesses onto others, it is his regular and predictable MO. You should realize, Bob, that this is just a tactic, like a cheapo chess tactic when one is being strategically overwhelmed.

Does that mean I should stop pointing out logical fallacies? No! You wouldn't want Bernie Sanders to stop pointing out Trump's logical fallacies, would you?

Well, it appears I've taken you out of your comfort zone. So I'll stop here and you can just go on working under Vlad and letting him step all over you and your beliefs, demonstrating to anyone with eyes to see that you are completely under Vlad's thumb. The only thing I can conclude is that it's a sad situation.

A somewhat related story:

STAND THE HELL UP

Republicans being asked to stand up against the damage being done to their own party by Trump.
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

I think firing FBI Director James Comey will be the beginning of the end of Donald Trump.
                  I really enjoy this episode of a closer look with Seth Meyers.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Hn8Ai1sSY

Comment

I think firing FBI Director James Comey will be the beginning of the end of Donald Trump.
                    That what they said about the Billy Bush tapes.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                      If we are going to maintain a presence on Chesstalk being engaged in flame wars is a necessity.
                      It's hilarious how self-serious you are. I hope you never grow up.
                      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                        It's hilarious how self-serious you are. I hope you never grow up.
                        No need to when the best trolls are of your low quality. Oh for the old days when the trolls were at least intelligent and could form a logical argument to snare the unwary.

Comment

On the one hand I can't form an argument; on the other hand my arguments brainwashed nearly half of ChessTalk into thinking you and/or Whissell are racists. Can you guys make up your minds?
                          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                            On the one hand I can't form an argument; on the other hand my arguments brainwashed nearly half of ChessTalk into thinking you and/or Whissell are racists. Can you guys make up your minds?
                            You really are not very bright and do have to grasp at straws to achieve small perceived though largely hollow victories. I'm sure you got the anonymous coward, anti-Christian bigot, anti-CFC, atheist and troll vote locked up. As it is only 36% agreed with your assertion with respect to my comments. Since the vast majority of the chess public stays off of chesstalk to avoid trolls like you this means based on the feedback that I get something like 96% are not buying your arguments. I think your results would be more meaningful if they were not anonymous.

If there is an truly innocent person languishing in prison and you are their last, best hope I pity the fool who does not ask for a different lawyer preferably one who may have scored lower on the LSAT but has some reasoning skills and perhaps a more persuasive style of argument. Though I guess it is an ideal job for you as you can always blame your lack of success on racial prejudice, Trump, Trump voters and Trump appointed judges. From my perspective, it looks like that's all you have.

Comment

Here's a neat and tidy summary of the week's Comey-related events, from The New Yorker. I'll bet Spicer is soooo happy that his naval reserve commitment was scheduled this week. :)

http://www.newyorker.com/news/amy-da...cid=mod-latest
                              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

I've read that Bernie Sanders is the most popular politician in the country. Is anyone here FEELING THE BERN?

Comment

Working...
                                X