Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Trump

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    It's been 7 years since Obamacare was signed into law. The Republican's have been whining about it since day one. I don't understand why they are now putting forward a bill that doesn't even have the full support of their own party. What have they been doing for the last 7 years?
    Trump promised the new health care plan would have lower premiums, better coverage, nobody left behind, everyone on Obamacare would be covered. Also that the repeal and replacement plan would happen simultaneously. Will they hold him to his promise?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
      There's a couple things I can say from having lived in the U.S. for 20 years now.
      Are you still a non-citizen? Have you travelled since Trump took office? I'm travelling next week (albeit domestically) for the first time since he took office and I'm eager to see how different things are for someone on a visa. I've heard bad stories, but I think they're rare occurrences. Still, I've got an Eastern name and a thick beard; airports are always an adventure. Things can only be worse now that the fascist crackdown has begun.
      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
        Are you still a non-citizen? Have you travelled since Trump took office? I'm travelling next week (albeit domestically) for the first time since he took office and I'm eager to see how different things are for someone on a visa. I've heard bad stories, but I think they're rare occurrences. Still, I've got an Eastern name and a thick beard; airports are always an adventure. Things can only be worse now that the fascist crackdown has begun.
        That is correct, I am not a U.S. citizen. I haven't left the U.S. in a few years. although I maintain my Canadian passport.

I have traveled a lot within the U.S., but I always do so via driving. I'm not afraid to fly, the issue for me is giving money to companies who treat me as they would treat a piece of luggage. I did travel by plane for a time, but now I am totally against the major airlines and their way of doing business. It boggles my mind to think what crap people put up with just to go on vacation somewhere.

It is my opinion that much more change could be accomplished if people realized they have much more power with what they do with their money than with who they vote for. I am thinking it may be worthwhile to try and form a group of anti-Trump activists who do not protest in the streets, but instead who refuse to spend any of their disposable income (for those who have that!) and do not even invest that income, but instead pack it away, "under the mattress" so to speak. If enough anti-Trump people did that, Trump could not grow the U.S. economy. But I doubt there are enough anti-Trump people who would do that. They will attend marches and protests, but when it comes to spending money, they have (generally speaking) no discipline. Do you have any thoughts on that?

I grew up loving sports, especially hockey and football. Today I think these major hockey and football and baseball and basketball leagues are keeping people's attention from the really important things. I think society in general needs a major reset in terms of what is important. I won't believe any major meaningful change is afoot until masses of people stop attending these major sporting events, which I don't expect to happen anytime soon. It's not that I'm anti-sports, but rather i think sports needs to be put into its true perspective. Saving the planet is more important than who wins March Madness.

Good luck with your travel.
        Only the rushing is heard...
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Travel was without incidents for this Eastern European born with a Latin American born wife. We are Canadian citizens for a long time(20 yrs+). We left on March 3rd and returned yesterday (13th)
          We traveled to San Francisco from Ottawa (connecting flight at Washington Dulles) and had no problems - Immigration officers were very accommodating and joking with us (both ways).
          Of course, I do not "blame" this on Trump :)

Comment

Further evidence (as if any further evidence is needed!) that Little Donny Pee Pee is a weasel:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...nymore/520839/
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

In case you missed it in February, here's your chance to stand in awe of the Trump intellect and eloquence at work. No doubt Trump's remarks will appear in anthologies of the world's greatest speeches for centuries to come!

Transcript of President Donald Trump’s remarks on Black History Month - Feb 1, 2017

Well the election, it came out really well. Next time we'll triple the number or quadruple it. We want to get it over 51, right. At least 51.*Well, this is Black History Month, so this is our little breakfast, our little get-together. And just a few notes. During this month, we honor the tremendous history of the African-Americans throughout our country. Throughout the world, if you really think about it, right. And their story is one of unimaginable sacrifice, hard work, and faith in America. I've gotten a real glimpse during the campaign; I'd go around with Ben to a lot of places that I wasn't so familiar with. They're incredible people. And I want to thank*Ben Carson, who's going to be*heading up HUD, and it's a big job, and it's a job that's not only housing, it's mind and spirit, right? And you understand that. Nobody's going to be better than Ben.*Last month we celebrated the life of*Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.whose incredible example is unique in American history. You read all about Dr. Martin Luther King a week ago when somebody said I took the statue out of my office. And it turned out that that was fake news. The statue is cherished. It's one of the favorite things — and we have some good ones. We have*Lincoln, and we have*Jefferson, and we have Dr. Martin Luther King. And we have other. But they said the statue,*the bust, of Dr. Martin Luther Kingwas taken out of the office. And it was never even touched. So I think it was a disgrace, but that's the way the press is. It's very unfortunate.*I am very proud now that we have a museum, National Mall, where people can learn about Reverend King, so many other things,*Frederick Doug — Douglass*is an example of somebody who's done an amazing job that is being recognized more and more, I notice.*Harriet Tubman,*Rosa Parks, and millions more black Americans who made Americans what it is today. Big impact. I'm proud to honor this heritage and will be honoring it more and more.*Folks at the table, in almost all cases, have been great friends and supporters. And*Darrell*[Scott], I met Darrell when he was defending me on television. And the people that were on the other side of the argument didn't have a chance, right. And*Paris*[Dennard] has done an amazing job in a very hostile*CNN*community; he's all by himself. Seven people and Paris. I'll take Paris over the seven. But I don't watch CNN, so I don't get to see you as much. I don't like watching fake news. But*Fox*has treated me very nice, wherever Fox is, thank you. We're going to need better schools, and we need 'em soon. We need more jobs, we need better wages, a lot better wages. We're going to work very hard on the inner city. Ben's going to be doing that, big league, that's one of his big things that we're going to be looking at. We need safer communities and we're going to do that with law enforcement. We're going to make it safe. We're going to make it much better than it is right now. Right now it's terrible.*I saw you talking about it the other night, Paris, on something else that was really — you did a fantastic job the other night on a very unrelated show. I'm ready to do my part, and I will say this, we're going to work together. This is a great group, this is a group that's been so special to me, you really helped me a lot. If you remember, I wasn't going to do well with the African-American community, and after they heard me speaking and talking about the inner city and lots of other things, we ended up getting, I won't go into details, but we ended up getting substantially more than other candidates who had run in the past years. And now we're going to take that to new levels. I want to thank my television star over here —*Omarosa's*actually a very nice person. Nobody knows that. I don't want to destroy her reputation. She is a very good person and she's been helpful right from the beginning with the campaign and I appreciate it, I really do. Very special. So I want to thank everybody for being here.
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Further evidence (as if any further evidence is needed!) that Little Donny Pee Pee is a weasel:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...nymore/520839/

Michael Moore reacted on MSNBC to the news of the GOP's health care failure:

Time To Fight For Medicare For All

"These people are out to make your lives a living hell."

"These private profit-making insurance companies are going to do everything in their power to do what Trump said is going to happen .... implode or explode Obamacare."

The host called it "death by sabotage".
                Only the rushing is heard...
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                  Michael Moore reacted on MSNBC to the news of the GOP's health care failure:

Time To Fight For Medicare For All

"These people are out to make your lives a living hell."

"These private profit-making insurance companies are going to do everything in their power to do what Trump said is going to happen .... implode or explode Obamacare."

The host called it "death by sabotage".
                  Paul, now that the first Trump attempt to repeal Obamacare has failed miserably, is it time for Democrats to push for improvements to Obamacare?
                  Michael Moore thinks so. There is such a bill in the works and is it supported by Bernie Sanders.
                  Image if they pushed hard and got the support of some Republican moderates!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wlmc40D43g

Comment

Obamacare is collapsing without any help from the Republicans. It was collapsing under Obama. As Bill Clinton said "it is the craziest thing out there." If everyone who is healthy pays the penalty the costs will spiral out of control as they already are. If you have a deductible of $15,000 you can't really say you have health care insurance.

Single payer health care is DOA.

I agree that the Freedom caucus people are a bit nuts and will cut off their nose to spite their face.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                      As Bill Clinton said "it is the craziest thing out there."
                      I believe with respect this shows the danger of too narrowly parsing comments into sound bite morsels. Just to play along, on the same day Bill Clinton made the quoted remark in Flint, he said the following in Pontiac: "I think his health care bill has been a remarkable success."

My understanding is that Bill Clinton was largely supportive of the Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare"), but that he recognized (as did Hillary Clinton and ultimately even Barack Obama) that some improvements to the Act were warranted.
                      Last edited by Thomas Bean; Tuesday, 28th March, 2017, 01:10 PM.

Comment

I see ALL the major President Trump Job Approval polls are now negative.
                        Averages are
                        Approval 41.4%
                        Disapproval 52.9%
                        Average -11.5%

These are historically low numbers as new Presidents usually enjoy a honeymoon period.
                        However, given Trump's performance and all his character flaws, I find his approval rating alarmingly high.
                        Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 30th March, 2017, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                          However, given Trump's performance and all his character flaws, I find his approval rating alarmingly high.
                          Ah yes, the dichotomy which is Trump.

Comment

America's simpleton President stumbles on.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/0...rd-crisis.html

Comment

America's simpleton President stumbles on.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/0...rd-crisis.html
                              I always enjoy Blow's and Peter's unbiased comments. Here are a few Obama comments that were never mentioned by them.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journal...ama-and-trump/

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                                I always enjoy Blow's and Peter's unbiased comments. Here are a few Obama comments that were never mentioned by them.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journal...ama-and-trump/
                                You're inferring that a negative view of Trump must mean a positive view of Obama. Incorrect.

Comment

Working...
                                X