Three rules-related questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three rules-related questions

I have three rules-related questions, and am seeking clarification. This is preparation for the 2017 Canadian University Team Chess Championship, set for London, at Western University, Jan. 14-15, where I will be Chief Arbiter.

1) Is is legal for organizers to create a Tournament Rules Sheet, for distribution to competitors, and which can be consulted during the game?

2) Can competitors consult hard-copy or online versions of FIDE's rules during a game, or must this be done through a TD and / or Arbiter?

3) Could this Rules Sheet contain items such as 50-move rule, 3-fold repetition claim procedures, penalties for incorrect claims, and so forth?

I have wondered about these for quite some time, and decided to seek debate on chesstalk. I haven't found any resource which has the answers to these questions.

Thanks in advance,
    Frank Dixon
    NTD, Kingston

Re: Three rules-related questions

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
    I have three rules-related questions, and am seeking clarification. This is preparation for the 2017 Canadian University Team Chess Championship, set for London, at Western University, Jan. 14-15, where I will be Chief Arbiter.

1) Is is legal for organizers to create a Tournament Rules Sheet, for distribution to competitors, and which can be consulted during the game?

2) Can competitors consult hard-copy or online versions of FIDE's rules during a game, or must this be done through a TD and / or Arbiter?

3) Could this Rules Sheet contain items such as 50-move rule, 3-fold repetition claim procedures, penalties for incorrect claims, and so forth?

I have wondered about these for quite some time, and decided to seek debate on chesstalk. I haven't found any resource which has the answers to these questions.

Thanks in advance,
    Frank Dixon
    NTD, Kingston

there is a statement by Geurt Gijssen somewhere, probably in one of his Chess Cafe columns, that in his view the player has the right to know what the rules are and to be able to ask/clarify what they are during a competition. [i.e. the arbiter must answer any such question on the rules and provide any documention]. So I imagine the answer to all of your questions is yes.

Comment

There's a famous example from one of the Karpov v Korchnoi matches where Korchnoi asked the arbiter if he could castle when his rook was attacked:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1067831

the arbiter (O'Kelly de Galway) answered him in the affirmative
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I would encourage a sheet of paper with "house rules" that would be placed on all tables before round 1. This would include whether defaulted players would be paired for the following round, how to reach the TD between rounds, how to claim a draw, cell phone penalties, how to report results, appeals, pairing format, tie-break format, etc. Since it's a team tournament, can a player consult with his captain whether to accept/offer a draw? A printed copy of whatever general rules (FIDE or CFC - whatever exceptions you make should be included in the "house rules") you are using should be available for consultation.

Comment

A tricky area.

Please read detailed clause about "no notes". imho, it makes illegal to have anything except a scoresheet for players.

Though a player can (has a right) consult an arbiter regarding interpretations of some points of Chess Rules. Somewhere in the Arbiters' Manual is written that an arbiter must known ALL rules as he should make decisions quickly, and not run and read Manual.

imho, you can provide all kind of information but it should be hidden during the game. Players should study chess rules in advance, especially for the National Championship. (yeah, Canadians had bad habits even for World championships too...)

Comment

Thanks to Roger, Tom, Hugh and Edidijus, who have all contributed important insights here. :)

The story from the Korchnoi vs Karpov game is one that I knew!

Another En Passant article connected with player inquiries about rules was written by IA/FM/GMC Jonathan Berry, for the game Todd Southam vs Helgi Olafsson, Canadian Open, Winnipeg 1986, October 1986 issue. Mr. Berry was serving as TD/Arbiter for the event. The incident described then-NM (later FM) Southam making an illegal move in his own time trouble, and GM Olafsson dealing with Mr. Berry in the subsequent rules examination. It's a fascinating story, resolved through the arbiter's skill to the mutual satisfaction of both players, and a fair result, if not strictly in accordance with the rules, which was NOT due to any fault of the arbiter, but to the players' insufficient understanding of the rules.

So, it seems that my questions may not have been specifically dealt with, which is most interesting! Further debate and inquiries may be necessary. :)

I relate the situation with players' access to chess rules during competition to my own experience in high-standard tournament golf. Every player is encouraged to carry a copy of the Rules of Golf during competitive play. I do this, and most serious competitors do as well. Golfers can refer to this small book whenever they wish, to ascertain procedure. If confusion still persists, then rules officials on duty can be summoned for consultation and clarification. At top levels, being a professional rules official is a career, much like being an internationally-qualified chess arbiter. Two minor aspects of the Rules of Golf, as used worldwide, derived from my own inquiries; I have another situation which is currently pending.

Comment

I have written a formal inquiry to the CFC, concerning this topic.

Perhaps we can break new ground here, to the benefit of all chess players, organizers, directors, and arbiters. :)

Comment

Working...
              X