12. Shen (3.5) - Chakkoli (2.0)
    13. Barron (2.5) - Zhang (2.5)
    BYE - MILLS (3.0)

Why not:

11. Fradkin (3.5) - Shen (3.5)
    12. Dougherty (3.5) - Zhang (2.5)
    13. Mills (3.0) - Chakkoli (2.0)
    BYE - Barron (2.5)

The latter pairings are clearly superior. The bye goes to the correct player, and no players are paired with people 1.5 points above/below them. I'm not sure about colours, as the crosstable doesn't record them, but it's an odd-numbered round, so most players are at 4-4 anyway, so there's some combination that should work.

Computers do correct pairings, there's no human fiddling allowed. But they sometimes are puzzling. It sucks to travel and get a bye.

I can't see the pairings for all the rounds but to balence the colours must use the colours the computer gives so it might look like this:
    Fradkin (3.5) - Dougherty (3.5)
    Shen (3.5)- Mills (3)
    Barron (2.5)- Zhang (2.5)
    Bye Chakkoli (2)
    BUT Chakkoli has had the bye, as had Zhang and Fradkin.
    If Shen - Mills
    Barron bye
    Zhang-Chakkali
    BUT they have already played each other.
    Shen has already played Dougherty,, Barron and Zhang so he can only be White against Mills or Chakkoli.
    So it could be:
    Fradkin (3.5) - Dougherty (3.5)
    Shen (3.5) - Chakkoli (2)
    Mills (3) - Zhang (2.5)
    Bye Barron (2.5)
    BUT if the computer says you are due Black then giving Barron his White against Zhang balences.

Comment

Re: 2017 CYCC & Canadian Open - ssmchess.ca

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
      Are you still an Arbiter?
      I am not at the Canadian Open, but I am still an Arbiter.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgon Mills View Post
        Hi:

The pairings for round 9 are incorrect. I should not have a forced bye, as I have more points than Michael Barron. Please correct or clarify.
        I have also messaged the SSM Chess Facebook group and emailed info@ssmchess.ca about this, but I do not have direct contact information for the arbiters. Thank you.

-Morgon
        Hi Morgan, we checked and double-checked these pairings. I can better explain to you in person with a wall chart in front of us. There was a convergence of factors.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgon Mills View Post
          Thank you or your response, Pierre. The current pairings are:

11. Fradkin (3.5) - Dougherty (3.5)
          12. Shen (3.5) - Chakkoli (2.0)
          13. Barron (2.5) - Zhang (2.5)
          BYE - MILLS (3.0)

Why not:

11. Fradkin (3.5) - Shen (3.5)
          12. Dougherty (3.5) - Zhang (2.5)
          13. Mills (3.0) - Chakkoli (2.0)
          BYE - Barron (2.5)

The latter pairings are clearly superior. The bye goes to the correct player, and no players are paired with people 1.5 points above/below them. I'm not sure about colours, as the crosstable doesn't record them, but it's an odd-numbered round, so most players are at 4-4 anyway, so there's some combination that should work.
          It is impossible to check the pairings with the information provided, but I am confident that they are right. With all the factors taken into account by FIDE when making the pairings, such strange results are more current then you think. A player only pay attention to them when he his the person receiving the pairing allocated bye. If the second pairing has been rejected, the arbiter on the site can explain it much better then anybody else. The second pairing would have been considered before the first one, but it must be illegal for some reasons that the arbiter who made the pairings can explain.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
            Hi Morgan, we checked and double-checked these pairings. I can better explain to you in person with a wall chart in front of us. There was a convergence of factors.
            I spoke to Aris at the playing site and got a clear explanation. FIDE's most recently adopted pairing system apparently prioritizes colour balances over bye assignment, so that's why I received the bye, contrary to the common logic. Anyway, I received a pairing with someone from another section, so all has been resolved. Thank you to the arbiters.

Comment

Edit: Not the most precise explanation so deleted.
              Last edited by Andrew Peredun; Sunday, 16th July, 2017, 11:58 AM.

Comment

The races for the generous class prices are close.

I think IM Cummings, by drawing, gets the $960 under 2400 prize while IM Garcia and FM Shi, also with a score of 5.5, would split the U2300 (and could still be tied by FM Plotkin).

In other sections Julian Zapata 1876 (4.5) and Youhe Huang 1448 (5.0) stand ahead.

Comment

I'm hoping the feed for Aman's game gets fixed very soon.

Comment

All good again. :)

Comment

• Re: 2017 CYCC & Canadian Open - ssmchess.ca

Final standings are posted.

www.ssmchess.ca/standings.html

Comment

• Re: 2017 CYCC & Canadian Open - ssmchess.ca

The under 1400 was won by Kate Jiang with a rating of only 875. What a great result. Is it old or only based on a couple of school events? How old is she? I assume that she is coached. Hope she is given a new rating over 1400.

Comment

• Re: CYCC Final Standings, Open II

Jiaying Wang (unrated) finished with 6/9 in the U1800 section - after tying for first with 5.5/7 in the U16/U18 girls section of the CYCC.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                            Jiaying Wang (unrated) finished with 6/9 in the U1800 section - after tying for first with 5.5/7 in the U16/U18 girls section of the CYCC.
                            Actually, it was even more impressive since this was the U2200 section.

Yes, two amazing junior female players tied for fourth place with 6/9 in the U2200 section of the 2017 Canadian Open:
                            • Jiaying Wang, the U18 Girls 2017 CYCC champion, and
                            • WFM Sasha Konovalenko, a long-time successful participant in the CYCCs who currently represents the USA internationally, having just tied for second in the U16 Girls category at the PanAmerican.

Congratulations to both ladies and their parents!

Comment

Actually it was even more impressive: she scored 6/9 in the U2200 section.

Edit: beaten!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Peredun View Post
                                Actually it was even more impressive: she scored 6/9 in the U2200 section.

Edit: beaten!
                                Wow, Andrew, isn't it serendipitous that we started our respective posts with exactly the same wording?! :p

Congratulations to you and the whole team on two very successful events that set new high standards for annual championships in Canada!

Comment

Working...
                                X