X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 CYCC & Canadian Open - ssmchess.ca

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    The lists are a bit awkward to browse through
    Agree. What is a problem to create it as a text and post on the website? What will be a pairing software used at the tournament? Really consider SwissManager - one click and data are online :)

Comment

Updated: sorted by section and rating (at the time of registration; will be updated with July 1st ratings).

Direct link: http://www.saulttourism.com/Userfile...201%202017.pdf

Comment

The file with the list of registrants is no longer there - it was there earlier today (Monday).

Comment

The list seems to have migrated here:
          http://www.saulttourism.com/Userfile...205%202017.pdf

Comment

There is a date imbedded in the URL - the first one was June 1; the next one was June 5.

Comment

It's about 2 more weeks to the biggest youth and adult event in Chess in Canada.

Canadian Youth Chess Championship ( CYCC ) and Canadian Open ( CO )

Dont miss out this event at this year Sault Ste Marie.

Cheers

Comment

Hi Andrew,

Can you provide some details on the free transportation from airport to Sault College?

Comment

Originally posted by James Tan View Post
                  Hi Andrew,

Can you provide some details on the free transportation from airport to Sault College?
                  We are picking up players who land at SSM airport and bringing them to residence (or their hotel), and returning them to the airport upon departure free of charge. It's a 20-25 minute trip each way.

Send an email (to the tournament website contact email) that lists your arrival and departure times & flight numbers and we will take care of the rest.

Comment

I am a bit surprised that the CO numbers are not as high yet. Maybe they'll grow in the last few weeks. Like I wish I was playing: it's FORTY THOUSAND guaranteed!

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                      I am a bit surprised that the CO numbers are not as high yet. Maybe they'll grow in the last few weeks. Like I wish I was playing: it's FORTY THOUSAND guaranteed!
                      I will be playing Canadian Open this year.
                      Just haven't got around to signing up yet.

Where can I find a player list?

Comment

Players lists posted (in new threads).

Also, a full schedule (including side events) is now available on our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ssmchess/

Comment

Additional on-site single and double rooms have become available and can be purchased through the event website beginning just after midnight tonight.

Comment

I'm too busy at work in summers to go. It is expensive going on a chess vacation, so I'm not sure how much marketing could increase numbers.

In the old days I remember getting in the mail tourism flyers along with a tournament flyer. These days, has a recent CFC newsletter given ample promotion to this year's great event? Have all CFC members and ex-members been emailed? You might be able to get some inactive players, retiring baby boomers out if they knew about it. Have ads been placed in Chess Life & Review, Michigan?, and online sites like chess.com? Northern Ontario used to have an active youth scene, anybody promoting the event in Thunder Bay, Sudbury, etc.?

Comment

Hey Erik, from what I can tell (I'm one of the arbiters asked to work these events), their preparation work has been off-the-charts thorough, and for at least two years now. Roman and Andrew, and I suppose a whole gang of support people behind them, seem to have built something very special. To be honest, when the CO conditions were announced, I smirkfully (new Aris-word lol) thought that if I hadn't already committed to being an arbiter, I would love to play! The not-huge-city touch reminds me of Sackville years ago (favorite CO!), and it's also a FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS GUARANTEED PRIZE FUND! The EV (expected value) for players is the best ever in Canada?!

Comment

Hi Aris,
                                Certainly a plus for the Open is having International level Arbiters like you and Hal. I was just wondering if the large prize fund attracted anyone. An ad in Chess Life did bring a couple of players to the CO when it was in Toronto.

There are interesting things to do and see in the Soo, as mentioned on the Open's website. But they didn't include the Brewery Museum!

My question for you is where are you going to eat? Most of the places are along the Great North Road. A friend says that there's great pizza at Fratelli's. Burger Don sounds good. Golden Dragon for Chinese. Aurora's Hillside is in a different direction. Enjoy.
                                Last edited by Erik Malmsten; Saturday, 1st July, 2017, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X