Trophies for lower rated section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trophies for lower rated section

To finalize the threads about Niagara Falls. Because I thought this post was about Lee asking for Class Cash Prizes.

I will state now that we will always support players who pay to play and get their entries taken away to support the elite in other tournaments. We will not support players who want free entries or expect discounts because they are over 2300. The Niagara Falls Open is for amateurs and we support amateurs. We do not segregate higher rated players from playing but we expect them to pay to play and we charge a premium for them to win our prizes.
    We are different because we want to be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Gooding View Post
      How about this for a solution? Heck, i am a tournament orgainzer and I would be willing to try it: We have chess tournaments with a very narrow range of eligible ratings. For example, we have a tournament for players who have a rating between 1300 and 1500 only. Do you think that would work? There would have to be some anti sandbagging program in effect but maybe it could work. If I could get at least 60 players, I would give it a try, anyone interested?
      I don't understand what this has to do with my post.
      Last edited by Alfred Dagan; Friday, 13th January, 2017, 02:31 AM. Reason: Didn't quote reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Gooding View Post
        Hi Lee,

You do remember that at most of my tournaments that the under 2000 section winners did get trophies and cash?
        Yes I know that you give prizes to U2000 section however, I would like to see cash in all sections or a chance to win entry fee to a future tournaments of said organizer, a chance to cover cost

I find it unfair that certain groups are told they have to win trophies with no option to play up and have chance at some kind of cash related prize

ex U1600 and U1200

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
          To finalize the threads about Niagara Falls. Because I thought this post was about Lee asking for Class Cash Prizes.

I will state now that we will always support players who pay to play and get their entries taken away to support the elite in other tournaments. We will not support players who want free entries or expect discounts because they are over 2300. The Niagara Falls Open is for amateurs and we support amateurs. We do not segregate higher rated players from playing but we expect them to pay to play and we charge a premium for them to win our prizes.
          We are different because we want to be different.
          Hi John

I think it is unfair to discriminate against the elite or novice players in single section tournaments equal registration fee equal chance to win
          or give top player free entry but subtract from their winnings

Where sections are involved and players restricted to their section give them a chance recover their cost or by cash or entry fee to future tournaments

Comment

I disagree Lee . I've been playing in tournaments since 1973 and whether it be an open or a class . I have never once recouped my expenses by winning a prize.

You yourself have played in our tournaments and you have won the First Upset Prize which was a free CFC Membership for one year. Had you played in a class section do you think you'd have won that prize? We did not see you complain about getting that upset prize and not winning a class prize.

We do not discriminate against players, all have a chance to play and win First Prize. They win a prize by doing well in the tournament.

Are you saying that forcing players to pay a move up fee is not discrimination?

This thread was about you complaining about not getting cash for class prizes instead of trophies.. Why not stick to that subject and stop picking apart individual tournaments.
            I'm sure there are reasons why players do not come to your Brantford Tournaments as well.

I think it is time you run that ideal tournament that is run the way you want so it will please mainly yourself. No one can run an ideal tournament so stop complaining and get your rating up so you can compete for cash prizes at Guelph.

Comment

Hi John

You, Hal, Gord and others organize amazing tournaments, however if you disagree with something you should speak up or nothing will change, Yes I agree move up is but don't remember saying it wasn't, however, I would prefer players speak out so we would know why some players might not come to Brantford tournaments so we have an option to change.

Opinions change with experiences just because I didn't complain in past doesn't mean I shouldn't now if I have changed my mind or feel more strongly about something

I disagree with Gord not giving the option to bottom sections even thou i could play for cash in the U2000 at least now he has an option to consider weather he changes or not.

John please note these are not personal attacks against organizers just the formats of how tournaments are organized that I or others might have

Comment

Hi Lee
                Then I'd suggest that you run your own tournaments as your complaints are not new and have been around for decades.

You can't please all the people all of the time but you can please some of the people some of the time.
                You can decide who that some will be by organizing a tournament the way you want. That is what Niagara Falls did. We decided to please the people that we wanted to attend.

Look at the structure of any tournament. Organizers set up tournaments in a certain way to attract players they want to see at their tournaments.
                If an organizer wanted only U2000 players to come or have them the bulk of the participants then that section would get the biggest deals.
                If the organizer wants to attract the Elite they give them free entries and biggest prize fund.

What if an organizer decided to give IM's free entries but decided to give them only a percentage based on their numbers as a prize. But give the bulk of the money to the U1600?
                Do you think that tournament would get ideal status?

I think if you want change, then you have to change it by yourself. Organizers want to run the tournament that fits best for them whether it is to break even or make a profit.
                The chess players can show their unhappiness by either not showing up or writing a letter to the organizer.
                But picking all tournaments apart because you are unhappy is not a good idea. People will always take it personally as it is an attack on their ideas whether good or bad.

Comment

Hi John

Yes I agree that you can't keep every body happy all the time

However this is a chess forum and have the right to disagree if think a tournament policy is incorrect or the ability to praise if I agree and let others know and then it can be discussed and others can form an opinion, which can't be done by a letter to the organizer or worse by not showing up
                  Last edited by Lee Hendon; Saturday, 14th January, 2017, 07:40 PM.

Comment

There are two problems I see with giving only trophies to lower sections:
                    First and foremost, it does not encourage the lower-rated players to join such a tournament. Too often the lower sections are considered an afterthought when they are actually the building stones for our future elite players.
                    Second ... for me anyway ... I passed up two tournaments (Guelph and PEI) because it wasn't worth the travel and hotel costs if there isn't a 'chance' to recoup any of my costs.
                    Some of you in the higher sections need to check (pun intended) your egos at the door. Chess is a truly International sport which prides itself on showcasing good etiquette and sportsmanship for all people to enjoy no matter their skill level.

Comment

Hi Billy;
                      I have won enough trophies at Guelph My rating to move up is too low so I have taken Guelph off my list of tournaments.
                      I don't mind a trophy but maybe free or reduced entry for the next Guelph tournament to the trophy winners might be an option.

Comment

Working...
                      X