Cancellation of the 2017 gatineau open and toro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancellation of the 2017 gatineau open and toro

At their last 2016 meeting on Monday December 19th , the Outaouais Chess League Board (LÉO), for financial and administrative circumstances, took the decision to cancel the Gatineau Open of March (TOG) and The Outaouais Regional Open (TORO) of June 2017.
    Marcel Laurin,
    Officer of the Outaouais Chess League

Re: Cancellation of the 2017 gatineau open and toro

That's very unfortunate. Those were two of the best, and best run, events on the chess calendar for this region. Many thanks to Marcel for his prodigious organizing efforts over the past many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
      That's very unfortunate. Those were two of the best, and best run, events on the chess calendar for this region. Many thanks to Marcel for his prodigious organizing efforts over the past many years.

Agree with Gordon: very well-run events, terrific location, excellent prize-fund (though I've never been in contention), free parking underground, the Museum of Civilization across the street for families, and a skittles room with wi-fi and (last time) chess videos running all day!

I hope this is just a one-season cancellation, and not a permanent thing.

Any reason you'd be able to share for this unfortunate loss?

Comment

Unfortunate loss of 2 well run and attended tourneys.

RA March Open will replace the Gatineau Tournament for the Eastern Ontario Chess Association(EOCA) Grand Prix.

March 3 - 5 at the RA centre.

www.eoca.ca

Comment

Yeah, too bad about this. Toro 2013 was my first ever tournament and I always looked forward to playing these two high quality events.

I think it might have something to do with the Canada 150 celebrations this year, but I'm not entirely sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Kearnan View Post
            it might have something to do with the Canada 150 celebrations this year, but I'm not entirely sure.
            I talked to Marcel about the cancellations, and you are right to suspect the Canada 150 celebrations: although Marcel booked the venues immediately after last year's events, the venue managers have recalculated the estimated worth of their venues during the prime Spring and Summer months during the Canada 150 celebrations, and they dramatically raised their prices.

I expect to see both events return in 2018.

Comment

Working...
            X