Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: 2017 Aurora Spring Open

Originally posted by Denis Gauthier View Post
    There's no open section. Egidijus seems to be narrow-minded.

Open - This label should only be used when the section is open to all with no restrictions whatsoever.
    Pro - This suggests that the players are professionals when in reality most, if not all, are amateurs.
    Crown (I have seen this elsewhere) - This suggests royalty, of which we have none that I know of.
    Closed - To me, closed suggests 'by invitation only' or earned through qualification in a previous tournament(s). This doesn't seem correct to me.
    Elite - From Wiktionary "someone who is among the best". I'm not sure that grandmasters would consider players who have a rating around 2000 to be elite. It doesn't seem to fit to me.
    Premier - From Wiktionary "first or highest in quality or degree". Similar argument as for elite. In addition, premier is not truly an English word, it's what linguists call a 'borrowed word' (from Middle French).
    Advanced (to go along with intermediate, novice, etc.) - This is vague labeling. There is no indication of what rating range each section covers. This is less helpful than our admittedly incorrect 'Open, U2000, and U1600' labels.
    Denis
    I'd suggest you run a tournament and then we can pick it apart line by line.
    Last edited by John Brown; Saturday, 25th March, 2017, 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Open - This label should only be used when the section is open to all with no restrictions whatsoever.
      Pro - This suggests that the players are professionals when in reality most, if not all, are amateurs.
      Crown (I have seen this elsewhere) - This suggests royalty, of which we have none that I know of.
      Closed - To me, closed suggests 'by invitation only' or earned through qualification in a previous tournament(s). This doesn't seem correct to me.
      Elite - From Wiktionary "someone who is among the best". I'm not sure that grandmasters would consider players who have a rating around 2000 to be elite. It doesn't seem to fit to me.
      Premier - From Wiktionary "first or highest in quality or degree". Similar argument as for elite. In addition, premier is not truly an English word, it's what linguists call a 'borrowed word' (from Middle French).
      Advanced (to go along with intermediate, novice, etc.) - This is vague labeling. There is no indication of what rating range each section covers. This is less helpful than our admittedly incorrect 'Open, U2000, and U1600' labels.
      Nice April fools post. You're a few days early tho.

Comment

Well that is the quote of the week! Your obsession with the minutae of definitions is ludricrous when the sports world has re-defined the word "Open"....think tennis, U.S. and Wimbledon "Opens", think golf, U.S. and British "Opens", and that's only scratching the surface! Time to move on young man.....
        Fred Harvey

Comment

Re: 2017 Aurora Spring Open

Fred wrote:

tennis, U.S. and Wimbledon "Opens", think golf, U.S. and British "Opens"
          The US golf and Tennis "Opens" are truly open - any one can try to qualify. The Open chess events that Denis is referring to have restrictions. Are there any other sports that have restrictive events referred to as "Opens"?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            Are there any other sports that have restrictive events referred to as "Opens"?
            United States "Women's Open" Golf Championship, Canada, and how many other countries? And how many other sports?

Comment

"Women's Open" means restricted to women - but any woman is eligible to try to enter - just like "Junior Open" is open to any junior (and only juniors). "Open" (without any other modifier) means anyone of either sex and any age is eligible. You could call a masters and up Open chess event "xxxx 2200+ Open" which would show the restriction, but that it is open to any master (but not allowing under 2200's).

Comment

The tournament is THIS weekend. Please register in advance (Thursday, March 30) to avoid late fees (20$) and be paired for round 1.

73 players.

There is enough players for the U2000 section be FIDE rated too.

Details, registration and payment forms at http://www.aucc.club/aurora-weekend-...ra-spring-open

Comment

There's still no open section. Call it Premier Section.

Comment

85 players and counting - http://www.aucc.club/aurora-weekend-...a-spring-open/

Tomorrow is a pre-registration deadline to avoid late fees and get round one game.

Comment

The list increased by 5 more players to 90.
                      http://www.aucc.club/aurora-weekend-...ra-spring-open

Comment

The list was updated with new ratings and new players - 95 at this moment. http://www.aucc.club/aurora-weekend-...ra-spring-open

The Legion will offer again meals on both days.

Comment

We got 100 players willing to come tomorrow and enjoy two days of chess. The list is now going through corrections and ready for Swiss-Manager. We should have results at chess-results.com (when links will be available I'll post them)

Legions menu:

Saturday lunch - soup & sandwich between 12-2 pm
                          Saturday dinner - spaghetti & meatballs between 4-6
                          Sunday lunch - chicken fingers between 12-2

Comment

The tournament started with ~100 players. The sections were uploaded to chess-results. Though, results and other round pairings will be posted late night.

Comment

We have an opportunity to post results online.

Look for them at http://chess-results.com/fed.aspx?lan=1&fed=CAN

Comment

Round 4 pairing links at http://www.aucc.club

Comment

Working...
                                X