Quebec City mmsque shooter a chessplayer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quebec City Mosque shooter a chessplayer?

Originally posted by Daniel Kearnan View Post
    My suspicion is that reporters and news-peddlers, in their usual 'gather all info and dispense without context' approach are basically fumbling at some kind of cursory explanation where there isn't one, or at least where such an explanation would have to be far more complex.
    The media just did “copy and paste” from a FB page without thinking too much about the word“chess”.
    I have to tell you from my own experience that in Canada people are ignorant when it comes to chess. I met so many people who, after telling them that Razvan is a grandmaster at 17, asked me very seriously “So ... can he beats you at chess?” Even after my answer “Yes, but only if he’s playing blindfolded” they still don’ get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
      The media just did “copy and paste” from a FB page without thinking too much about the word“chess”.
      I have to tell you from my own experience that in Canada people are ignorant when it comes to chess. I met so many people who, after telling them that Razvan is a grandmaster at 17, asked me very seriously “So ... can he beats you at chess?” Even after my answer “Yes, but only if he’s playing blindfolded” they still don’ get it.
      Well, to be fair, a lot of people can beat you blindfolded. ;)

Comment

That will all change when I become president of the CFC.

For far to long president after president has failed to understand the vast and great importance of Chess within Canada's rich heritage.

This failure has led to an introverted Chess Federation of Canada.
        Last edited by Neil Frarey; Friday, 3rd February, 2017, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
          That will all change ***** if ***** I become president of the CFC. ...
          Why so mealy-mouthed? Be bold, be Trumpian. Change that "if" to a "when" and make it happen. :-P
          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
            Why so mealy-mouthed? Be bold, be Trumpian. Change that "if" to a "when" and make it happen. :-P
            When you say "be Trumpian", I assume you're referring to the current POTUS, Little Donny Pee Pee. I think Neil should follow LDPP's lead (on a smaller scale, of course), by attending a local prayer breakfast and offering a prayer for Arnold Schwarzenegger.
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
              When you say "be Trumpian", I assume you're referring to the current POTUS, Little Donny Pee Pee. I think Neil should follow LDPP's lead (on a smaller scale, of course), by attending a local prayer breakfast and offering a prayer for Arnold Schwarzenegger.
              Peter, surely you meant offer a prayer for Vlad Drkulec (he would be the most logical counterpart to the Arnold in this scenario)...
              Neil campaigned before (as I recall) for Pres of the CFC back when he was the Donald of the old Ottawa Message board and ruled that domain. Ah, the good old daze.
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

:) Kerry, you're probably right but the non sequitur aspect of praying for Arnold appeals to my sense of humour. :)
                Last edited by Peter McKillop; Thursday, 2nd February, 2017, 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

LDPP! Peter, if MSM threatens to use this routinely unless POTUS stops name-calling, it could restore some decorum to dialogue in the US...and you should then be awarded bigly for it!!

Comment

Brad, I don't think I've ever seen you use a contraction in your writing. Is this a phobia of some type? A religious belief, perhaps (are you a United Church minister?)?

Comment

Originally posted by Dilip Panjwani View Post
                      LDPP! Peter, if MSM threatens to use this routinely unless POTUS stops name-calling, it could restore some decorum to dialogue in the US...and you should then be awarded bigly for it!!

I have another possibility for the "PP" in "LDPP".

Little Donny Pussy Paws.
                      Only the rushing is heard...
                      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                        Done & will be done.

Comment

Working...
                        X