Knightfall Chess Association??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Knightfall Chess Association??

Bunch of nerds hunting down another bunch of nerds!

What could possibly go wrong? :p

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
      Suspicious? Maybe the guys just want to play some chess?
      Look at this: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-events/city-o...pen/1233132035

With that price fund people should be not the first time organizers, and more or less known at the Toronto chess scene, and they would announce it here not at kijiji LOL

Comment

From the tournament FAQ "The tournament director in charge of the Bobby Fischer Memorial Open is Abdi Hassan".

Not that that helps much... who is Abdi Hassan? Is the same guy who is president of the Somali Chess Federation?

Comment

So I actually went up to Suite 5700 and there is no signage on the door. It just says Suite 5700 and it appears the suite is occupied by several groups of people (there is no distinct tenant it appears). There were people sitting in cubicles and other people who looked like they were waiting for a job interview. I asked the receptionist if there was a Knightfall Chess Association at the location. She said yes but there was no one around for me to speak to. She asked me for my contact information and I gave her my name and phone number. That was it. So we will see what happens.....

The other curious point is the location of this tournament: St. George Campus (UofT). That campus has several different buildings....so its not the most exact location....unless I am missing something...

Comment

So it's an elaborated version of the Nigera 419 scam? I'd give them credit for originality.

Comment

Perhaps this is just someone organizing a tournament for the first time (hence the opaque information) but I've never come across this before where a tournament venue is chosen thats as vague as this (St. George Campus...ok but where exactly on the 'campus'?) and where the contact details appear inconveniently offered....you would think with less than a month before this tournament stuff like this would get ironed out...

Anyways...good luck to the organizer and those who end up going ....at least there's free pizza.

Comment

Originally posted by Rahul Gangolli View Post
                Perhaps this is just someone organizing a tournament for the first time (hence the opaque information) but I've never come across this before where a tournament venue is chosen thats as vague as this (St. George Campus...ok but where exactly on the 'campus'?) and where the contact details appear inconveniently offered....you would think with less than a month before this tournament stuff like this would get ironed out...

Anyways...good luck to the organizer and those who end up going ....at least there's free pizza.
                Or, perhaps it is a scam??? Or a joke on the readers and the CFC???

Ask yourself, "Would you be sending cash to this event at this point?"

Comment

Originally posted by Rahul Gangolli View Post
                  So I actually went up to Suite 5700 and there is no signage on the door. It just says Suite 5700 and it appears the suite is occupied by several groups of people (there is no distinct tenant it appears). There were people sitting in cubicles and other people who looked like they were waiting for a job interview. I asked the receptionist if there was a Knightfall Chess Association at the location. She said yes but there was no one around for me to speak to. She asked me for my contact information and I gave her my name and phone number. That was it. So we will see what happens.....

The other curious point is the location of this tournament: St. George Campus (UofT). That campus has several different buildings....so its not the most exact location....unless I am missing something...
                  Thanks for taking the initiative and doing this.
                  "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I see on their ad that the discounted entry fee is for entries before February 8th - today. I wonder how many entries they have.

Comment

I have deleted their listing until we have greater transparency.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                        I have deleted their listing until we have greater transparency.
                        I received a call from Knightfall Chess Association this afternoon. All is good.
                        We will be reposting their tournament shortly. :)

Comment

I received a call from Knightfall Chess Association this afternoon. All is good.
                          We will be reposting their tournament shortly. :)
                          I'm suspicious.

Their site says, "This event will be held at the University of Toronto St. George campus (The Great hall). "

At the UofT The Great Hall means the one at Hart House (where Alex F. runs his events).

I just phoned Hart House, and they have no booking for the hall on March 5.

In addition, their site says "Our organizers and directors listed above are CFC members", but none of the four people listed are current CFC members, and two of them do not seem to ever have been CFC members.

If I was in Toronto and considering playing, I might show up -- but where? -- and would definitely NOT send $ to enter this event.

Comment

Their FAQ also states:

"Question: What happens if there is a venue change?

A change in the venue of an event is unlikely, but if such event does occur, the tournament will take place at 918 bathurst (8 mins away from U of T). We aim to not have this happen, but for any situations out of our control, we will contact all players about such change ahead of time. "

That's the Annex CC, isn't it? Are they aware of anything?

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                              I'm suspicious.

Their site says, "This event will be held at the University of Toronto St. George campus (The Great hall). "

At the UofT The Great Hall means the one at Hart House (where Alex F. runs his events).

I just phoned Hart House, and they have no booking for the hall on March 5.

In addition, their site says "Our organizers and directors listed above are CFC members", but none of the four people listed are current CFC members, and two of them do not seem to ever have been CFC members.

If I was in Toronto and considering playing, I might show up -- but where? -- and would definitely NOT send $ to enter this event.
                              Thanks John. Now I am totally pissed.
                              They phoned me, they told me they would add names on their website and posters, that most of them were or former CFC members, yadda yadda yadda, now I am not so sure. Would somebody please vouch for these guys. If not, their posting is going to be pulled again.

Their names are:

Abdi Hassan
                              Ronnie Ho
                              Daniel Akif
                              Shahbaz Balouchi

An interesting note:
                              They mention that in case of a venue change, it would be at 918 Bathurst St.
                              Is that not the site for Annex Chess Club?
                              Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Saturday, 25th February, 2017, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks John. Now I am totally pissed.
                                They phoned me, they told me they would add names on their website and posters, that most of them were or former CFC members, yadda yadda yadda, now I am not so sure. Would somebody please vouch for these guys. If not, their posting is going to be pulled again.

Their names are:

Abdi Hassan
                                Ronnie Ho
                                Daniel Akif
                                Shahbaz Balouchi

An interesting note:
                                They mention that in case of a venue change, it would be at 918 Bathurst St.
                                Is that not the site for Annex Chess Club?
                                My goodness, you are patient! As I said above...

Or, perhaps it is a scam??? Or a joke on the readers and the CFC???

Ask yourself, "Would you be sending cash to this event at this point?"

Pull it and see what happens. Ask for a good faith deposit before listing again. You won't hear from them.

Comment

Working...
                                X