Knightfall Chess Association??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Knightfall Chess Association??

The Annex Chess Club has no knowledge of Knightfall Chess. 918 Bathurst is indeed the venue for the Annex Chess Club on Mondays at 7 p.m. 918 Bathurst will not be hosting any Knightfall tournaments.

http://annexchessclub.com/
    http://918bathurst.com/

I notice on the Knightfall site that round 4 of their tournament starts at 1:15 a.m. Seems a bit early in the morning. Their website is now claiming that the games of players who have CFC ratings will be CFC rated. It might be hard for them to do any of this with no hall to play in.
    Last edited by Glenn Giffen; Sunday, 26th February, 2017, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Just as an aside: I went up again to their 'offices' on the 57th floor on Thursday on behalf of a friend who wishes to register her son...and again no one was in the office and no one has yet to return my call. When I told the receptionist that I was looking for information on the tournament, she told me to register on the website. How one gets their money back if the tournament is cancelled is anybody's guess.

At this point, I would perhaps just defer on playing/paying for this.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
        My goodness, you are patient! As I said above...

Or, perhaps it is a scam??? Or a joke on the readers and the CFC???

Ask yourself, "Would you be sending cash to this event at this point?"

Pull it and see what happens. Ask for a good faith deposit before listing again. You won't hear from them.
        Ken, I took your advice and did pull the ad again about an hour after your post.
        I did finally hear from organizer Abdi Hassan in an email late last night. It was on my personal email, and I just noticed it this morning.
        I have asked him for further tournament details: exact site location, pre-registered list, and can I post his email on chesstalk?.
        Will advise all when I get a response.

But for now, I would advise members NOT to send them any money.
        Hopefully they can get their act together.

Comment

I have received another email from the organizer this evening. The tournament is being rescheduled to March 12. The organizer is hoping to secure a new site tomorrow and has promised an update by this time tomorrow. He has given me permission to post his previous email on chesstalk, so here it is below. I am happy to report his email today was much more coherent.

So here it is:

Hi,
          I believe we've spoke before on the phone a while back, i just wanted to give you a quick email regarding updates on my tournament. In the spirit of full transparency, i want to justify to you why my results have been in dissonance with my actions. I want you to understand that i have been a long time CFC member, and i've been running tournaments in St.catharines. This will be my first time running tournaments in Toronto, as it is probably apparent with the chess community. Now, the question people are wondering is probably why my overheads and traffic has been so much, but i have not been producing results. The reason is for this is, i have sacrificed everything to do this and i am a risk taker. Usually when big companies are starting out, they have this kind of controversy because they are led by one risk taker who is stubborn and unwilling to hire anybody. I realize that there is way too much demand in Toronto, and i have to start saying no to some people. I have been reflecting about this for two days now and within these two days, i have not slept, even now i still have not slept. I have made myself go through a profound mental change so i can fully be into this. I just want you to know that all i want is for this to succeed, and all i want is the chess community to trust that i am doing my best. I will not heavily edit this, cause it's coming straight from the heart. I have money to back me up, and that's why my association has been gaining so much traction, even though i have just started up. I am saying all this because i really need all the help i can get, and i realize that one person cannot do this all alone, even though there are people in my staff, i am mainly doing the majority of the work. I know you have the power to influence the chess community and i want you to let them know that i have changed in terms of my ability to seek help. I am generally an intense guy, and a bit of a control freak. I can no longer leave this to chance and speculation, i have spent the majority of my money creating a model that is based on what other corporations have done and now realize that chess is not a corporation, chess is a community. Starting tommorow i will be setting up meetings with everybody to make sure everyone is happy. And if they want their money back that is definitely an option, in fact since i have money to back me up, i will even offer a free next tournement to anyone who feels they have went through profound difficulties with this business model. If you have stuck through this paragraph and you can see even a glismp of the struggles and the mistakes i have went through. You will know i am the rightr person to go into business with. So if you have anytime to speak i am available to meet you at my office or your office anytime. Please also note that a lot of what inspired this change in my approach is from what i observed on your website and what i have learned. I don't want to wait any longer to say this message, cause i want to come from a place of true sincerity. And if you still feel like the mistakes i have made were to large, please still feel like you can trust me enough to go into business with me, i want you to know that this controversy is a result of my leadership and risk taking ability. I have trapped myself in a corner for these two days i've benn up for, and when times get tough all my mind and body knows is to make it the absolute best of the situation. With that said i have come up with a bright bright idea to completely revolutionize the chess industry, and this is another risk i will take. But, i will use what i learn now to ensure the risks are mitigated as much as possible. The basic premise of this model is using data collection software to create great chess games with the community that . Sorry i have to cut th e email short, this computer is extremelyslow, but i would appreciate setting up a meeting.

Comment

..anyone else here think they are capable of writing this much...coherent text? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
              ..anyone else here think they are capable of writing this much...coherent text? :)
              You are perhaps misunderstanding my comments. To be clear, his email today is more coherent than the one that is posted above.

Comment

Bob - what is the name of the organizer - i.e. the author of the email?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                  You are perhaps misunderstanding my comments. To be clear, his email today is more coherent than the one that is posted above.
                  This is a very obvious scam..but its like someone is really trying to make us, chess players, look very stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                    Bob - what is the name of the organizer - i.e. the author of the email?
                    Abdishakur Omarhassan CFC# 153679

Comment

This is a very obvious scam..but its like someone is really trying to make us, chess players, look very stupid.
                      I posted his email to give everyone the opportunity to judge for themselves.
                      My recommendation remains the same: I would advise members NOT to send them any money.
                      Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Tuesday, 28th February, 2017, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Wow, this guy is really giving Paul Bonham a run for his money.

Comment

This is a very obvious scam...
                          Yup.
                          It also shows that there are not enough chess events in Toronto, if people try to jump on every opportunity like this.

Comment

I'll cut this guy some slack.

Hope he does well, makes a solid contribution to organized chess in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                              I have received another email from the organizer this evening. The tournament is being rescheduled to March 12. The organizer is hoping to secure a new site tomorrow and has promised an update by this time tomorrow. He has given me permission to post his previous email on chesstalk, so here it is below. I am happy to report his email today was much more coherent.

So here it is:

Hi,
                              I believe we've spoke before on the phone a while back, i just wanted to give you a quick email regarding updates on my tournament. In the spirit of full transparency, i want to justify to you why my results have been in dissonance with my actions. I want you to understand that i have been a long time CFC member, and i've been running tournaments in St.catharines. This will be my first time running tournaments in Toronto, as it is probably apparent with the chess community. Now, the question people are wondering is probably why my overheads and traffic has been so much, but i have not been producing results. The reason is for this is, i have sacrificed everything to do this and i am a risk taker. Usually when big companies are starting out, they have this kind of controversy because they are led by one risk taker who is stubborn and unwilling to hire anybody. I realize that there is way too much demand in Toronto, and i have to start saying no to some people. I have been reflecting about this for two days now and within these two days, i have not slept, even now i still have not slept. I have made myself go through a profound mental change so i can fully be into this. I just want you to know that all i want is for this to succeed, and all i want is the chess community to trust that i am doing my best. I will not heavily edit this, cause it's coming straight from the heart. I have money to back me up, and that's why my association has been gaining so much traction, even though i have just started up. I am saying all this because i really need all the help i can get, and i realize that one person cannot do this all alone, even though there are people in my staff, i am mainly doing the majority of the work. I know you have the power to influence the chess community and i want you to let them know that i have changed in terms of my ability to seek help. I am generally an intense guy, and a bit of a control freak. I can no longer leave this to chance and speculation, i have spent the majority of my money creating a model that is based on what other corporations have done and now realize that chess is not a corporation, chess is a community. Starting tommorow i will be setting up meetings with everybody to make sure everyone is happy. And if they want their money back that is definitely an option, in fact since i have money to back me up, i will even offer a free next tournement to anyone who feels they have went through profound difficulties with this business model. If you have stuck through this paragraph and you can see even a glismp of the struggles and the mistakes i have went through. You will know i am the rightr person to go into business with. So if you have anytime to speak i am available to meet you at my office or your office anytime. Please also note that a lot of what inspired this change in my approach is from what i observed on your website and what i have learned. I don't want to wait any longer to say this message, cause i want to come from a place of true sincerity. And if you still feel like the mistakes i have made were to large, please still feel like you can trust me enough to go into business with me, i want you to know that this controversy is a result of my leadership and risk taking ability. I have trapped myself in a corner for these two days i've benn up for, and when times get tough all my mind and body knows is to make it the absolute best of the situation. With that said i have come up with a bright bright idea to completely revolutionize the chess industry, and this is another risk i will take. But, i will use what i learn now to ensure the risks are mitigated as much as possible. The basic premise of this model is using data collection software to create great chess games with the community that . Sorry i have to cut th e email short, this computer is extremelyslow, but i would appreciate setting up a meeting.
                              Sounds like one of the Nigerian "send me money" scripts. I recall a saying we used to use in High School, "BS baffles brains!" Yes, a LOOONNNNNNGGGGG time ago!

Send an e-mail to the address on the CFC file for the name you have been given and see if it is really him!!

Comment

Abdishakur Omarhassan CFC# 153679 played in several scholastic CFC-rated events from 2013 to 2015 without being a CFC member.

http://www.chess.ca/players?check_rating_number=153679

Comment

Working...
                                X