Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Knightfall Chess Association??

Chess in Canada is not a CFC priority.

What is a CFC priority? Kiss the ass of elite chess ecosystems.
    Last edited by Neil Frarey; Monday, 13th March, 2017, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Olivier Tessier View Post
      I heard it went great.
      Really. You heard from who?
      Details please. I have heard absolutely nothing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzsWxPLIOo
      Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Monday, 13th March, 2017, 08:10 AM.

Comment

I am a bit surprised that neither the organisers nor any of the 150+ people on the pre-reg list have posted anything, either here on the Knightfall website.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
          I am a bit surprised that neither the organisers nor any of the 150+ people on the pre-reg list have posted anything, either here on the Knightfall website.
          It was a great event! It was very well organized, the rounds started on time and it was a spacious venue. It's good to see new and keen organizers on the Canadian chess scene! Bobby Fischer dropped by to sign a few autographs and talk about his upcoming 25th anniversary re-rematch with Boris Spassky too.

Comment

The Knightfall Chess Association website now indicates that results and photos from the event will be posted by 5 - I assume 5:00 pm eastern.

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
            ... Bobby Fischer dropped by to sign a few autographs and talk about his upcoming 25th anniversary re-rematch with Boris Spassky too.
            I fully understand not advertising the number of rounds, time controls or the parameters of the three different sections and being initially coy about location of venue - brings a playful sense of suspense and mystery that is otherwise sadly lacking from other chess tournaments I have seen advertised. But it seems counterproductive not to have advertised this exciting surprise feature....

Comment

I attempted contact with the Jimmie Simpson Community Centre this morning. I got a recorded message which directed me to another Community Centre if I wanted to speak to someone in person. I also contacted one of the players on the pre-reg list who had inquired about the event but not registered. Sorry - that's all I could do in the free time I had today.

Comment

https://www.gofundme.com/universal-free-chess

There is apparently a go fund me page related to this organization with quite an elaborate bio on the organizer. I had a friend whose son was registered to play in this event (Bobby Fischer Memorial) but I haven't heard from her either on how the tournament worked out.

Comment

'Nima is very connected with the chess community not only in Canada but internationally. He has connections with Garry Kasporav through his mentor. He will be doing interviews with this teacher so we can continue to provide our free membership base with content.'

I found this off Knightfall's website on a link for 'DONATE'. I concede I have only been in the Canadian chess community since 2013 (and that too just in Toronto) but I have never heard of Nima before. When you go to chess. ca, Nima Shirali's CFC record shows a very recent Membership with absolutely no record of any tournament play (though I am aware that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't 'connected').

Comment

I took the direct route and emailed Abdi Hassan (the organiser); he replied promptly, saying a report on the event would be posted later today. Didn't say posted where, but I'll look on the Knightfall website later.

Comment

From their web page (there are also some photos of prize winners) http://knightfallchess.com/events

"Bobby Fischer Memorial Open -------- March 12, 2017 (concluded)

This event was held at the Jimmie Simpson Recreation Centre from 9:00 am to 4:45 pm

Unfortunately turn out for the tournament was not as large as we initially hoped and projected!

This is due to factors such as: change of venue, change of date, low staff to meet initial demand, lack of staff with chess background, and other miscellaneous factors. This includes some players showing up to our office instead of the venue on the day of the event. We have refunded anyone was has paid in advance and offered free tournaments (with conditions) to players who have went through extreme circumstances as a result of these factors.

Regardless of these conditions. All players who have showed up to the event had a blast and this event was a success! Our main goal was to make sure players were happy and that everyone had a good time. Unfortunately due to the lower turnout we could not provide the initially large projected prize fund. This is not a problem however since the winners were happy regardless! We will be hiring data analyst so we can project more accurate prize funds for subsequent tournaments! We also have taken extreme measures to make sure we do not run into any issues in the future and have used this tournament as a learning experience. This will help us run the best possible tournaments, and serve players with grace!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                        From their web page (there are also some photos of prize winners) http://knightfallchess.com/events

"Bobby Fischer Memorial Open -------- March 12, 2017 (concluded)

This event was held at the Jimmie Simpson Recreation Centre from 9:00 am to 4:45 pm

Unfortunately turn out for the tournament was not as large as we initially hoped and projected!

This is due to factors such as: change of venue, change of date, low staff to meet initial demand, lack of staff with chess background, and other miscellaneous factors. This includes some players showing up to our office instead of the venue on the day of the event. We have refunded anyone was has paid in advance and offered free tournaments (with conditions) to players who have went through extreme circumstances as a result of these factors.

Regardless of these conditions. All players who have showed up to the event had a blast and this event was a success! Our main goal was to make sure players were happy and that everyone had a good time. Unfortunately due to the lower turnout we could not provide the initially large projected prize fund. This is not a problem however since the winners were happy regardless! We will be hiring data analyst so we can project more accurate prize funds for subsequent tournaments! We also have taken extreme measures to make sure we do not run into any issues in the future and have used this tournament as a learning experience. This will help us run the best possible tournaments, and serve players with grace!"
                        They certainly have enough spin doctors (and apparently are hiring more people!?) but the proof remains in the pudding... where is the pudding??
                        Clearly a crosstable is a required element. The pics are interesting I suppose.
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                          They certainly have enough spin doctors (and apparently are hiring more people!?) but the proof remains in the pudding... where is the pudding??
                          Clearly a crosstable is a required element. The pics are interesting I suppose.
                          Although we clearly have a "newbie" here, I am pleased to hear that they do indeed exist, and did run a tournament.

So it seems we may be able to take the SCAM label off them, at least for the moment. Their promises in future, though, have to be realistic and not misleading to falsely attract players.

I, for one, welcome any chess organizer,,,,,but they do have it seems a somewhat steep learning curve ahead of them...but persistence works miracles, IMHO. I'll give them a shot........

Bob A

Comment

eating hats

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
                            ... the CFC president himself has said on record that the organizers are sincere. I expect some hats to be eaten after March 12.
                            It initially looks like the event was a modest success. How horrible.
                            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: eating hats

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                              Hang on a minute there Nigel, other than a few pictures (can anyone say "photoshop") and a sighting of Bobby Fischer :)
                              in this world of fake news etc etc we have little evidence than an event actually occurred.
                              I find it interesting that not a single person has come forward on this forum or by email to CFC office to confirm they participated in said event.

If you participated in the event please send email to info@chess.ca with your comments. Anyone?

Comment

Re: eating hats

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                                I understand that some people on chesstalk are upset. I see that the winner of the A section is someone who I know and have met. This was not a CFC rated event and so the CFC should have little to say. We all start somewhere and this appears to have been a good start for these organizers though perhaps not as successful in terms of numbers for the reasons enumerated on their website. I am sure that they will make adjustments for their future events and will enjoy even better results. We should wish them all well.

I am inclined to give people the benefit of the doubt until they show themselves not deserving of that benefit.

Comment

Working...
                                X