Penalties for intentionally throwing a chess game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penalties for intentionally throwing a chess game

Does FIDE have any rule regarding intentionally throwing a tournament game such as GM Hou Yifan did recently? I have not seen any comments on the possible ramifications of people intentionally throwing games.

Re: Penalties for intentionally throwing a chess game

Originally posted by Larry Castle View Post
    Does FIDE have any rule regarding intentionally throwing a tournament game such as GM Hou Yifan did recently? I have not seen any comments on the possible ramifications of people intentionally throwing games.
    I can not recall any specif rule for throwing a game. There is a rule for the arranged game (I assume this takes two players). The closest rule could be applied:

11.1 The players shall take no action that will bring the game of chess into disrepute.
    with possible penalties:

warning
    increasing the remaining time of the opponent
    reducing the remaining time of the offending player
    increasing the points scored in the game by the opponent to the maximum available for that game
    reducing the points scored in the game by the offending person
    declaring the game to be lost by the offending player (the arbiter shall also decide the opponent’s score)
    a fine announced in advance
    expulsion from the competition.
    bold by me.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      I can not recall any specif rule for throwing a game. There is a rule for the arranged game (I assume this takes two players). The closest rule could be applied:

with possible penalties:

bold by me.
      It seems the most likely penalty might be a reduction in the invitations she receives to play in tournaments in the future... or some organizers might want her to post a bond of sorts to guarantee it won't happen again (she would have to agree to that stipulation) etc. I can understand her frustration but it is simply that - there obviously is no conspiracy to have her play only women until the last round ... I don't think she should have thrown that game and I suspect she regrets that decision now. Time to move on.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Thank you sir

Comment

Working...
        X