X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Transgenderism and the CFC

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
    Hi Thomas,

My concern is this. Let us say a person who appears to look like a male walks into a female-only chess tournament, tells the organizer that (s)he gender identifies as female and wants to play. What is the organizer to do?
    Hi Brad, fair enough question and I hope my previous post is not taken as being dismissive of the issue, which is becoming increasingly more prominent in a number of areas, including sports as mentioned in earlier posts. I think it is a really good idea to try to get out ahead of the issue for the benefit of tournament directors for whom this may become an issue requiring resolution, potentially on really short notice.

I am new to the CFC and have not read its underlying documents and accordingly do not have an opinion on whether or not it would be appropriate for the CFC to mandate a position on the issue for tournaments that involve the CFC in some fashion (whether from an advertising function or because the tournament will involve the CFC for rating purposes), or whether this is something that falls solely in the discretion of individual tournament directors (or perhaps provincial chess associations). But I certainly think it is a helpful discussion to have.

I participated only very recently in my first chess tournament (in which I fulfilled the role of punching bag) and accordingly am almost certainly the least qualified to provide comments on running of a tournament. However if I were a tournament director, I would want to consider two aspects: whether there are legal obligations directing or prohibiting particular conduct, and absent a clear legal direction, what I consider the appropriate decision to make generally.

The first issue, whether there is existing legal direction, would likely involve both a consideration of whether particular legislation even applies to a chess tournament (and hence my earlier comment about Bill C-16; more could be said about the scope of application of provincial human rights legislation); and secondly, assuming there is provincial human rights legislation or other legal instruments which apply, whether distinctions or decisions on the basis of gender identity rather than sex would in the circumstances constitute an adverse discriminatory practice. Distinctions even on the basis of protected grounds such as age, sex, etc. are allowed provided the distinction is not adversely discriminatory.

The second issue (independent of legal considerations, what a director should conclude to be the appropriate manner to proceed) is less clearly defined. I assume that an issue chess tournament directors may face from time to time are challenges by participants or parents of young participants to various tournament decisions that may be made. I do not know whether a concern that would be advanced would be that a particular applicant to a tournament is falsely claiming a gender identity simply to get into a perceived "easier" section - I would think that this is a concern that might be advanced rightly or wrongly more often in sports with a more physical component than chess. Public relations (media) concerns may also want to be considered.

All of this is premised on different (currently sex-defined) categories being maintained for some tournaments. In my circumstances, it does not make a difference: even if a section I may play within in the future is comprised only of house cats, I am pretty sure I would still just get run over.

Comment

I recommend that the CFC look closely at how Girl Guides in Canada has approached the issue.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/tran...nada-1.3273129

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
        I recommend that the CFC look closely at how Girl Guides in Canada has approached the issue.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/tran...nada-1.3273129
        I would caution people before they read the comments that appear to that article ... of course this issue brings out many of the haters and ignorant in this world. That notwithstanding, I am still appalled (as is often the case these days) by the vitriol that some people spew.
        Last edited by Kerry Liles; Friday, 3rd March, 2017, 03:36 PM. Reason: clarification for being appalled
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          I would caution people before they read the comments that appear to that article ... of course this issue brings out many of the haters and ignorant in this world. That notwithstanding, I am still appalled (as is often the case these days) by the vitriol that some people spew.
          I note that the article and accompanying reader comments date back to October 2015. Transgender issues in many respects is an evolving matter, and I believe within Canada (or at least the wet coast part of Canada where I live) the public's awareness, understanding and acceptance of transgender issues has been evolving since October 2015 in what I consider a positive manner.

I did not voice a personal opinion in my earlier post because I am very much a newbie here, but for the little it may be worth, the approach of the Girl Guides in the circulated article ("How do I know if a member is transgender?" ... "The only way to know if a member is transgender is if the member tells you they are") would be in my view the correct approach for a chess tournament director to take.

Comment

Very!

Most recently in the news, Mack Beggs. Beggs competed as a male in a Texas state female wrestling championship ...and won! Even though Mack declared himself as male and wants/trains to compete against fellow males.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/27/us/tex...ler-trnd-hold/

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Bean View Post
              I did not voice a personal opinion in my earlier post because I am very much a newbie here, but for the little it may be worth, the approach of the Girl Guides in the circulated article ("How do I know if a member is transgender?" ... "The only way to know if a member is transgender is if the member tells you they are") would be in my view the correct approach for a chess tournament director to take.
              Thomas, your opinions are welcome, especially if you persist in being so polite. :)

My opinion is that the problem should never come up in the first place. We should not have female-only, or male-only chess tournaments. Either concept is completely sexist and improper (unless you are prepared to argue that one gender is inherently better at chess than the other). We should just have chess tournaments for people to play in.

Comment

Hi Thomas,

My concern is this. Let us say a person who appears to look like a male walks into a female-only chess tournament, tells the organizer that (s)he gender identifies as female and wants to play. What is the organizer to do?
                If I was the organizer, I would let you play, Brad.
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Hi Thomas,

Call the press! Take the entry fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                    Call the press! Take the entry fee.
                    You have my vote.

Comment

Years ahead of my time, always.

http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...ed-sex-is-male
                      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Apart from entering in Women only tournament, we have the problem of class prices reserved exclusively for Women.

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                          We always knew you were prescient, Ben, because of your name anagram: wanna be sid (i.e. Sid Kimmelman aka Sydney Omarr). :)
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                            We always knew you were prescient, Ben, because of your name anagram: wanna be sid (i.e. Sid Kimmelman aka Sydney Omarr). :)
                            Haha, funny.

Comment

Working...
                            X