March 8 is IWD a great day to honour women chess players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March 8 is IWD a great day to honour women chess players

International Women's Day is a great day to honour women chess players. C'mon guys.

Top Canadian women in chess

Susan Polgar: groundbreaking GM
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Re: March 8 is IWD a great day to honour women chess players

I am a great fan of Judith Polgar and Susan Polgar. When I went down to St Louis (and Websters) in November she organized a tournament just for me:)
    There is also the legendary Nava Starr. and many fine young female players in Canada. A special mention and appreciation to Liza Orlova who does wonderful promotional chess work.

Comment

It needs updating with the exploits of Qiyu Zhou and others, but this article may be of interest:

http://www.bcchesshistory.com/womenschess.html

Comment

Thanks for the link to that excellent article Stephen. It was also nice to see Lynn Stringer and that cute smile of Harmony Zhu.

Comment

Originally posted by FQE
          En cette Journée de la Femme, nos plus amicales félicitations s'adressent à Qiyu Zhou, bien connue de nos Membres FQE à Montréal. En effet, Qiyu Zhou vient de recevoir le titre de GMI Féminin de la FIDE. C'est une première au Canada. Bravo !

En Anglais .. "On this Woman's Day, our most [heartfelt] congratulations go to Qiyu Zhou, well known to our FQE Members in Montreal. Indeed, Qiyu Zhou has just received the title of FIDE Woman GM. It is a first in Canada. Congratulations!"

Facebook page of Fédération québécoise des échecs
          Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Wednesday, 8th March, 2017, 01:59 PM. Reason: link to FQE
          Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Awesome Nigel! Dont forget Yuanling Yuan who will always at heart be a Canadian.

Comment

Yes, indeed!

Comment

Can I assume that the CFC has also taken steps to recognize Qiyu Zhou---and pay the expenses owing to her!

Comment

And I would also like to extend this appreciation far beyond the players to include the (too) many unsung women who have given up their time, energy and in some cases money, to organize chess tournaments & events ...and contribute to the governance thereof!

The Lynn Stringer's of our world ... to name but one.

Comment

Best new thread topic in ages.

The RA Chess club has certainly benefited from having Qiyu in the club. I expect to some year see her name listed as club champion. Svitlana Demchenko is also a very strong player in the club, playing at the WYCC and the Canadian Women's Championship. She is definitely a bright light and deserves recognition. Caroline Chen is a regular, and other fine young ladies come to the club on occasion. It wasn't that long ago the club was exclusively male. I see progress, but there is a long ways yet to go. Cheers to all the women players who have played in the RA Chess Club over the years.

Comment

Three miniatures from Canada's top women

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                      International Women's Day is a great day to honour women chess players...
                      Good idea. How about three annotated miniatures from Canada's three most successful women chess players:

http://chess.ca/newsfeed/node/946

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                        Can I assume that the CFC has also taken steps to recognize Qiyu Zhou---and pay the expenses owing to her!
                        Congratulations Qiyu. The cheque to cover travel costs was signed today and it's now in the mail. :)

Comment

Nice selections and good analytical work, John. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X