A Wild Game from the 2016 New Brunswick Closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Wild Game from the 2016 New Brunswick Closed

The following position is from the final round of the 2016 New Brunswick Closed, from my game as black against Jonathan Macdonald, with white to play:

At this point, I was, to put it mildly, surprised when Jonathan uncorked 24 Rxc6!? What do you think of this position, and of the consequences of Rxc6?

Re: A Wild Game from the 2016 New Brunswick Closed

Misha Tal still lives in our hearts. (even with computers in the background or foreground)

Comment

That's quite the idea! As best as I can make it (without an engine), black (I think) survives, and (I think) even should win. I'm not sure of course, but that's what I currently am thinking.

24. Rxc6!? bxc6 (Qe7? Qxa7! and black is in a fix because Qa8 with mate to follow is the threat, and the rook is poisoned because of mate). 25. Nxc6+ (the only logical follow up) Kc7 (Kc8 Qa6+ leads to the same position but with the queen on a6).

So after Kc7 it appears there are two possible lines to follow; one is Qxa7+, and the other is Rc1. Neither is very promising.

26. Qxa7+ Kxc6 (Kc8 is perhaps possible, but why allow Qa6+ Kc7 Rc1 which is an improvement over the earlier position) 27. Rc1+ (I considered 27. a4 but Qb8 seems to give the needed escape square and allow for a b6 blockade). Kb5 and I don't see a great way to proceed. 28. b3 is the best try, but Rb8 seems to refute it

Now for Rc1

24. Rxc6 bxc6 25. Nxc6+ Kc7 26. Rc1 At first glance it seems there is no escape, however black has I think two move; Re1+?!, and Qxf4!. 26 Re1+ 27. Rxe1 Qxc6 28. Qxa7+ Kd8 is perhaps playable for white, but 26. Qxf4 gives the d6 square for the king, and attacks the rook threatening devastating things, and that appears to win. For example 27. Qa5+ Kd6 28. Rc2 loses to Qg3+! 29. Kh1 (29. Kf1 Qxd3+) Re1+

I don't think it's sound for white, but perhaps there are other options i'm not seeing. At any rate it was a bold move!

Comment

Your analysis is much the same as mine was during the game. The game continued 24 Rxc6 bxc6 25 Nxc6+ Kc7 26 Qxa7+ Kxc6 27 Rc1+ Kb5, and considering the position and the tournament situation (I was in a three-way tie for first entering the round) I was quite tense! Fortunately for me, as my moves were more or less forced while my opponent had options to consider, I had a considerable amount of time left while he was running quite short, and the finish came as 28 Qb7+ Nb6 29 Rc5+ Ka4 30 Qa6+ Kb3 31 Rb5+ Ka2 32 Rxb6 Qxf4 0-1. The position at move 28, though, feels like there must be something for white better than the game continuation. I'd suggest 28 Rc3, with the threat of Rb3+ and Qb7#, after which 28... Rb8 seems to defuse the threat into a perpetual of 29 Rb3+ Kc6 30 Rc3+ Kb5, but I haven't been able to find a line for white which does more than that.

Incidentally, I think in your 26 Rc1 line, you're right that Qxf4! is winning, but during the game, I was dead-set on playing Re1+- I was fortunate that Jonathan didn't venture down that line!

Comment

It is good to see my old friend, Jonathan, continuing to play good chess! Please pass along my kindest regards to him.

Comment

Working...
          X