A chess problem solvable by intuition but not by computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A chess problem solvable by intuition but not by computers

Perhaps I didn't see your response while scanning through the posts. Thanks for the nudge. I'm flattered that you were so anxious to hear my feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
      Well yes, that was sort of my point. The same logic goes to an electron striking the screen in a double slit experiment. The electron might hit one point on the screen or another, you cannot predict as an individual electron. But after millins of electrons you get a clear interference pattern that you can precisely model mathematically. But does your dice in your example really shows free will when it rolls a 6 instead of a 2? Does the electron? If no, how is the bacteria any different? And if it isn't, how is a person?
      It is not my field of study specifically, but I always thought it's a little preposterous to extrapolate one subatomic phenomenon to an organism composed of billions of billons of billions of atoms. The scales are so vastly different as to warrant some healthy skepticism (in my humble opinion). But physicists do that all the time and it seems they don't get challenged by the biologists.

Comment

All of this physics is quite interesting, but since my training is in metaphysics I must conclude that material substance does not exist and that all reality is mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
          All of this physics is quite interesting, but since my training is in metaphysics I must conclude that material substance does not exist and that all reality is mind.
          How would a metaphysicist account for the consequences of stepping off a curb directly into the path of an oncoming car?
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
            Or, as we used to say in the philosophy department 50 years ago, "no matter, never mind".

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
              How would a metaphysicist account for the consequences of stepping off a curb directly into the path of an oncoming car?

I think in this current political cycle, the response might be: "Fake news!"

Where the question gets very interesting is when the car in question is a Ford Escape......
              Only the rushing is heard...
              Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
              X