CFC Member Stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC Member Stats

Congratulations Bob on great membership numbers!

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    I don't think this includes people who purchased tournament memberships. At least another 1000.
    Anyone know how many members in the FQE membership?
    Hello Paul,

To get a quick estimate, I downloaded the latest Bulletin électronique from the FQE site and sorted by the Échéance column.

There were 1469 active members (those with expiry dates past May 01, 2017). In addition, 359 people had their memberships expired in the first four months of 2017; they probably can be considered a part of the active pool.

Of course, the same file contains 151 records with expiry dates between 1753 and 1899 ;-) but the rest of the data seems fairly clean.

Comment

Member Stats Comparision - CFC & FQE

Originally posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
      Congratulations Bob on great membership numbers!

Hello Paul,

To get a quick estimate, I downloaded the latest Bulletin électronique from the FQE site and sorted by the Échéance column.

There were 1469 active members (those with expiry dates past May 01, 2017). In addition, 359 people had their memberships expired in the first four months of 2017; they probably can be considered a part of the active pool.

Of course, the same file contains 151 records with expiry dates between 1753 and 1899 ;-) but the rest of the data seems fairly clean.
      Hi Vadim:

Nice stats..........

Now, back to my question........I wonder how many FQE members actually have fully-paid up CFC memberships as well (We know there is one, Hugh Brodie)?

I have played in FQE tournaments a number of times, and have an FQE personal rating page, and an FQE rating. But I personally have never paid for an FQE membership to my knowledge, and I don't think I was ever given one just because I had registered for an FQE-rated tournament.

Is it the case that almost no CFC members have actual FQE memberships? And that almost no FQE members have actual CFC memberships.

If so, is this not the result of the CFC-FQE Accord of some years ago?

Each side agreed to treat each others' memberships as if they were there own, at least for CFC-rated and FQE-rated tournaments? If all you wanted was to not have to buy the other's membership to play in their tournaments, and weren't interested in the chess politics of the other side, nor any perceived member benefit of the other side, then there was no need at all to hold dual memberships.

I would expect that Hugh Brodie is a bit of an exception, since Hugh did wish to actively take part in CFC Chess Politics (And has been a CFC Voting Member, formerly Governor). But are there many more like Hugh.........I'd be surprised if there are more than a handful!

Bob A

NOTE: FQE is not a lot smaller than CFC when it comes to fully-paid-up Membership! And it is just one province, and I bet there are few non-Quebec-resident members. CFC is dealing with 9 provinces...........
      Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 4th May, 2017, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Re: Member Stats Comparision - CFC & FQE

Ironic that one of the top organizers in Canada congratulates organizers on a great job. Thank you Garvin for all your hard work and endless giving!! Wish I could support you more.

Comment

Re: Member Stats Comparision - CFC & FQE

Breakdown of the member stats can be found here:

http://chess.ca/membership-stats

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
            Final membership count as of May 1 = 2,140.
            Highest since 2005. Thanks everyone.
            Ps. Numbers for May 1 were adjusted down to 2,133 after some errors found. Thanks Fred and Lyle.

Membership count for August 1 = 2,190. A nice increase of 57 members in the last 3 months.
            We seem to be on a healthy upward trend. :)
            Thanks to all the clubs, organizers, volunteers, and supporters across Canada. You make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              Ps. Numbers for May 1 were adjusted down to 2,133 after some errors found. Thanks Fred and Lyle.

Membership count for August 1 = 2,190. A nice increase of 57 members in the last 3 months.
              We seem to be on a healthy upward trend. :)
              Thanks to all the clubs, organizers, volunteers, and supporters across Canada. You make it happen.
              Seems to a lot of "adjusting" going on, Bob G.!

Good thing others try to keep you honest ... or else the membership would be over 10,000 LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Good thing others try to keep you honest ... or else the membership would be over 10,000 LOL!
                You would think the membership numbers were climate change statistics that needed to be adjusted to show an increasing trend despite the raw data showing the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                  You would think the membership numbers were climate change statistics that needed to be adjusted to show an increasing trend despite the raw data showing the opposite.
                  I particularly enjoyed Hugh's post pointing out the deceased members ... LOL!

Next time, and there will be a next time, you guys try in to inflate membership numbers try NOT to get caught!

Comment

I particularly enjoyed Hugh's post pointing out the deceased members ... LOL!

Next time, and there will be a next time, you guys try in to inflate membership numbers try NOT to get caught!
                    Yeah, deceased members are really not very good at notifying the CFC office of their new status.
                    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      Yeah, deceased members are really not very good at notifying the CFC office of their new status.
                      If they start notifying us then we'll start to get worried.

Comment

Currently we have life members. Perhaps we need to consider eternal life members though I'm sure the atheist wing will object.

Comment

Some of the adjustment was life members (GM's or IM's) that were being picked up as Canadian, but now living elsewhere.

And who knows how many deceased life members we have ? We try and remove them from the rolls, but sometimes it's not that easy. I know of one life member (not deceased) who last played in 1972. Despite living in ON for all of that time, he has never changed his province from NB.

Comment

Censored my post ... how CNN of you, Fred.

Comment

Does someone who buys a one time tournament membership count?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris White View Post
                                Does someone who buys a one time tournament membership count?
                                As a member, no. As a potential future member, yes.

Comment

Working...
                                X