CFC Member Stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC Member Stats

Could the terminology be changed so that tournament members would be included as a member for the calendar year for stats purposes? Our current regular membership could be called "full membership" and that would include the newsletter. The number would be a better indicator of those who played chess in Canada. (Not sure if there are that many tournament members - but just curious).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris White View Post
      Could the terminology be changed so that tournament members would be included as a member for the calendar year for stats purposes? Our current regular membership could be called "full membership" and that would include the newsletter. The number would be a better indicator of those who played chess in Canada. (Not sure if there are that many tournament members - but just curious).
      Probably not. Membership has its privileges and in the case where the CFC were winding up or someone was trying to strip the CFC of its assets the non-voting members would get a vote. Changing the structure of the CFC would require a two thirds vote of the voting members and creating another class of membership would be considered a change in structure which would also incur a notification fee to the government. It would also complicate things quite a bit in the event that poison pills were invoked as the temporary tournament members might in some case have a veto over anything the voting members and suddenly voting non-voting members might decide.

Comment

Participant Member, perhaps?

I do agree Chris, that the current 'types' of Memberships need to be more fluid.
        Last edited by Neil Frarey; Monday, 14th August, 2017, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          Probably not. Membership has its privileges and in the case where the CFC were winding up or someone was trying to strip the CFC of its assets the non-voting members would get a vote. Changing the structure of the CFC would require a two thirds vote of the voting members and creating another class of membership would be considered a change in structure which would also incur a notification fee to the government. It would also complicate things quite a bit in the event that poison pills were invoked as the temporary tournament members might in some case have a veto over anything the voting members and suddenly voting non-voting members might decide.
          Okay thanks for the info! I wasn't thinking along those lines at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
            Participant Member, perhaps?

I do agree Chris, that the current 'types' of Memberships need to be more fluid.
            You want to blow out your numbers - use "organized players" or "active players" and start counting everyone playing in the tournaments of CFC/FQE/CMA and others.
            Use "members" who support your purposes.

Comment

It would probably take a bit of work, but it should be possible to produce a number of tournament participants (Regular / Quick) in the fiscal year. Whether it would be worth the manpower is the question. Using the word members for these people is not accurate as some are past members and some purchased single tournament "passes".

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                It would probably take a bit of work, but it should be possible to produce a number of tournament participants (Regular / Quick) in the fiscal year. Whether it would be worth the manpower is the question. Using the word members for these people is not accurate as some are past members and some purchased single tournament "passes".
                Someone proficient with Access and Excel can figure out the number of active players (regular and TM) in about 15 minutes. I know, I've done it on occasion,

Step one: In the CFC Access database filter the entries in the Tournaments by the date range required.

Step two: copy those entries to Excel.

Step three: Use a pivot table to get CFC #s versus total number of games played in the period.

Step four: Filter out those whose total number of games is too small to be considered active.

Done.

Not sure that it is worth doing except insofar as it provides a better picture of active players than the membership list. (the membership list includes inactive players, excludes those with TMs, excludes all those junior events for which membership is not required. On the other hand, those all junior scholastic events might not be representative of the picture of chess activity you desire either.)

Comment

ps:

ps: It is something you could easily add to automatic inquiries of the database as per the earlier discussion on making changes or additions to the existing database inquires.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    You want to blow out your numbers - use "organized players" or "active players" and start counting everyone playing in the tournaments of CFC/FQE/CMA and others.
                    Use "members" who support your purposes.
                    Yep! That would def blow out the No!

I want to know the exact data as deep as it can go. Who (all their vitals, not just personal stuff but also game stuff. Tourney section(s), rating fluctuation, etc) Where (not only where they reside, but also where they play, if/when they travel to play) When (TTP, one time, only club, weekend, etc). All of that goodness has to be sorted out; and then create email campaigns targeted to those brackets.

Not just for membership email prompts or even the fresh new "Bring a Chess Friend" campaign ... but rather campaigns which will benefit the existing member in a lot more ways than one!!!

Targeted growth is all data driven ... key part of the future CFC.

Sh*t load of work, but well worth it!
                    Last edited by Neil Frarey; Thursday, 17th August, 2017, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                      I am looking at the current "td list" via Excel. What is the difference between expiration dates of 31/12/2099 and 01/12/2099 (and the four that have 01/01/2099)? I'm assuming they are Life Members. There are also some with expiry dates in the 1950's and 1940's - what do they represent? How do you treat deceased members? There are also some with expiry dates in the 1980's that are current FQE members - shouldn't these be coordinated somehow?

Re: Quebec Life Members:

1) I don't think Renier Castellanos has lived in Canada for some years.
                      2) Pascal Charbonneau has lived in NYC for some years.
                      3) Graham Glen hasn't lived in QC for many years. Now in AB.

Others:

1) Smilja Vojosevic (ON) is deceased.
                      2) Danny Kopec (US) is deceased.
                      3) Peter Biyiasis (BC) should be FO.
                      I also looked at expiry of the TD list and it's tough to wrap your head around. How can there be such a difference between "expiring" dates and annual membership? It does not appear that there are duplicate names in the TD list.

Expiry - TD List - CFC Membership
                      2016 --- 1307 --- 1576
                      2015 --- 1254 --- 1390
                      2014 --- 2123 --- 1428
                      2013 --- 2098 --- 1411
                      2012 --- 1744 --- 1412

Edit: Presumably it has something to do with single tournament memberships, but that seems high.
                      Last edited by Brent Golem; Tuesday, 22nd August, 2017, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent Golem View Post
                        I also looked at expiry of the TD list and it's tough to wrap your head around. How can there be such a difference between "expiring" dates and annual membership? It does not appear that there are duplicate names in the TD list.

2016 --- 1307 --- 1576
                        2015 --- 1254 --- 1390
                        2014 --- 2123 --- 1428
                        2013 --- 2098 --- 1411
                        2012 --- 1744 --- 1412

Edit: Presumably it has something to do with single tournament memberships, but that seems high.
                        I'm not sure you can do much with your 3 variables.

Where are the 2017 and 2018 Expiring dates ?

When someone purchases a tournament "membership" they may get the first of the month of the tournament as their expiry date or they may keep their last expiry date. All junior tournaments don't require a CFC membership (think of it as a Free tournament "membership").

Tournament membership do not count toward regular membership (nor do non CFC members in Junior only tournaments)
                        Last edited by Fred McKim; Tuesday, 22nd August, 2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

2016 --- 1307 --- 1576
                          2015 --- 1254 --- 1390
                          2014 --- 2123 --- 1428
                          2013 --- 2098 --- 1411
                          2012 --- 1744 --- 1412

Brent, there is no reason these two numbers would match.
                          For example, your figure of 1,576 memberships for 2016 ( per note 5 ) only include specific membership types, but most of those would now have expiry dates of 2017 or 2018 as many of them have since renewed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                            Brent, there is no reason these two numbers would match.
                            For example, your figure of 1,576 memberships for 2016 ( per note 5 ) only include specific membership types, but most of those would now have expiry dates of 2017 or 2018 as many of them have since renewed.
                            Sorry, I didn't put them side by side questioning why they didn't match. I'm just wondering how more memberships expire than were even paid for. I'm not sure how many members are "new" and how many are "renewals" in the CFC financial documents. I guess there are 1000's of youth playing in a single tournament for free to get on the TD list and then not "renewing". 2/3 of expiring players are rated under 1200.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't put them side by side questioning why they didn't match. I'm just wondering how more memberships expire than were even paid for. I'm not sure how many members are "new" and how many are "renewals" in the CFC financial documents. I guess there are 1000's of youth playing in a single tournament for free to get on the TD list and then not "renewing". 2/3 of expiring players are rated under 1200.
                              Ah, now I understand. Yes, a big majority of the expired memberships on the TD list will be juniors who have never paid membership dues. Juniors only pay for memberships when they either play in the CYCC or join in adult tournaments. I don't have any relevant stats on this at my finger tips, but we are currently developing some data mining programs that may shed some light in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                                Ah, now I understand. Yes, a big majority of the expired memberships on the TD list will be juniors who have never paid membership dues. Juniors only pay for memberships when they either play in the CYCC or join in adult tournaments. I don't have any relevant stats on this at my finger tips, but we are currently developing some data mining programs that may shed some light in the near future.

Bob, are the rumors true? Has Neil Frarey been instated as the "canary in the data mine"?
                                Only the rushing is heard...
                                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
                                X