Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC Member Stats

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
    It seems to me that the advent of the internet age is more responsible for the situation of the CFC over the last 20 years than anything else. I do not believe that a tremendous amount of responsibility lies with the volunteers who have stepped forward because they love the game. Sure, sometimes mistakes are made. But it is not easy to take on the responsibilities of a sinking ship and try to keep it afloat. Anyone who has tried deserves credit for the attempt more than they do criticism for not being able to perform miracles.
    Thanks Brad. Just another day at the CFC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFOUqRBWH-I

Just kidding. We continue to make progress every year.
    Success is dependent upon our many devoted volunteers across the country.
    Everyone pat yourself on the back. We're all in this together.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Monday, 27th March, 2017, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
      In 2012, the Long-term Planning Committee produced a plan for chess in Canada, including a projection (hope?) for 10,000 members in 10 years. "How realistic is a goal of 10,000 CFC members in ten years? It is quite realistic and merely requires some active and strategic intervention by the volunteers already working to expand the popularity of chess."

We are about halfway thru that 10-year plan - how are we doing? http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...oto=nextoldest
      I think that was based on everyone doing what Windsor was doing to encourage chess play among junior players. Unfortunately not even Windsor is doing what Windsor was doing.

Comment

Not only that, but the CFC had to spend much of its energy one year just to redo its Handbook to satisfy new federal regulations.
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
          NJF's greatest legacy as a chess agitator
          Grandmasterov's favourite hockey team certainly has the best agitator in the NHL, it must be admitted. :)

Comment

The initiating of the RA club's policy to admit more talented very young players is, IMHO, perhaps NJF's greatest legacy as a chess agitator and organizer, if the future holds nothing else in store.
            That was a winning day for rated organized chess in Canada ...and perhaps even more so for the RACC... to have vital young blood being continually fed into a system that has such an important need and desire!

Sorry to say Kevs, but that wasn't my intent.

My intent was, and always will be, to bring organized chess into mainstream Canada. At that particular RACC AGM I felt that its current policy was more exclusive than inclusive and therefore I had to put forward an appropriate motion to deal with it.

And that ... and only that ... is what will place the Chess Federation of Canada into mainstream Canadian awareness ... 'market share' if you will.

INCLUSIVITY!

From what I've seen with the current CFC Exec., and all other 'modern' CFC execs that have come before them for that matter, they're all keen on heading in the wrong direction. A vision of dribs & drabs which is result of a top down policy. A focus on the glory, a focus on the less than 10% instead of on the vast majority ...the 90%.

90% of rated organized CFC chess is U2200.

75% of that U1600.

WAKE UP!

The Chess Fed of Canada is fed, and always will be fed, from the bottom up ... not from the top down.

Kevin, please don't make the common mistake of most every CFC Exec. of focusing on our elite 2200+ instead of celebrating our U1600s ... loud and proud from coast to coast to coast. They are our backbone which give our 2200+ the ability to stand up and move about.

So having said all that my (our) legacy has yet to come Kevin ...OTB chess... is CFC chess!!! Creating our brand & our brand's awareness & the vital importance our brand's participation in Canada at large has yet to come. Rest assured it will come with my CFC presidency.

And while I'm going at it; as president of the CFC I'm willing to commit to this:

1. In my 1st year as president of the CFC, we will double our membership numbers. If we don't, I'll personally pay to the CFC Treasurer 1 dollar for every membership that we fall short! In other words ... I'll put my money where my mouth is.

2. This second wager is a longer term one Kevin, as president of the CFC I'll bet you a full course dinner at the RA Fieldhouse that within 10 years a full blood First Nation person will win the Canadian Open due to in large part our, and yet to come, Chess Federation of Canada First Nations Initiative! I'd wager a First Nation's FIDE World Champion, but first things first eh.

Oh ya, that Inclusivity thing again ...come down from your pedatstals.

It's time the Chess Federation of Canada claimed its rightful place in mainstream Canada ...on the common level.

peace.
            n.
            Last edited by Neil Frarey; Friday, 31st March, 2017, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Why not offer a membership for 6 months as well. This Gives people a chance to feel out the CFC and let them play in tournaments (usually more than enough within 6 months). So they can see if they would like a full year membership. You can even offer two months extended if they sign up after their 6 months expires.

I have heard of all those Junior tournaments with hundreds of juniors. Why not offer a 4 month membership for them that can be renewable 2 times then they'd have to buy a full junior membership if they want to continue playing in CFC rated events.

Comment

Hmm... I seem to recall that already there is at least one quite strong young First Nations player in Canada that is currently active. I haven't been much of a betting man since I got gammoned with the doubling cube at 32 (albeit for just 25 cents a point stakes) against my old pal 'Swindles Findles' a long time ago in T.O. That is, other than for neglible things like the glass of coke I lost to Alvah when he beat Frank some years ago, in some sort of fast TC short chess match. Then, there might be how spiritually principled wagering is (don't really know; oddly enough there is arguably some scriptural support for moderate alcohol consumption). With all that in mind, I'll tell you what Neil: if you simply become CFC President before the end of 2020 A.D., I'll go to the RA Fieldhouse right after chess club hours some night shortly after, and buy you a full size pitcher of beer (up to you whether to share any) plus a pound of chicken wings, by way of my hearty congratulations to you. :)

Comment

Say Neil, tell you what. If Kevin doesn't take your bet I will. And I'll throw in a sweetener:

1) If you meet or exceed your target, I'll pay in 1 dollar for each member added to double membership, and I'll add $5 for each member over the double limit. All payments (yours and mine) to go into the Pugi fund.

2) I'll add paying for dinner for the Canadian Open winner (either the first nations champion or 2027 champion, whichever comes first), the next time he or she is in Ottawa.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                    And while I'm going at it; as president of the CFC I'm willing to commit to this
                    Are you another knight coming and promising bright future for the CFC? At least get serious and update your CFC membership, play in one or two tournaments, then organizer some. You don't need to be a president to do that.

Comment

oddly enough there is arguably some scriptural support for moderate alcohol consumption)
                      Hi Kevin,

Jesus' first reported miracle of turning water into wine at a wedding reception so that the people could party and celebrate the wedding is plenty more than "some scriptural support". Jesus telling his apostles at the last supper to drink wine (and eat unleavened bread) to remember him by proves it. There is nothing un-Christian about drinking alcohol. Though I am sure one could come up with a scripture or two that could be interpreted as speaking against staggering around in a state of blind drunkenness.

Comment

11 tournaments (with 32 sections) rated in a week!!! Not too bad.
                        I'm wondering how many players.

http://chess.ca/crosstable?search_to...799fd3d7545d3d

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                          11 tournaments (with 32 sections) rated in a week!!! Not too bad.
                          I'm wondering how many players.

http://chess.ca/crosstable?search_to...799fd3d7545d3d
                          Actually, we rated 14 tournaments (with 37 sections) yesterday. :)

Comment

It has been a good first week of April for memberships.
                            We hit 2,106 for April 1,
                            then it dropped to 2,000 on April 2 as all those April 1 memberships expired.
                            Now 1 week in, April 7 = 2,050
                            A good start to reach our target of 2,128 for May 1, 2017. :)

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                              In 2012, the Long-term Planning Committee produced a plan for chess in Canada, including a projection (hope?) for 10,000 members in 10 years. "How realistic is a goal of 10,000 CFC members in ten years? It is quite realistic and merely requires some active and strategic intervention by the volunteers already working to expand the popularity of chess."

We are about halfway thru that 10-year plan - how are we doing? http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...oto=nextoldest
                              As Vlad alluded to, a lot of the planning was based on repeating previous success stories in the case of Windsor. Fwiw, my first instinct was that Windsor was something of a special case, but I still saw quite a lot that could be salvaged from the plan as presented. If nothing else it is filled with many goals and observations that remain valid. Years ago I left something like well over a dozen suggestions of what might be done practically (in my view) with the plan in the Governor's private forum, for Voting Members who might look at some point.

How to sum up the progress of the CFC since 2012? My views are subjective and with incomplete knowledge, but here's some lists of my quick impressions:

Vision:
                              1) 10,000 CFC members in 10 years (Unlikely);
                              2) CFC co-operating with FQE (Yes);
                              3) Sponsorship a) Corporate (Quite a bit still coming in, I think) & b) Government (No);
                              4) CFC co-operating with CMA (Yes);
                              5) Increase number of organizers, clubs & teachers in Canada (Not significantly so, yet, I think);
                              6) CFC communication & services to members improved (About the same, I think);
                              7) Visibility for chess and chessplayers improved in Canada by CFC somehow (No, I think).

Specific Recommendations:
                              1) Get CFC-FQE agreement (Yes);
                              2) YCC scrapped, or fixed (The former happened, I think);
                              3) 10,000 CFC members in 10 years (unlikely);
                              4) CFC a force for chess education, e.g. core subject in schools (Not yet, I think);
                              5) Non-playing CFC membership class for chess parents (Not yet);
                              6) Some sort of recreational player CFC membership class (Not yet);
                              7) Chess server deal, or one owned by CFC (Not yet).

Here's a wish list of my own for competitive (CFC) chess; I'll start with the good news as I perceive it:

1) Ways offered to improve at chess (Yes; teaching and coaching widespread for a long time);
                              2) More junior CFC members since 2012 (Slightly up, I think);
                              3) More adult CFC members since 2012 (Slightly up, I think);
                              4) More 2200+ CFC members since 2012 (Slightly up, I think);
                              5) More female CFC members since 2012 (Slightly up, I think);
                              6) Progress towards CFC regaining charitable status (Perhaps, since Cdn Govt recognized chess as Ol sport);

Continuing now with some things I have no inkling of [possible lack of] progress by CFC:

7) More senior CFC members since 2012? (Don't know, since date of birth not tracked by CFC);
                              8) CFC transparency improved? (Maybe; public pie chart of [necc.] expenditures currently would be unwise P/R maybe);

Now for some other things that don't seem to be happening yet:

9) Occasional membership surveys;
                              10) CFC fostering the development of more team chess across Canada;
                              11) Get demographics of CFC members (e.g. get date of birth, if nothing else);
                              12) Get any Provincial Associations not already relating to/affiliated with CFC into the fold somehow;
                              13) Offer something to (e.g. adult) players who seem to have stagnant ratings, e.g. rating floor like USCF;

Finally, some things that would be nice if the CFC ever had considerably more money &/or time:

14) Print magazine for members again;
                              15) Physical office again;
                              16) Revisit the CFC governance structure (or one member one vote), perhaps.

Fwiw, I think these lists perhaps might be helpful to any CFC Presidential candidate in the times ahead, in their formulating a comprehensive platform or plan, if he or she has not already done so.
                              Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 19th April, 2017, 01:12 PM. Reason: Deletion in item # 10), adding content in item # 8)

Comment

As Vlad alluded to, a lot of the planning was based on repeating previous success stories in the case of Windsor. Fwiw, my first instinct was that Windsor was something of a special case, but I still saw quite a lot that could be salvaged from the plan as presented. If nothing else it is filled with many goals and observations that remain valid. Years ago I left something like well over a dozen suggestions of what might be done practically (in my view) with the plan in the Governor's private forum, for Voting Members who might look at some point.

How to sum up the progress of the CFC since 2012? My views are subjective and with incomplete knowledge, but here's some lists of my quick impressions:

Vision:
                                1) 10,000 CFC members in 10 years (Unlikely);
                                I still think this is attainable with the right organizer infrastructure which we admittedly do not have at the moment. You have to remember that youth membership is not required until you wish to play in a national championship, a FIDE rated tournament, or against adults. I just had a first lesson with a young PH'd student who has never played in a CFC event but wants to become a better chess player. There is a pent up demand we are just not able to fulfill it. You simply can't hope for a big turn around without lots of people working in communities across Canada.

2) CFC co-operating with FQE (Yes);
                                3) Sponsorship a) Corporate (Quite a bit still coming in, I think) & b) Government (No);
                                Windsor 2016 CYCC/CO ($5000) had, Sault Ste Marie 2017 CO/CYCC and the Quebec City 2018 CO/CYCC have government sponsorship.

4) CFC co-operating with CMA (Yes);
                                5) Increase number of organizers, clubs & teachers in Canada (Not significantly so, yet, I think);
                                6) CFC communication & services to members improved (About the same, I think);
                                7) Visibility for chess and chessplayers improved in Canada by CFC somehow (No, I think).
                                I don't think chess has been in the news more in my memory. During my tenure as CFC president I have gotten a steady number of calls from journalists writing stories about chess.

Specific Recommendations:
                                1) Get CFC-FQE agreement (Yes);
                                We do have to get a renewed agreement since the agreement is now year to year.

2) YCC scrapped, or fixed (The former happened, I think);
                                Nothing has been scrapped or fixed. The same system is in place.

3) 10,000 CFC members in 10 years (unlikely);
                                Possible if we start now.

4) CFC a force for chess education, e.g. core subject in schools (Not yet, I think);
                                There are lots of people working on many things across the country. Education is a provincial responsibility. You need people working in each provincial jurisdiction with each provincial bureaucracy to get anything done. I don't think that having chess as a core subject is very realistic at this moment. Having chess in every school is realistic.

5) Non-playing CFC membership class for chess parents (Not yet);
                                6) Some sort of recreational player CFC membership class (Not yet);
                                7) Chess server deal, or one owned by CFC (Not yet).
                                We have a chess server deal. We have no one to administer it. I simply could not add this task to my duties last year while organizing the CYCC, CO and NAYCC. Trying to do so would have killed me. As it is last summer's work load put me in a difficult situation health wise. There is a reason why I have not been able to play in tournaments recently and it is not because I don't want to.

Here's a wish list of my own for competive (CFC) chess; I'll start with the good news as I perceive it:

1) Ways offered to improve at chess (Yes; teaching and coaching widespread for a long time);
                                2) More junior CFC members since 2012 (Slightly up, I think);
                                3) More adult CFC members since 2012 (Slightly up, I think);
                                4) More 2200+ CFC members since 2012 (Slightly up, I think);
                                5) More female CFC members since 2012 (Slightly up, I think);
                                6) Progress towards CFC regaining charitable status (Perhaps, since Cdn Govt recognized chess as Ol sport);
                                To be more precise the Canadian Olympic Committee recognized the CFC as the national sporting body for chess again.

Continuing now with some things I have no inkling of [possible lack of] progress by CFC:

7) More senior CFC members since 2012? (Don't know, since date of birth not tracked by CFC);
                                8) CFC transparency improved? (Maybe; public pie chart of necc. expenditures currently unwise P/R maybe);

Now for some other things that don't seem to be happening yet:

9) Occasional membership surveys;
                                10) CFC fostering the development of more clubs & team chess across Canada;
                                11) Get demographics of CFC members (e.g. get date of birth, if nothing else);
                                12) Get any Provincial Associations not already relating to/affiliated with CFC into the fold somehow;
                                Saskatchewan is about to rejoin the fold with the voting members assent.

13) Offer something to (e.g. adult) players who seem to have stagnant ratings, e.g. rating floor like USCF;

Finally, some things that would be nice if the CFC ever had considerably more money &/or time:

14) Paper magazine for members again;
                                This is simply not feasible with our current numbers. Postage rates and costs for printing make this impossible at our current membership rate and numbers.

15) Physical office again;
                                Again not possible with our current resources. What would having a physical office add to the equation beyond multiplying expenses. Most of what we do and need to do is done by email or on computers.

16) Revisit the CFC governance structure (or one member one vote), perhaps.

Fwiw, I think these lists perhaps might be helpful to any CFC Presidential candidate in the times ahead, in their formulating a comprehensive platform or plan, if he or she has not already done so.

Comment

Working...
                                X