Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC Member Stats

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    And what happens with a player like me - I am a CFC life member, and have an FQE rating number, though I am not actually an FQE member.

Bob A
    Bob, you have a CFC Life membership, so you are included.
    Whether or not you have an FQE membership or rating, irrelevant.
    You are only counted once.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      Does that mean that the only CFC members in Quebec are those very few like me that are members of both?
      Yes, that is correct.

Comment

Bob wrote:

Hugh, you have a Life membership with CFC, so you are included.
        Your FQE membership is not included in these numbers.
        Yes - but what about others living on Quebec? Does the count of CFC members in Quebec only include CFC life members? Are all others assumed to be FQE members only and not counted in the CFC count?

Comment

Bob wrote:

Yes - but what about others living on Quebec? Does the count of CFC members in Quebec only include CFC life members? Are all others assumed to be FQE members only and not counted in the CFC count?
          They are supposed to be counted in the total but they are not directly accessible by the CFC and therefore they don't tend to be counted in the statistics when doing these calculations.

Comment

Bob wrote:

At the moment we are factually reporting CFC Members, perhaps Bob should start releasing the number of players who have participated in a Regular rated event in the past year. We do now have access to it.

Comment

Before the CFC-FQE agreement came into effect, there were (let's say) 100 CFC members in Quebec. Assuming they are all still living in Quebec and playing in tournaments, they are now FQE members only. So have we suddenly lost 100 CFC members in the membership stats?

Comment

Before the CFC-FQE agreement came into effect, there were (let's say) 100 CFC members in Quebec. Assuming they are all still living in Quebec and playing in tournaments, they are now FQE members only. So have we suddenly lost 100 CFC members in the membership stats?
                Hugh, you can find the annual membership stats on the CFC website here

http://chess.ca/membership-stats

You can see that May 2012 (prior to agreement) there were 115 CFC members in Quebec.
                In May 2013 (agreement in effect), there are 42 CFC members in Quebec.
                The Honorary and Life members remained in the totals, but regular Adult and Junior members dropped from the count.

So, yes, you make a good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                  The upward trend on memberships is continuing.
                  Final count as of Sept 1 = 2,207
                  Then 80 members dropped off the list expiring Sept 1 (2,127)
                  Then the count climbs during the month,
                  Count as of today (Sept 19) = 2,196
                  It looks like Oct 1 will be higher again.
                  We did it, again.
                  Member Stats for October 1, 2017 = 2,241
                  That's a health jump for 1 month.
                  Memberships expiring on Oct 1 = 145
                  So, today we are back down to 2,096.
                  Can we keep the upward trend going for Nov 1?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                    We did it, again.
                    Member Stats for October 1, 2017 = 2,241
                    That's a health jump for 1 month.
                    Memberships expiring on Oct 1 = 145
                    So, today we are back down to 2,096.
                    Can we keep the upward trend going for Nov 1?
                    Hi Bob G:

1. Do you think this upward trend is due to there being more rated Canadian Tournaments, thus generating some of the "new" (As opposed to "renewed") members?

2. Do you think there are fewer new tournament players now taking out only " 1 Tournament Payments" (Called by some "Tournament Memberships", but I think this is just confusing; these tournament players are in no way CFC members)?

3. To what extent are CFC Tournament active clubs generating these new CFC members?

Bob A
                    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 2nd October, 2017, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• Re: CFC Member Stats

I renewed my son's CFC membership in September. We never received any notification that his membership is about to expire.
                      Do you remind members that their membership is due for renewal? That should not be difficult to do, and could reduce those monthly jumps in member counts.
                      PayPal has an option for preapproved automatic payments. Why not implement something like that?
                      How about 6-month payment plan for life time membership?

Comment

Hi Alex ;
                        Does your son or you not check his rating? The expiry date is in the list of info.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                          Hi Alex ;
                          Does your son or you not check his rating? The expiry date is in the list of info.
                          I check his rating after he plays tournament. He didn't play much this summer and I remembered to renew his membership because I was checking list of upcoming tournaments and decided to check his rating too.
                          It would be nice to receive email remainder that membership is about to expire with a link to make payment.
                          I wouldn't mind to sign up for an automatic annual renewal on PayPal as he likes to play chess and I hope this will be something he will enjoy for many years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Starks View Post
                            I check his rating after he plays tournament. He didn't play much this summer and I remembered to renew his membership because I was checking list of upcoming tournaments and decided to check his rating too.
                            It would be nice to receive email remainder that membership is about to expire with a link to make payment.
                            I wouldn't mind to sign up for an automatic annual renewal on PayPal as he likes to play chess and I hope this will be something he will enjoy for many years to come.
                            Keep talking Alex, good stuff! More and more members should speak up about just what you're saying ...it should've been done a long time ago!

Your idea of 6 months payment plan for a life membership is pure gold too.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Starks View Post
                              We are currently working on automating such a mail-out system.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                                We are currently working on automating such a mail-out system.
                                iirc, it was working some years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X