Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Member Stats

Current CFC members = 2,074
    Our anniversary headcount is just a few weeks away, May 1.
    Last years headcount = 2,065
    We have 110 memberships expiring on April 1, so do the math.
    We get 2,074 - 110 = 1,964,
    we need 101 new members or renewal by May 1 to equal last year.

I have a better target in mind.

Headcount in 2006 = 2,127
    Then the membership cratered dropping to 1,763 in 2007.
    We have been fighting out way out of this hole for a decade now.

Let's beat that 2006 number. Target is 2,128 or better.

We need 164 new members or renewals by May 1.

Can we do it? Totally achievable! Let's do it. :)
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Friday, 24th March, 2017, 02:34 PM.

Re: CFC Member Stats

Do you have any membership breakdown by age group or average members age?

Comment

I am looking at the current "td list" via Excel. What is the difference between expiration dates of 31/12/2099 and 01/12/2099 (and the four that have 01/01/2099)? I'm assuming they are Life Members. There are also some with expiry dates in the 1950's and 1940's - what do they represent? How do you treat deceased members? There are also some with expiry dates in the 1980's that are current FQE members - shouldn't these be coordinated somehow?

Re: Quebec Life Members:

1) I don't think Renier Castellanos has lived in Canada for some years.
      2) Pascal Charbonneau has lived in NYC for some years.
      3) Graham Glen hasn't lived in QC for many years. Now in AB.

Others:

1) Smilja Vojosevic (ON) is deceased.
      2) Danny Kopec (US) is deceased.
      3) Peter Biyiasis (BC) should be FO.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        3) Graham Glen hasn't lived in QC for many years. Now in AB.

Graham Glen is in AB? Do you have any contact info for him?

Comment

Roger - I just did a Google search on "Graham Glen". It turns out that the Alberta one got his PhD at McMaster, but his real name is Glen Graham.
          However - Linkedin shows another McMaster graduate - but Graham Glen this time - in Cary, NC. I think this is him.

Here's another link for the Cary one: https://netin.co/open/VnBmaTM3aExyNH...5a58bf2c341dc4

I also found an email address for him : his first name dot his last name at icfi dot com. (ICF is the company he's working for).

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            Roger - I just did a Google search on "Graham Glen". It turns out that the Alberta one got his PhD at McMaster, but his real name is Glen Graham.
            However - Linkedin shows another McMaster graduate - but Graham Glen this time - in Cary, NC. I think this is him.

Here's another link for the Cary one: https://netin.co/open/VnBmaTM3aExyNH...5a58bf2c341dc4

I also found an email address for him : his first name dot his last name at icfi dot com. (ICF is the company he's working for).
            Thank you. NC is the last location I had heard for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

I wish I could bet the under. The CFC is following an outdated business model.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                I wish I could bet the under. The CFC is following an outdated business model.
                Vision of dribs & drabs ... to the point where the Exec has come begging on ChessTalk ...sigh.

Where the Chess Federation of Canada has come to didn't just happen over night. The CFC has been kept in the gutter by those who post here year after year after year patting each other on the back!

Good job Bob, hey thanks Fred, well done Vlad, nice effort Kerry, etc., etc., etc.. On and on like some perverse enjoyment of being stuck in the middle of a surrealistic story by Franz Kafka.

Comment

nice effort Kerry, etc., etc., etc..
                  I do not accept the premise that the CFC has been in the gutter but if it has I am pretty sure that Kerry Liles has not been responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                    Vision of dribs & drabs ... to the point where the Exec has come begging on ChessTalk ...sigh.
                    For the sake of newcomers, a small point of clarification: Bob Gillanders (the CFC Executive Director) is not part of the CFC Exec. He's an employee. Also, Kerry Liles didn't serve long as a CFC Governor, I seem to recall. Myself, I stopped running for governance after all my ideas had been tried or (mostly) uncommented upon. Before I stopped, I left a long list of them on the Governor's private forum, for anyone who wishes to look at them, or reproduce them here or on the CFC public board. Since those days, CFC Membership has creeped up a little, at least, for those who like to see the glass as half full.
                    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Tuesday, 28th March, 2017, 07:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
                    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

It seems to me that the advent of the internet age is more responsible for the situation of the CFC over the last 20 years than anything else. I do not believe that a tremendous amount of responsibility lies with the volunteers who have stepped forward because they love the game. Sure, sometimes mistakes are made. But it is not easy to take on the responsibilities of a sinking ship and try to keep it afloat. Anyone who has tried deserves credit for the attempt more than they do criticism for not being able to perform miracles.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                        I do not accept the premise that the CFC has been in the gutter but if it has I am pretty sure that Kerry Liles has not been responsible.
                        Thanks for that Vlad... oops, there I go again, patting the CFC Exec on the back - lol

Other posters in this thread are correct: I was not a CFC Governor for very long and I have never been on the CFC Executive.
                        I was Treasurer of the OCA for a short while... Chess is hard; chess politics is impossible.
                        Now I am (currently) a CFC member again, and will stick to simply complaining... :)
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

In 2012, the Long-term Planning Committee produced a plan for chess in Canada, including a projection (hope?) for 10,000 members in 10 years. "How realistic is a goal of 10,000 CFC members in ten years? It is quite realistic and merely requires some active and strategic intervention by the volunteers already working to expand the popularity of chess."

We are about halfway thru that 10-year plan - how are we doing? http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...oto=nextoldest

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                            It seems to me that the advent of the internet age is more responsible for the situation of the CFC over the last 20 years than anything else. I do not believe that a tremendous amount of responsibility lies with the volunteers who have stepped forward because they love the game. Sure, sometimes mistakes are made. But it is not easy to take on the responsibilities of a sinking ship and try to keep it afloat. Anyone who has tried deserves credit for the attempt more than they do criticism for not being able to perform miracles.
                            It's my feeling that over-the-board chess events or clubs are going to become more popular again, slowly, if only because IMHO it's harder to sense that someone is using computer-assisted cheating over the internet than when physically in the same room as their opponent. Also, the fact that we have a handsome young world champion in Magnus Carlsen cannot hurt chess' overall popularity either.

At the RA Chess Club in Ottawa, club membership never seemed to decline as the CFC's membership dipped down some years ago. The RA club now has more junior players than ever before, I'd note, though perhaps older players make up less of the membership. The initiating of the RA club's policy to admit more talented very young players is, IMHO, perhaps NJF's greatest legacy as a chess agitator and organizer, if the future holds nothing else in store.
                            Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                            Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

I looked at the Aurora Spring Open file -- ~ 10 new or renewals might happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X