Chess Canada News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Canada News

The first issue for 2017 is now available. It really is quite remarkable. Deep analysis by players (and in some cases coaches) and the indefatigable editor of a large number of games by Canadians in recent event ranging from the WYCC to the Battle of Alberta.
    When it was decided to switch to this format, the hope was to come up with something original that focused on Canadian chess. That is exactly what John Upper has succeeded in doing. CCN does not try to be more current than ChessBase News nor does it try to compete with, say, New in Chess in articles by and about the great international players. Instead, it provides an in depth record of Canadian chess and the accomplishments of Canadian chess players in a timely and deep compendium.
    High marks and warm congratulations.

Re: Chess Canada News

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
    The first issue for 2017 is now available. It really is quite remarkable. Deep analysis by players (and in some cases coaches) and the indefatigable editor of a large number of games by Canadians in recent event ranging from the WYCC to the Battle of Alberta.
    When it was decided to switch to this format, the hope was to come up with something original that focused on Canadian chess. That is exactly what John Upper has succeeded in doing. CCN does not try to be more current than ChessBase News nor does it try to compete with, say, New in Chess in articles by and about the great international players. Instead, it provides an in depth record of Canadian chess and the accomplishments of Canadian chess players in a timely and deep compendium.
    Yeah, everything so relative especially with "recent" and "timely". I thought there was a typo in the "2015 WYCC HoD Report" title LOL

Comment

Are the emails being sent out with a link? If so, I may have missed it or it hasn't cycled through to my name yet...
      I see no mention of it on the CFC website...
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        Are the emails being sent out with a link?
        Yup. Dated March 26.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          Are the emails being sent out with a link? If so, I may have missed it or it hasn't cycled through to my name yet...
          I see no mention of it on the CFC website...
          The emails with links are being sent out. The first batch was sent yesterday, it takes a few days as there are limits on volume.
          Also, kinda builds some suspense, no?

I agree with Gordon, Chess Canada News is a quality publication. Thanks John.
          More frequent (and smaller) would be even better.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
            The emails with links are being sent out. The first batch was sent yesterday, it takes a few days as there are limits on volume.

Still haven't received an email... the CFC should consider using an email service like MailChimp
            (although I find their website horrendous, their service is apparently quite good).
            Relying on gmail or ISP's email can be problematic.

Comment

WOW!!! - A very impressive issue indeed. Obviously a lot of work went into this issue. It also helps that Canada did so well in the Olympiad, but congratulations to all involved. This was more like a book than a magazine. My New In Chess magazine is typically just over 100 pages, whereas this issue is close to 140 pages. The subscription rate to New In Chess is a lot of money! It is going to take a couple of weeks to read all of it. I love all the colour pictures, the great analysis, the problem solving, the interviews. Great job John Upper!!! My Chess Life magazine is about 72 pages, about half of which are ads and no where near the annotations of our Canadian Magazine - Chess Canada News.

This may be the best issue of a Canadian chess magazine I have ever seen. Congrats to all concerned, especially to the editor John Upper. We should all be proud.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
                WOW!!! - A very impressive issue indeed. Obviously a lot of work went into this issue. It also helps that Canada did so well in the Olympiad
                You are looking at the Olympic issue. The latest is Ketchup :)

Comment

Ooops, thanks. The Olympic issue was spectacular. I will have to read Ketchup. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

Still no email that I have received... :(

(April 17, 2017)

Comment

Chess Canada News

April 17, 2017

Nor I

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                        Chess Canada News

April 17, 2017

Nor I
                        FYI: received an email from CFC office with link to pdf etc. The claim was the wrong email address was on my file...
                        would be nice if members could manage their own profile etc. but that is way beyond the capabilities of the website at this time.

Comment

Working...
                        X