Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study on performance enhancers targets caffeine

http://www.europeanneuropsychopharma...019-6/abstract

There are some issues with the study which threw out losses on time by the participants because the resulting improvements in performance were not statistically significant with the losses factored in.

I just spoke with a Toronto Star reporter who might be doing a story on this topic.
    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 28th March, 2017, 04:44 PM.

Re: Study on chess performance enhancers targets caffeine

I didn't put it in those terms but I think you will have to pry the coffee cup out of my cold dead hands. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 28th March, 2017, 04:45 PM.

Comment

I recall reading books which suggested that testosterone and nicotine could be implicated as performance enhancing drugs in chess. Both can have some serious negative consequences (various different cancers being one).
      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 28th March, 2017, 04:45 PM.

Comment

The issue of performance enhancing drugs is difficult. It seems to me that there are two categories that need to be considered. First, the drugs like steroids that are taken well in advance and enhance future performance, and second the drugs like coffee, tobacco, marijuana, booze and the like that will make no difference if you did them yesterday, but could well make a difference if you do them immediately before, or even during, the game.

Lots of athletes have been caught smoking marijuana, for example, but they say it does not enhance performance. Again, this is almost certainly true if you smoked a joint yesterday, but it absolutely not true if you smoked a joint two minutes before your competition.

As far as chess goes, I suspect that only the drugs you use immediately before, or during play are relevant.

Coffee, tobacco and alcohol are legal, and marijuana will soon be legal as well. There is nothing that can be done if these drugs help some people play better chess.

Comment

Working...
        X