Canadian Chess Champion Trophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Chess Champion Trophy

Does anyone know where the Canadian Chess Champion trophy is today?

http://www.societyofchessaficionados...CCC_trophy.jpg
    Image comes from David Cohen's canadianchess.info

There's a large format photo of it over at the National Archives, it's really quite something! Besides the usual references to chess like the board and knight, it has several amazing references to Canada. Maple leaves around the lip, tree branches for handles with beavers at the top of each handle!

I think it is one of best trophies of all time!

The British Championship trophy is also quite good:
    http://en.chessbase.com/Portals/4/fi...hchrd07-04.jpg

j'adoube

Re: Canadian Chess Champion Trophy

See this post: http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...=CYCC+trophies

Is this what you are looking for?

JC

Comment

This one at the FQE office is for the Canadian Open (not the Canadian Chess Championship (or Closed)). It has not been updated with new plaques (or even exposed at a Canadian Open) since 1981.

http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/pictur...625_122711.jpg
      Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Monday, 10th April, 2017, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        This one at the FQE office is for the Canadian Open (not the Canadian Chess Championship (or Closed)). It has not been updated with new plaques (or even exposed at a Canadian Open) since 1981.

This thread is starting to make me think about the commercials for the Stanley Cup where the guy with the white gloves is shown chaperoning the Cup everywhere... (Phil someone?)

Maybe the CFC can employ Neil and give him the white gloves...

ah yes, Phil Pritchard...

see: https://www.hhof.com/htmlSTCjournal/exSCJ08_39.shtml
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          This thread is starting to make me think about the commercials for the Stanley Cup where the guy with the white gloves is shown chaperoning the Cup everywhere... (Phil someone?)

Maybe the CFC can employ Neil and give him the white gloves...

ah yes, Phil Pritchard...

see: https://www.hhof.com/htmlSTCjournal/exSCJ08_39.shtml
          You can't afford the fee Kerry.

You, Drkulec and your other fellow ass kissing K. Ilyumzhinov supporters should offer Kirsan the job ...you guys owe him that much ...doncha!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
            You can't afford the fee Kerry.

You, Drkulec and your other fellow ass kissing K. Ilyumzhinov supporters should offer Kirsan the job ...you guys owe him that much ...doncha!
            You really don't have a clue do you? (As my Newfie friends would remark, "You don't have a click - and there are a thousand clicks in a clue".)
            I refer to the FIDE pseudo-President as ILLUSIONof for a reason and have always thought he and FIDE were a joke. I was completely opposed to "re-electing" IllusionOf the last time around - although I remain unconvinced that Kasparov was a good choice... The choices were limited (much like Trump versus Clinton) but as in that case, I would have opted for the lesser evil: anyone but IllusionOf/Trump

Anyway, keep playing with graphics programs Neil, it is bound to pay off sooner or later.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Anyway, keep playing with graphics programs Neil, it is bound to pay off sooner or later.
              Kerry, stop ...seriously, just stop.

Your advice is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

Hugh. I may have missed your post from 2015, but you can be sure we will be in touch with the FQE about the Canadian Open trophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                  Hugh. I may have missed your post from 2015, but you can be sure we will be in touch with the FQE about the Canadian Open trophy.
                  Thanks so much Fred!!!

After a complete restoration it will awesome!

It's time we build our brand...

Comment

Hi Fred,

The CMA has the CFC Trophy from the Canadian Junior...can you pick that one up also please :)

Thanks!

Larry

Comment

Perfect, trophies are coming home!

Comment

Newbie question here, but when one speaks of trophies coming home to the Chess Federation of Canada, where exactly is "home"? Does the CFC maintain an office, and if so, is it at the Guelph address listed in the original letters patent or elsewhere or is there a physical presence beyond a post office box in Burlington?

Comment

Where is the Trophy for the Canadian Closed?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                            There's a large format photo of it over at the National Archives, it's really quite something! Besides the usual references to chess like the board and knight, it has several amazing references to Canada. Maple leaves around the lip, tree branches for handles with beavers at the top of each handle!

I think it is one of best trophies of all time!
                            Lord Stanley donated a bowl for the winner of some hockey competition back in the days and he would like to have a conversation with you about the best trophy of all time.

Comment

You really don't have a clue do you? (As my Newfie friends would remark, "You don't have a click - and there are a thousand clicks in a clue".)
                              I refer to the FIDE pseudo-President as ILLUSIONof for a reason and have always thought he and FIDE were a joke. I was completely opposed to "re-electing" IllusionOf the last time around - although I remain unconvinced that Kasparov was a good choice... The choices were limited (much like Trump versus Clinton) but as in that case, I would have opted for the lesser evil: anyone but IllusionOf/Trump

Kerry, Neil probably thinks you are joined at the hip with Drkulec because of that recent posting of Vlad's saying that whatever might be wrong with the CFC, it is not your fault, and you responded with a thank you to Vlad.

It is interesting that Neil talks about ass-kissing supporters of whomever, when Neil continued supporting Trump even after the revelations of Trump's sexual assaults against women. Neil obviously places having a sack of shit in the White House above the value of women's rights.

I love the subtlety of your last comment, Kerry! Neil thinks his graphics work has already paid off, as he has alluded here to making a "fortune" under a different name (which I found out, by the way). Well, I wonder where his fortune is tied up, because for over a year now, he hasn't been able to give his Society of Chess Aficionados web site any kind of a home page at all. "Coming Soon" -- how 1995!

I suppose this is what you might see from Neil should he become CFC Prez ..... a lot of "Coming Soon!" pronouncements. Perhaps he'll wait until Kevin Spraggett's CFC expose is finally posted!

And full disclosure -- I've made a "Coming Soon" pronouncement myself. But it's one thing to say that in a ChessTalk posting and then things take longer than you planned and before you know it a few years have gone by. It's a totally DIFFERENT thing what Neil Frarey is doing, having a public web site up for a couple of years that never changes, just keeps saying "Coming Soon" even as he tells people he has made a fortune and that he's going to put his money where his mouth is.

And his definition of that? Buying someone full course dinner 10 years from now if he loses a bet! :D How's that for the power of compound interest? :D

As the saying goes, Neil Frarey, either shit or get off the pot!
                              Last edited by Paul Bonham; Tuesday, 11th April, 2017, 12:52 AM.
                              Only the rushing is heard...
                              Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
                              X