UNWANTED WEBSITES OPENED WHEN I USE ChessTalk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNWANTED WEBSITES OPENED WHEN I USE ChessTalk

I have been getting unwanted websites opening in FireFox (ver. 53.0b10 [32 bit]) (in new windows so I don't always see them immediately) when I click on new messages or go back to the opening screen. Mostly about betting, but some have that "scary" don't close this window or <threat>. Of course, I ignore that, but, they are getting to be a PITA.

I have experimented with different websites I use and it definitely occurs when I use CT.

Anyone else?

Re: UNWANTED WEBSITES OPENED WHEN I USE ChessTalk

me too. A problem with CT, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
      I have been getting unwanted websites opening in FireFox (ver. 53.0b10 [32 bit]) (in new windows so I don't always see them immediately) when I click on new messages or go back to the opening screen. Mostly about betting, but some have that "scary" don't close this window or <threat>. Of course, I ignore that, but, they are getting to be a PITA.

I have experimented with different websites I use and it definitely occurs when I use CT.

Anyone else?
      Hi Ken:

I just started getting them a few days ago. But I am not sure where I caught this malware (If that is the right name)!?

I will now watch to see if it is associated with my logging into Ct.

Thanks for raising the issue......maybe between we plebs, and the Higher Authority, we can solve this problem together (What a novel idea!)

Bob A

Comment

Have you tried using FF's the ABP plug-in.

I've never had an issue with CT, so much so that I wondered why Larry didn't have a link to Strategy Games ... lol!

Comment

I am not having this problem...

Comment

I have problems on a phone. Though, thought that clicked on wrong links. But it's only when opening this site.

Comment

I haven't experienced any issues though I tend to use chrome to surf for the most part and firefox only sporadically. I tend to do a very deep scan for malware when such symptoms crop up using free tools like superantispyware and malwarebytes.

Comment

Larry, try IE.
                Click F12 button (opens Developer Tools) and see the code.

You should see something like that:

HTML Code:
                <iframe src="//onclkds....." style="display: none;"></iframe>
                .... is deleted text by me, what creates problems.

Firefox somehow ignores that, and the code looks clean.

Comment

Unwanted Websites Opened When I Use ChessTalk

April 12, 2017

Yesterday morning I had difficulty getting in to ChessTalk. After that I kept getting a message every time I was onsite saying that Adobe Flash Player was out of date.

I use Safari with a Mac and have had little trouble with adware and malware up to now, but I was upset enough to download a good security program to clean things up. I didn’t want to get infected nor did I want to attach anything to CT myself. Kaspersky Internet Security says that there is dangerous malware attached to the site.

Today I got four different URLs come up before Kaspersky slammed the door on them.

Larry, perhaps your website people should have a look. Odd that some members are not having any problems at all.

NOTE: While I was typing this in, the "install a new copy of Adobe Flash Player" box came up twice more!

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                    I am not having this problem...
                    Hi Larry:

There's definitely a problem. Firefox seems to be much, much more susceptible but Chrome produces frequent new tabs/windows whenever you click on something.

Steve

Comment

I'm getting the "unwanted websites" as well - both with Firefox, and on my (Samsung) phone.

Comment

I have forwarded this info to those who know these things...will post an update as soon as I here...sorry about this :(

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                          NOTE: While I was typing this in, the "install a new copy of Adobe Flash Player" box came up twice more!
                          Don't install anything if it appears like that!!!

If you need adobe player, go and search on Adobe's website.

Comment

It just started happening to me. Time for a scan for spyware.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post

Anyone else?
                              I don't get it (and using FireFox) so probably there is a setting somewhere you can kill this (although larry should definately investigate). Not sure which of my settings would be relevant :-) Don't allow popups maybe?

Comment

Working...
                              X