Society of Chess Aficionados inks IM Tom O'Donnell as Lead Instructor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Society of Chess Aficionados inks IM Tom O'Donnell as Lead Instructor!

As long as Neil does not resell the manual or edit it to remove the CFC logo and titles it is not likely that we (under the current executive) will try to enforce our copyright against him. We encourage that the manual be widely distributed in order to help our mandate that chess be studied widely. It is clear that the manual comes from the CFC if the person downloading it looks at the PDF at all. He is encouraging people to study chess and using our manual which can only go to our benefit. I have been told that FIDE uses our manual in some FIDE chess in the schools programs. It is a pretty good manual for beginners.

If we still have the original manuscript we should probably edit out the equipment advertising and perhaps update it with Strategy and Games ads.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
      One difference being that the Albert page http://www.albertachess.org/Instruction.html describes the link as CFC Teaching Manual.
      Is it any surprise that Neil reaps what he did not sow?

Comment

It's no surprise the Chess Federation of Canada has lost sight of this most valuable tool ...no surprise at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
          It's no surprise the Chess Federation of Canada has lost sight of this most valuable tool ...no surprise at all.
          Hardly, I use it all the time and recommend its use all the time. Claiming it as your own simply reinforces your eccentricity. Chess players are clever they will figure it out when you try to claim someone else's work as your own.
          Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 26th April, 2017, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
            Hardly, I use it all the time and recommend its use all the time. Claiming it as your own simply reinforces your eccentricity. Chess players are clever they will figure it out when you try to claim someone else's work as your own.

Sorry, I don't believe you. Anyone in your position would have done something, anything, to polish it up! If only you knew the true value of such an asset, and the respect it deserves.

Instead what do we see?

We see the exact same thing as with our national trophies, etc., etc..

Fail harder Drkulec, just like friend Kirsan.

Comment

I really don't care if you believe me. The teachers who I gave the link to at the Windsor Chess Challenge appeared to appreciate it.

As for the trophies they went awol in the early 1980s and 1960s which is a bit before my time as a chess politician.

As for failing, I'm sure I had the opportunity for an even more spectacular failure than your attempt to organize the CO/CYCC which had to be removed from your over reaching hands but somehow we managed to muddle our way through last year.

Comment

I doubt very much you care about chess in Canada, nor the communities where we can flourish.

You're of the glory elitist kind.

Hence all your moves ... including your passionate support of Kirsan Ilyumzhinov! Leaving everything else to languish.

Those elements of our national place of pride easily located with only a few simple posts in a thread started me! That's all it took!

So remind us again, where was your concern all these years???

Fail harder Drkulec!

Comment

As for the trophies they went awol in the early 1980s and 1960s which is a bit before my time as a chess politician.
                  What happened to the trophy for the Canadian Closed. I know it was in Ottawa at the CFC office in 1995.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                    What happened to the trophy for the Canadian Closed. I know it was in Ottawa at the CFC office in 1995.
                    I'm not sure. I believe that some things went into a storage locker in Ottawa for a while which was then cleared out around 2011 or 2012 with some items being stored by the ED for a while. I am not sure if the Canadian Closed trophy made it into this group of items or disappeared between 1995 and 2011. I am sure some emails will be sent around about this this evening.

Comment

LOL.

What have you exactly done in the last forty years to help chess flourish in Canada? I haven't heard anything beyond the fact that you are a lonely guy who is a bit spiteful when told to run along because the adults in the CFC office have to get some work done.

Maybe you can play a few rated games this decade.

Comment

I'm not sure. I believe that some things went into a storage locker in Ottawa for a while which was then cleared out around 2011 or 2012 with some items being stored by the ED for a while. I am not sure if the Canadian Closed trophy made it into this group of items or disappeared between 1995 and 2011. I am sure some emails will be sent around about this this evening.
                        If you mean the Les Bunning trophy, I took to Montreal for the Zonal in 2012 -- you can see pix of it being presented to Bator -- then took it to Ottawa. AFAIR, I gave it back to Les -- though I might have taken it on to Bob in Burlington later that summer.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                          If you mean the Les Bunning trophy, I took to Montreal for the Zonal in 2012 -- you can see pix of it being presented to Bator -- then took it to Ottawa. AFAIR, I gave it back to Les -- though I might have taken it on to Bob in Burlington later that summer.
                          I don't have it.

Comment

This should put some hope in Neil Frarey's affair:

Chess fan creates online way to learn and improve your moves

A CHESS fan has turned his love of the sport into a start-up which has attracted £96,000 of funding.

David Kramaley co-founded Chessable last year to create a less difficult way for new players to learn the tips, tricks and techniques used by the pros.

Mr Kramaley only started learning chess in 2013 and found it a challenge. etc
                            http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/n..._100k_funding/

Last year John and I took the decision to fundraise to accelerate the growth and development of Chessable. A whole year and two crowdfunding campaigns later, I am very happy to announce that we have finally done it! We’ve raised nearly £100,000 from private investors. These funds will immediately be put to good use, supporting our mission of making Chessable the go-to source for chess improvement and education.
                            https://www.chessable.com/blog/

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                              This should put some hope in Neil Frarey's affair:
                              Thanks EZ! Great story hope he realizes sustainable growth.

For the Society of Chess Aficionados money is not really an issue ...not at the moment anyways. What is an issue is what I would like to see SoCA accomplish. I'd like to see it establish and maintain a unique position of support for chess entities such as chess clubs, chess orgs, etc., and support for the stand alone chess events and tournaments too ... and of course the outright unapologetic brazen promotion of our game.

So hey, I want to share some freshness:

A first look see at a fresh new chess visual vocabulary ... action and intent symbols. Chess moves as indicated by the different symbols shown upon the squares for each move of a chess piece's path. The path of the chess piece is indicated by a line which joins one move/squares to another. In the link graphic is the path typically seen in the opening moves by white's light squared bishop in the Ruy Lopez. From here I'll develop a symbol's chart which will define each symbol, I've done & re-re-done about 20 or so now.

Why am I exploring this form of supplemental visual communication? Because it's awsum in a very techy sort of way! Great sutt for GUIs, FUIs, and HUDs too! And for practical reasons too (meh), we need background graphics on our website.

http://www.societyofchessaficionados...ation-b-rl.jpg

Thoughts?
                              Last edited by Neil Frarey; Tuesday, 2nd May, 2017, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Forum > dev all this week. Currently putting bbPress through some reskinning ... not all that impressed.
                                Last edited by Neil Frarey; Wednesday, 14th June, 2017, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X