FIDE and CFC ratings for Olympiad-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FIDE and CFC ratings for Olympiad-2018

It's a big challenge for Canada to put on the sophisticated tournaments that we find in Europe. Even the USCF lacks this level of play, tending more towards the mega 6-8 round events such as the World Open and Las Vegas. I just would like to see our GMs put in an appearance occasionally at the more modest Canadian events in order to promote the game among the rank and file. The Canadian Open, Montreal Open, Varennes and Grand Pacific Open to name a few although admittedly the latter involves significant travel.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
      It's a big challenge for Canada to put on the sophisticated tournaments that we find in Europe. Even the USCF lacks this level of play, tending more towards the mega 6-8 round events such as the World Open and Las Vegas. I just would like to see our GMs put in an appearance occasionally at the more modest Canadian events in order to promote the game among the rank and file. The Canadian Open, Montreal Open, Varennes and Grand Pacific Open to name a few although admittedly the latter involves significant travel.
      First of all there are different ways to promote chess in Canada. However, suggesting that players should hurt their chess to be more eligible for Olympiad representation is ironic to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
        In an ideal situation I'd love to play more in Canada. As it stands it doesn't make sense for me chess-wise or economically so I try to give back to the game in other ways.

Comment

From what I know, the primary way organizers around the world attract IMs and GMs is by offering them conditions that cover their expenses (and perhaps a bit more) and provide them the chance to more than break even by having a decent prize fund. This not only gets strong players to organizers' tournaments, but provides needed support for people who are trying to make a go at being a chess professional - something which is not the best paying job in the world.

Perhaps the right question organizers should be asking is how to support our nation's professional chess players, rather than how could they support us? Asking people who do not earn much to subsidize the efforts of people who organize tournaments and those that enjoy chess as a hobby is not really fair in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Gedajlovic View Post
            From what I know, the primary way organizers around the world attract IMs and GMs is by offering them conditions that cover their expenses (and perhaps a bit more) and provide them the chance to more than break even by having a decent prize fund. This not only gets strong players to organizers' tournaments, but provides needed support for people who are trying to make a go at being a chess professional - something which is not the best paying job in the world.

Perhaps the right question organizers should be asking is how to support our nation's professional chess players, rather than how could they support us? Asking people who do not earn much to subsidize the efforts of people who organize tournaments and those that enjoy chess as a hobby is not really fair in my opinion.
            Spot on !!! It is just not feasible for a full time professional chess player to be able to live off the prize money in chess tournaments in Canada. Sad but the truth....He has to also teach ( at least half of his time ) students to live a decent life....

It's a known fact and organizers are not doing much as well as most of organizers are doing the tournaments on a part time basis as well. To get sponsors means spending time to talk to potential sponsors and most organizers just don't have the time or don't be bothered...

So that's why our GM Eric and GM Anton and IM Aman spend most of their time abroad.....not an easy route and very commendable to me.

It doesn't make sense to select players based on the players playing more often in Canada as one of the criteria....No way...

We have to select the BEST players and who knows the next Olympiad Canada may create UPSET wins and be at the podium. Then hopefully there will be boom in Canada for Chess.

Comment

It's important that players in shape go, not inactive ones who take a while to warm up. Looking at FIDE games we can see players who are active internationally such as Hambleton and Thavandiran. Should their games with foreign GMs count more than the local swisses?

CFC games played in the past year/
              FIDE rated games since the Olympia Oct. 2016
              2666 Bareev 0/ 0
              2643 Kovalyev 0/ 10
              2614 Hansen 0/ 15
              2539 Sambuev 66/ 33
              2534 Spraggett 0/ 21
              2525 Lesiege 16/ 27
              2496 Preotu 18/ 5
              2473 Noritsyn 11/ 11
              2471 Hambleton 0/ 58
              2463 Roussel-Roozman 18/ 10
              2453 Dimitri Tyomkin 0/ 6
              2445 Tomas Krnan 5/ 14
              2423 Michael Song 21/ 26
              2400 Raja Panjwani 0/ 0
              2395 Bindi Cheng 5/ 5
              2393 Zong Yang Yu 19/ 19
              2383 Edward Porper 0/ 11
              2369 Jean Hebert 0/ 0
              2363 Shiyam Thavandiran 0/ 46

Comment

Jean Hébert played in the World Seniors Team championships (50+) in Germany in June-July 2016 (8 FIDE-rated games). He also played in several FQE events. Under the CFC-FQE agreement, shouldn't games rated/played under one system count as being rated (or just being "played") under the other system?

Comment

I would think so, Hugh. Although, I believe the FQE may be in financial arrears in that agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                    Jean Hébert played in the World Seniors Team championships (50+) in Germany in June-July 2016 (8 FIDE-rated games). He also played in several FQE events. Under the CFC-FQE agreement, shouldn't games rated/played under one system count as being rated (or just being "played") under the other system?
                    Hi Hugh:

As we found out from a recent Montreal tournament, FQE tournaments (Or certain sections) may be advertised as NOT CFC-rated. In such a case, I had to make a special application to CFC to get the games rated under CFC (They had only been FQE-rated). I believe that CFC used the by-law whereby a Canadian playing in a foreign country can apply to have his/her games CFC-rated, and there is an admin. fee charged by CFC. In my case, the admin. fee was waived (But I don't think it was on the basis that in Montreal I had played a "Canadian" game) - I don't know what happens the next time a ROC player who has played in an FQE tournament, applies to CFC to have it CFC-rated. Will they have to pay the admin. fee, even though the game was played in Canada (At least for the moment anyway)?

So, like Hugh, I'm interested in whether CFC will treat Jean Hebert's FQE tournament games, as under the "foreign" game category, for all its purposes (Olympiad Team activity; getting his FQE games CFC-rated; etc.)?

Bob A

Comment

This "game count" for Quebec players doesn't just affect Jean Hébert -juniors such as Zong Yang Yu and Olivier-Kenta Chiku-Ratte have played dozens of FQE-rated games in the last year, while maintaining 2400+ ratings in both systems. The only times a Quebec event is CFC-rated is when it is advertised as being FIDE-rated.

The only upcoming Quebec tournaments on the FIDE schedule are the Quebec Open and the Festival International St-Denis, so they will be automatically CFC-rated. (by the way - where is the Canadian Open? Will it not be FIDE-rated this year?)

Upcoming Canadian FIDE-rated events registered with FIDE:
                      https://ratings.fide.com/tournament_...de&country=CAN

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                        (by the way - where is the Canadian Open? Will it not be FIDE-rated this year?)
                        Hi Hugh:

Here is the URL for the CO 2017 website: http://www.ssmchess.ca/en/open.html

Bob A

Comment

Here is the list of top-10 active Canadian players for Olympiad-2018 (National Team).

1. GM B.Sambuev - the champion.
                          2. GM E.Bareev 2666 - 10 = 2656 (0 games)
                          3. GM A.Kovalyov 2641 - 10 = 2631 (11 games)
                          4. GM E.Hansen 2614 (0 games)
                          5. GM K.Spraggett 2530 - 10 = 2520 (7 games)
                          6. IM N.Noritsyn 2494 + 20 = 2514 (9 games)
                          7. GM A.LeSiege 2517 - 10 = 2507 (5 games)
                          8. GM R. Preotu 2501 (14 games)
                          9. IM A.Hambleton 2461 (20+ games)
                          10. GM T.Roussel-Roozmon 2463 - 10 = 2453 (0 games)
                          Last edited by Victor Plotkin; Wednesday, 2nd August, 2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Victor wrote:

Here is the list of top-10 active Canadian players for Olympiad-2018 (National Team).
                            What time period does this cover? What is the starting date?

Comment

I wrote it in my first post of this thread. The 12 month period is Apr 1, 2017 - Apr 1, 2018. The final list is Apr 1, 2018, unless FIDE changes the frequency.

"Active" means according to FIDE rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
                                I wrote it in my first post of this thread. The 12 month period is Apr 1, 2017 - Apr 1, 2018. The final list is Apr 1, 2018, unless FIDE changes the frequency.

"Active" means according to FIDE rules.
                                I could look this up, but is the minimum game requirement in the 12 month period, 10 ?

Comment

Working...
                                X