Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Canadian Closed - Montreal

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
    CFC Annual Financial statements are viewable at the CFC Website. It is pretty easy to see what our bottom line is.

In any case we are providing complete air fare for the winner to attend the 2017 World Cup in Georgia as well as $1000 for airfare to the 2018 Continental Championship in Uruguay.
    As there are no regular newsletters - slice from that. It was suppose to be 12 issues per year for 15,000 - ~ 1k/issue. How many actually was released over two years? 5-6? 30k - ~10k = 20k should be in the bank. That's simple math, you are free to correct or make excuses. Though, the CFC should not beg for bids but try to make that there are more bids it can process :)

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
      I remember in 1984? Canadian Closed in Ottawa when Jean Hebert took a train from Montreal to announce he was withdrawing to protest the conditions. Sadly 33 years later, I think things have got worse not better. Back then, although only 16 participants, I seem to remember some sort of meal allowance for the players and the entry fee was very low. Sadly, there are not many bids for the Canadian Championship, and the conditions seem to get worse every year. Now the players who don't play also get penalised for Olympic team selection. I am not sure of the solution, but Jean Hebert should be thanked by the top players since he always tried to make the conditions better.
      The expense of putting on the Canadian Closed is likely a factor in making it more difficult to find organizers. In the last few years its been Hal Bond or the FQE as organizers.

Comment

You used to be able to get an IM tittle by getting 2/3 score in the closed, which was a big attraction for a lot of players.. Now you have to win the tournament. Also, since the number of entrants is limited, it is harder for the organiser to raise money through entry fees. It is a shame, since this is a zonal tournament. FIDE for years was trying to eliminate this as a zonal tournament, but only through the lobbying of John Prentice and Phil Haley, did we manage to keep it a zonal. Not sure in recent years if this has been an area of concern. I don't have any good ideas to improve the situation, but perhaps it should be brought up in the next Governor's letter or whatever that is called nowadays.

Comment

Hi Ian,

Over the years I have come to agree with Jean Hébert also.

The Chess'n Math Association, bid for the 2013 Canadian Junior to celebrate our 20 years in Toronto. Francis Rodrigues, our Regional Director put on a great event...at least as good as it use to be in the old days...actually better than the event I organized back in the late 70`s :).

This is the way (in my opinion today...but I was not in that place decades ago) a championship should be organized...the CFC has taken on the FIDE model of...get the most bucks you can from the wanabees...and honestly...it has worked extremely well for FIDE and the CFC.

Today in chess...as in many other areas..more than ever...tis not what you know but whether you have the money...sad but true.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            As there are no regular newsletters - slice from that. It was suppose to be 12 issues per year for 15,000 - ~ 1k/issue. How many actually was released over two years? 5-6? 30k - ~10k = 20k should be in the bank. That's simple math, you are free to correct or make excuses. Though, the CFC should not beg for bids but try to make that there are more bids it can process :)
            There has to be a balance between what we put into expenses that benefit all members and those that benefit the elite. I think we would be criticized even more if we put 5000 into the Closed because there were fewer issues of the magazine.

Comment

There has to be a balance between what we put into expenses that benefit all members and those that benefit the elite. I think we would be criticized even more if we put 5000 into the Closed because there were fewer issues of the magazine.
              Instead of criticism, what you might get is many of those Junior players we have not giving the game up when they reach 20 as they might see a reason to keep playing. You also might not get criticized for the current state of adult championship chess in the country, like you have over the last few years.

Comment

This Championship is open to both Men and Women.

This message was brought to you by your Women Coordinator just in case some WGM, WIM, WFM or other strong women were not aware that they can play.

Comment

I remember in 1984? Canadian Closed in Ottawa when Jean Hebert took a train from Montreal to announce he was withdrawing to protest the conditions. Sadly 33 years later, I think things have got worse not better. Back then, although only 16 participants, I seem to remember some sort of meal allowance for the players and the entry fee was very low. Sadly, there are not many bids for the Canadian Championship, and the conditions seem to get worse every year. Now the players who don't play also get penalised for Olympic team selection. I am not sure of the solution, but Jean Hebert should be thanked by the top players since he always tried to make the conditions better.
                  Could not disagree more. When a sponsor puts up money to help make a tournament happen, and the response is "This tournament is so bad I am refusing to play", what do you think the sponsor's answer is? Hint: it's not "boy I can't wait to renew that sponsorship". Any time I have ever considered trying to get involved in the CFC or tournament organization, people like Jean Hebert are a primary reason I choose to do something else with my time.

Comment

The 1984 Canadian Closed tournament did not have any sponsors that I can recall, and I know sponsors do not grow on trees, but maybe this was part of the problem. You could argue that it would make it hard to find organisers, but at least it should be a wake up call the the governing body (the CFC), that perhaps change was needed. I understand that the CFC has limited funds, but at the same time is it fair to ask our best players, who try to make a living at the game to play 15 games to try to win their national championship, over 2 weeks, where they will most likely lose money. The idea of making it a less restricted Swiss means that more funding is available through entry fees, and also the tournament no longer takes 2 weeks, so I think this was good from a financial viewpoint, although probably not the ideal way to decide a national championship. In the US, they were very lucky to find a rich sponsor and the US championship is a dream tournament now.

In 1984, my opinion was more the opinion that David has now, but now, looking back, who is looking out for the players? I guess the answer is nobody and if you are an elite grandmaster, then I guess the message is, too bad, you cannot make a living here, go move to Portugal or the US. This seems a defeatist attitude and Mr. Hebert, tried to make conditions better and he never moved away from Canada. Mr. Hebert contributed a great deal to Canadian chess and perhaps he should be a hero, not a villain?

Comment

The 1984 Canadian Closed tournament did not have any sponsors that I can recall, and I know sponsors do not grow on trees, but maybe this was part of the problem. You could argue that it would make it hard to find organisers, but at least it should be a wake up call the the governing body (the CFC), that perhaps change was needed. I understand that the CFC has limited funds, but at the same time is it fair to ask our best players, who try to make a living at the game to play 15 games to try to win their national championship, over 2 weeks, where they will most likely lose money. The idea of making it a less restricted Swiss means that more funding is available through entry fees, and also the tournament no longer takes 2 weeks, so I think this was good from a financial viewpoint, although probably not the ideal way to decide a national championship. In the US, they were very lucky to find a rich sponsor and the US championship is a dream tournament now.

In 1984, my opinion was more the opinion that David has now, but now, looking back, who is looking out for the players? I guess the answer is nobody and if you are an elite grandmaster, then I guess the message is, too bad, you cannot make a living here, go move to Portugal or the US. This seems a defeatist attitude and Mr. Hebert, tried to make conditions better and he never moved away from Canada. Mr. Hebert contributed a great deal to Canadian chess and perhaps he should be a hero, not a villain?
                      I agree with your comments regarding Jean, Ian.

And as much as I rail against the CFC's intense focus on the elite top 5% of memberships, with 95% of the CFC revenue coming from U2200, I do feel that our national championship events should strive for a prestigious quality. NOT quantity ... but rather quality.

Canadian Closed is the best of the best and should be treated as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Réjean Tremblay View Post
                        For Mr Preotu: in french on Quebecechecs.com, Louis Morin from FQE said that the dates in june were the only one with a room avalaible in Olympic stadium.
                        I'm assuming the dates CANNOT be changed because the only room available in Montreal is at the Olympic Stadium. They do have 5 GMs from Quebec-Montreal area (Kovalyov, Hansen, Sambuev, Lesiege and Roussel-Roozmon) and probably don't need another one from Ontario.

It is my understanding that GM's will have their Entry Fee waived if they agree to annotate 2 games.

When the CFC approved the new constitution, the CFC Handbook ceased being law. As we are trying to rewrite the most pertinent pieces, it is being used as a guideline.
                        So, if the organizers don't have to offer any conditions to GMs, they will only have to pay $3500 in guaranteed prizes (the 3th and 4th prizes are based on entries) . This won't be too difficult with 30 paid entries @ $250 each considering that the previous Canadian Closed in Montreal had 36 players http://chess.ca/crosstable?tournamen...017&key=170515

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                          I'm assuming the dates CANNOT be changed because the only room available in Montreal is at the Olympic Stadium. They do have 5 GMs from Quebec-Montreal area (Kovalyov, Hansen, Sambuev, Lesiege and Roussel-Roozmon) and probably don't need another one from Ontario.
                          I don't think the bid would have come if they couldn't use Olympic Stadium. We requested something before the Canadian open. As I said, this event was already way past ideal in Feb or March. Certainly a timely bid from Toronto would have been welcomed.

So, if the organizers don't have to offer any conditions to GMs, they will only have to pay $3500 in guaranteed prizes (the 3th and 4th prizes are based on entries) . This won't be too difficult with 30 paid entries @ $250 each considering that the previous Canadian Closed in Montreal had 36 players http://chess.ca/crosstable?tournamen...017&key=170515
                          The original budget had the FQE donating $1000. They were not making anything. With 6 weeks notice, I told Richard to reduce his expectations.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rene Preotu;113348]I'm assuming the dates CANNOT be changed because the only room available in Montreal is at the Olympic Stadium. They do have 5 GMs from Quebec-Montreal area (Kovalyov, Hansen, Sambuev, Lesiege and Roussel-Roozmon) and probably don't need another one from Ontario.

As much as I love Razvan and I think he is the future of Canadian chess, why would a tournament organizer change their tournament dates to accommodate one player. If this player was Canadian's top player, Evgeny Bareev, I would understand. But we are talking about a teenager who has not even qualified for an olympiad before.

We all have commitments in life. If he can't make the tournament date, so be it, or maybe he can pass on his other commitment.

Comment

[QUOTE=Andy Shaw;113351]

As much as I love Razvan and I think he is the future of Canadian chess, why would a tournament organizer change their tournament dates to accommodate one player. If this player was Canadian's top player, Evgeny Bareev, I would understand. But we are talking about a teenager who has not even qualified for an olympiad before.

We all have commitments in life. If he can't make the tournament date, so be it, or maybe he can pass on his other commitment.
                              That seems all pretty easy for you to say (from afar) but I think the point is that Rene (on behalf of Razvan) was merely inquiring about the possibility to take into account other situations... clearly that doesn't seem to be in the cards. I am wondering what the registrations are so far?? Perhaps the event won't even take place at all! It would not surprise me all that much.

The reality is that the CFC is struggling to fund the small number of events that it usually sponsors (Can Open, Can Closed, CYCC, WYCC - the last two are funded rather differently from non-Junior events so they are not so much of a drain on the CFC as some other events). Sponsorship in general is extremely hard to come by and it always seems to be a surprise and/or a 'one off' event.

One has to wonder how longer the current state of affairs can continue. Without raising membership fees (the primary source of income) I have to think that the CFC is in big trouble...
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

A quick summary of the 1984 Closed - from issues of "En Passant" and my own memory. The tournament was to be a 16-player round-robin.

Jean Hébert wasn't the only one who withdrew (or didn't play in protest) because of tournament conditions - Igor Ivanov decided not to play as well. Both wrote letters to the CFC, and both received replies. This was around the time that the CFC disafilliated the FQE - possibly denying Quebec players the chance to play in any Closeds. The CFC suddenly found some extra money to put into the tournament after these two players announced they wouldn't play. In addition - Danny Kopec was allowed to play - even though he was not a Canadian citizen (he taught for a couple of years at McGill). 14 of the 16 players (all except Brian Hartman and Robert Morrison) signed a petition supporting Hébert. Robert Zuk withdrew after 7 games - dues to illness, I believe.

The event took place July 6-20, 1984 in Ottawa. In a letter dated July 11 (round 6 was played that day), Lawrence Day announced his withdrawl after a decision regarding draw offers in his round 5 against Kopec didn't go his way. Morrison persuaded him to continue.

There are several pages of correspondence in EP #69 (November 1984) and some preceding issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X