Chess Federation of Iran suspended from FIDE membership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Federation of Iran suspended from FIDE membership

I got this in email today or early in the morning hours.

Directory Elista FIDE Office

Reply|
    Today, 3:56 AM
    You;

Dear Sirs,

Kindly note that no Iranian registered players or arbiters can take part in any FIDE rated tournament until further notice.

Following the decision of the FIDE Presidential Board, the Iranian Chess Federation’s membership of FIDE has been suspended until full payment has been received by FIDE regarding the Women’s World Championship held in Teheran. Therefore no FIDE rated tournaments can be held in Iran, no titles will be given to Iranians and that no Iranian registered players will be allowed to play or be an arbiter in any FIDE rated tournaments. Tournaments that have already begun will not be affected.

Best regards,
    Elista FIDE Office

Re: Chess Federation of Iran suspended from FIDE membership

Hi,

Does this mean that, if a player under the Iranian flag registers to play in a FIDE-rated tournament in Canada, we deny them participation?
    Or does FIDE not rate the player's games, but we do at CFC level?

Alex F.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
      Hi,

Does this mean that, if a player under the Iranian flag registers to play in a FIDE-rated tournament in Canada, we deny them participation?
      Or does FIDE not rate the player's games, but we do at CFC level?

Alex F.
      The letter said "no Iranian registered players will be allowed to play or be an arbiter in any FIDE rated tournaments" so I would say the answer is to deny them entry to the tournament... But what does it mean to 'belong' to a specific Federation? Even though I live in Canada, could I claim to be stateless and play under the FIDE flag?
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        The letter said "no Iranian registered players will be allowed to play or be an arbiter in any FIDE rated tournaments" so I would say the answer is to deny them entry to the tournament... But what does it mean to 'belong' to a specific Federation? Even though I live in Canada, could I claim to be stateless and play under the FIDE flag?
        pity that Iranian girl who was banned from playing in Iran because she didn't wear a hijab in Gibralter (and her brother for playing an Israeli player). They now can neither play here nor there.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
          They now can neither play here nor there.
          Pun intended? :p

Comment

FIDE is known to have made exceptions for GM who are professional chess players and who were preregistered when the ban has been imposed. The Chief Arbiter should request the exception. I got exception more then once, but always for GM.
            Last edited by Pierre Denommee; Saturday, 13th May, 2017, 10:32 PM.

Comment

pity that Iranian girl who was banned from playing in Iran because she didn't wear a hijab in Gibralter (and her brother for playing an Israeli player). They now can neither play here nor there.
              Dorsa Derakhshani defeated 3 Canadians in Reykjavik this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre Denommee View Post
                FIDE is known to have made exceptions for GM who are professional chess players and who were preregistered when the ban has been imposed. The Chief Arbiter should request the exception. I got exception more then ounce, but always for GM.
                *once --- not --- *ounce.

*Gibraltar--- not --- *Gibralter.

Comment

June 6, 2017

From the FIDE website:

Sanctions regarding the Iranian Chess Federation have been lifted

The sanctions regarding the Iranian Chess Federation have been lifted with effect from today, 2nd June, 2017.

Iranian players and arbiters can participate in any tournament that starts on 2nd June, 2017 or later.

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...en-lifted.html

Comment

Iranian Cadet places 2nd in World Cadets Rapid and Blitz Ch

Iranian Cadet Bardiya Daneshvar came 2nd in the 2017 World Cadets Rapid & Blitz Chess Championships (the first) held recently in Minsk, Belarus from June 1-5. He scored 7.5/9, same as the winner, FM Murzin Volodar, but lost on tiebreak.

See Results from 2017 World Cadets Rapid and Blitz Chess Ch.

PressTV on Bardiya Daneshyar
                    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
                    X