Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE-rated Blitz in Montreal on holiday Monday, May 22

[ Post expired. ]
    Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; Sunday, 31st December, 2017, 01:34 PM.

Re: FIDE-rated Blitz in Montreal on holiday Monday, May 22

[ Post expired. ]

Comment

Too bad you chose to do this the last day of the Ontario Open, only a couple of hours away in Ottawa. We're looking forward to more Montreal chess friends joining us this long weekend!

Comment

This weekend - there is also the Chess Challenge, and a big tournament in Saratoga NY.

The only way such an event will work is with consistency. Montreal had blitz tournaments every Friday night (and sometimes several other times a week) for over 35 years - me organizing many of them, and rating all of them. People want ratings that change frequently, and most players won't care about a one-time FIDE blitz rating. I don't know what the rating fees are for FIDE blitz tournaments, but I (and now the FQE) charge(d) nothing to rate them.

The FQE has had only 10 rated blitz events this year (22 all last year), and no more than 3 in the same location. How can you generate interest in a rating system with such a small pool of tournaments/players? In Montreal, you would have to bring back the weekly (ended in 2006) 20+ player events, cut down the entry fees to about $10 (they were $5 when I was running them), and maximize the prize distribution (I gave out roughly 90%).

Montreal blitz results and crosstables) back to 1981 (I have earlier ones if anyone is interested): http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/blitze.htm

Comment

[ Post expired. ]

Comment

[ Post expired. ]

Comment

[ Post expired. ]

Comment

[ Post expired. ]
                Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; Sunday, 31st December, 2017, 01:35 PM.

Comment

[ Post expired. ]
                  Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; Sunday, 31st December, 2017, 01:35 PM.

Comment

The fact that the entries went from 7 to 19 in just 2 days after posting or advertising the tournament for the first time ever simply indicates a poor job advertising.

I don't think it matters how many titled players and different chess playing federations sign up for a tournament that gets cancelled. Comical thread overall ;)

Comment

Working...
                    X